high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

officer assaults

Post by falkor » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:39 am

cop hold of this iplayer report https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... a-03022020 (skip to 11:11) "ASSAULTS HAVE TREBLED"

memphis
Official Member
Official Member

Re: officer assaults

Post by memphis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:48 pm

Ask any prisoner who has kicked off why they have kicked off and 9 times out of 10 they will say something along the lines of "I havent had my meds" or "I asked boss for xyz and he never came back to me".
The meds thing we (as officers) can't fix but the other issue of staff not sorting individual issues out can be fixed by having more officers on the landings. It's as simple as that. More Officers means less questions to answer and issues to resolve per officer. The issue of drugs can only be solved by extra security measures but if those issues are being addressed resulting in healthcare being asked for more prescribed meds then the next step is sorting the healthcare in prisons out.
Are there enough nurses and gp's in prisons? Probably not.

I can't see violence ever going away but if you have a colleague on the same landing as you rather than on the landing above or below then surely that's better?

I feel for the fella in the video who has left the service and I hope that he isn't too mentally effected by it.
M :slcoo:

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 pm

Some naughty scars there mind

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am

I agree that the violence won’t be going away anytime soon, as mentioned in the video about drug debt, also, the unsavoury characters in today’s society, there is so many people now who simply don’t care about how they behave and what laws they are breaking, so assaulting an officer is no bother, as what repercussions are there ?

gaboo
Official Member
Official Member

Post by gaboo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm

memphis wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:48 pm
Ask any prisoner who has kicked off why they have kicked off and 9 times out of 10 they will say something along the lines of "I havent had my meds" or "I asked boss for xyz and he never came back to me".
100% this.

One thing that used to really grind my gears is when an officer would say they will do something for a prisoner, and then just not do it - whether they just said it to keep the prisoner happy at that moment, or whether they genuinely forgot, it doesn't matter to the prisoner.

One huge piece of advise i was given when i started and always stuck with me, If you cant do it, tell them. you will get a lot more respect both as an officer and as a human being if you are just honest with them.

I have lost track of the amount of times i have told a prisoner that i already have a lot of queries to do, and IF I can do theres afterwards i will, but if not then i will look into it on my next shift.

A lot of times the prisoners are getting frustrated that we, as officers, are their lifeline to finding out everything pretty much. Finances? we check that. Approved Visitors? We check that. Appointment with OMU? We can assist with that. Its when they are feeling let down and neglected by staff that the chances of assaults (in my opinion) increase dramatically.

obviously there will always be cases where violence is going to happen and be around regardless. but its about limiting the potential for these.

and again, What Memphis has said requiring extra staff, this will undoubtedly be a massive help in resolving some of these issues
If not us, who? If not now, when?

Applied: July 2016
RAD: July 2016
Results: August 2016
Conditional Offer: October 2016
POELT Started: January 2017
Left Service: March 2019

Re-applied: January 2020
ARC(??): February 2020

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic