Prison Officer medical question.

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
TWD89

Prison Officer medical question.

Post by TWD89 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:08 am

Hi guys, brand new to this forum. I'm ex police, I took a blow to the head which has actually led to me developing a very slight form of epilepsy. I was thinking about leaving before it happened anyway so it was the last push to be honest. Its been about 2 years since the seizures, which were focal point not full on petit or grand mal, so was basically a very short period of confusion :? . I have no known triggers, all tests have been complete and there are no irregularities, so I have been clinically diagnosed and placed on the lowest possible dose of medication 25mg, tiny.

Now with everything done and having been out of work for ages whilst being tested, I'm looking to start a new career at 30, I don't want to go back to the Police, 10 years is enough. But I'm worried that I'll fail the medical for the Prison Service and its a lot of hoops to jump through just to fail at the medical, though 'technically' disabled, I'm not 'actually' disabled. I've searched for any medical PDFs and website application guidance but the guidelines for medical conditions seem to be entirely absent.

Is there anyone with experience who might be able to help? Or anyone know anyone in similar circumstance? I know people will suggest messaging recruitment but I don't want to be spun a line just for them to get a disability box checked in applications. If you know what I mean.

TMH90
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Prison Officer medical question.

Post by TMH90 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 am

Hi TWD89, sorry to hear about the injury. Hmpps use OH Assist to conduct the medical side of things (questionnaires/screening). You might find more information using the search function and looking for topics relating to OH Assist. Hope that helps :slby:

TWD89

Re: Prison Officer medical question.

Post by TWD89 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Ah thats great, thanks so much! :slbg:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic