The ARC Written Tests

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
londonlad81
Official Member
Official Member

The ARC Written Tests

Post by londonlad81 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm

I went through the recruitment process almost a decade ago, did the RAD day as it was then in Rochester.
Got an assessment day in Croydon coming up, I’m a bit worried about the written tests. Are block capitals ok? Most people I noticed in the prison service used block capitals when writing in the Obs books and computers are used more now anyway.
Are the writing tests anything to worry about and will I lose points for using capitals letters?! Handwriting isn’t the best.!
Appreciate any advice.

PO1678w
Rookie Member

Re: The ARC Written Tests

Post by PO1678w » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm

I'll be honest mate, I thought I'd be fine in the writing test but probably found it the hardest part of the day. Don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of block capitals, they did say to us not to worry too much about spelling either, I think they're more looking to see if you can follow the question and then paraphrase the information they're asking for. It's quite a lot of writing in a short space of time is the bit I wasn't prepared for. Lots of luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:17 pm

If I remember rightly, there are two parts.

You are given a brief about a prisoner, you have to bullet point your plan of action for this prisoner.

The second part, you must write a report for your superior regarding this prisoner.

The most time consuming part of the ARC, think they are looking to see if you can get all of the important information across.

londonlad81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by londonlad81 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:24 pm

I’m a bit worried about the medical too. When I was in the Forces blood pressure tests and needles never bothered me. However now they do! I got myself a blood pressure reader from argos and to be honest the readings really do vary from one to another, even when I do three in a row! I think the noise and feel of the cuff just gets me anxious! I regard myself as reasonably fit otherwise.
Last edited by londonlad81 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:25 pm

In the written test, everything is in front of you, it’s how you use that information, you’ll be fine man, don’t panic, you have plenty of time on the test

What about your medical ?

Vinceybaby
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Vinceybaby » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Just avoid coffee and any caffeinated drinks before your medical it can skew your reading. :slno:

Evie
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Evie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:50 pm

When I had my medical, my blood pressure was high (140/95). It was because I was so nervous. The nurse checked the instructions and told me is not high enough to send me home, but I had to stop anything I was doing at anytime if I felt unwell. Also, I had to go (next day the latest) to my gp and have my blood pressure checked again. They wanted to see in my records that a nurse/doctor checked it and it was normal.

londonlad81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by londonlad81 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:02 pm

I think I read that if it’s 170/100 then you can it sit the fitness test. I wouldn’t say that 140/95 was overly high to be honest. When I registered at a new GP surgery they took it a few time which was quite high but then did it the old fashioned way (the hand pump one) and it was normal.
Some people like me just get nervous with medical things!

Snowy206
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Snowy206 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:06 pm

140/95 is high, it's the lower number that is usually the problem, under 80 is great, 95 on the high side, 100 would definitely be classed as high........ I had mine done several times at arc, nurse was great and made me relax and breathe slowly.

londonlad81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by londonlad81 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:25 pm

That’s good mate hope you passed the ARC. The thing is blood pressure readings do vary. Taking a few deep breaths and relaxing should lower it, as I said since getting older if think I got white collar syndrome, a fear of medical things, not sure why I guess it’s one of those things!
I’ve cut out caffeine and sugary drinks though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic