First "live" shift.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

TG82

First "live" shift.

Post by TG82 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:38 pm

Ok, so I've done my poelt course and my weeks shadowing and I've got my first live shift tomorrow. And I'll be honest I'm anxious, really anxious, I just don't feel prepared, like I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be doing. Is this normal? I just feel a bit useless, I'm asking loads of questions but it seems like the other Officers are losing patience with my constant enquiries, but I really don't want to mess up or embarrass myself by doing something stupid. I've been told don't worry it will eventually "click" but in the meantime all I can do to answer prisoner questions is say I don't know. Was it like this when everyone else started?

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: First "live" shift.

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:41 am

Im sure everyone feels anxious on there first day. You will be fine and lots of support around if you need it :slbg:
Good luck and be sure to let us know how you get on!
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
A&C decision 24/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 22/08

Taff86
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Taff86 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:04 pm

You'll be fine pal

Craig79
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Craig79 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Hey TG82,

Hope your first Live shift went well , be interesting to hear how it went - All good I hope . C
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Video Appointment - 20 MAY
Conditional Offer - 29 JUNE
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - Still Waiting ??

londonlad81
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by londonlad81 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:47 pm

You’re new and just left training. No one should expect you to know everything already. Ask questions and if in doubt get back to them ( if a prisoner asks you something you’re unsure of). Don’t take on too much all at once- you’ll be flooded with request from prisoners, although visits aren’t taking place as I understand it.
Hopefully you’ll work with some helpful colleagues but sadly some won’t be.

If you have any probs speak to your SO/ CM.
Sadly I left in my probation period but it honestly takes time to get used to the job- probably a year or even two to really understand jail craft.
Don’t put yourself in unnecessary danger, always keep an eye on a colleague so help is never far away.

You’ll notice some staff do things their own way, but this can lead to inconsistencies. You’ll hear prisoners saying things like “come on gov, let me out to clean, Mr Smith always does.”
Don’t let someone out unless there is someone on the wing with you and don’t be afraid to say no. Ultimately you’re in charge, be prepared for a bit of verbal. Nature of the job.
Good luck and give it a go, you’ll know soon enough if the job is for you or not.

londonlad81
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by londonlad81 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Also keep a notebook and pen on you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic