work force modernisation

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Thepower
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

work force modernisation

Post by Thepower » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 pm

I had a disciplined background and thought HMP would be perfect upon leaving,

My first 5 or so years at a local nick before it got sold down the river into g4 were my best years ever. I was lucky and transferred out just before so I could remain in HMP uniform,

However with work force modernisation the whole job changed literally overnight with VEDs been offered and a complete reduction in staff I feel as the job would have been exactly the same in the private sector.

Left around August 2016 luckily i was young enough to be able to move into a totally different service which although has its problems it is nothing like the state of HMP when I left.

I'm out of touch with prison life now, however I've attended hmp premises a number of times as part of my current role.... I must say it still seems a complete mess
Last edited by falkor on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from Reasons for joining the service

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Reasons for joining service

Post by falkor » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:17 am

Good morning Thepower,
what brought about work force modernisation in the first place? was it simply austerity cuts following the banking crisis in 2008? who did VEDs target? was this about seeing the Early Redundancy of Experienced Prison Officers? and what percentage of a prison's Officers would see VEDs happen? 50% ? welcome back BTW :slby:

Kirk
Counsellor
Counsellor

Re: Reasons for joining service

Post by Kirk » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Workforce modernisation was all about saving money sad really

Thepower
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: work force modernisation

Post by Thepower » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 am

Jesus I was meant to reply to a thread and started a whole new topic....

:slwh: :slwh: :slwh:

Thepower
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: work force modernisation

Post by Thepower » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:12 am

Workforce modernisation basically meant cheaper staff...less staff the government got there way eventually and got there officer 2s.

Veds was basically seen as a way to reduce "pre fresh start" officers by offering them an enticing financial package, but of course these guys were never replaced leaving a massive shortage of staff numbers and experience which will never ever be replaced.

Maybe if these can be merged into why I joined HMP topic?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic