Assessment Centre Medical - Eye Test

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

geebee95

Assessment Centre Medical - Eye Test

Post by geebee95 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:51 am

Hi,

I have my assessment day on the 27th February and I am really concerned about the eye test.

I wear contact lenses and i'm a -3.50 in my left eye, and -3 in my right, when I have my lenses in (as i always do!) i can see perfectly, however obviously without them my vision is not good

I know that during my medical they will test my vision without my lenses and i'm really unsure whether I am going to pass this which is worrying me quite a lot

Is anyone else similar to me in eyesight and has taken/passed the test during their medical?

It seems pretty unfair to not be given a chance based on my eyesight as I would NEVER go anywhere without lenses in

Any help/experience on this would be much appreciated! Thank you"

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Assessment Centre Medical - Eye Test

Post by JCOX4 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi Geebee, welcome to the forum.
I also wear contacts, although my strength isnt as strong as yours. The Dr asked if I would be wearing them when working which I said yes I would be. She told me to leave them in for the eye test. May be different for different venues but thats my experience. Hope it helps and good luck
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
A&C decision 24/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 22/08

Paddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Paddy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Had mine in november although my contacts and glasses aren't as strong as yours. I'm pretty sure it's the second line down on the chart you must pass without glasses or contacts. But I actually had a test at specsavers the week before so asked them to check and she said I should be ok
Applied 30/09/19
Online Tests 30/09/19
Results 01/10/19
Arc Manchester 21/11/19
Extra I.D. taken to be verified 12/12/19
Conditional Offer 15/01/20
Vetting Began 16/01/20
Vetting Passed 27/01/20
Start date 30/03/20

geebee95

Post by geebee95 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Thank you both!

Hopefully they will do the same and let me keep mine on, but it does say in my paperwork they'll test with and without so i'm preparing for the worst!

I printed off a copy of the test last night and looked from 5 metres away (I believe on the day I will have to do 6 although hopefully this doesn't happen) and I couldn't even see the paper let alone read the letters!

Really is quite sad if I can't progress based on this factor alone

Thanks again for replying!

Paddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Paddy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:31 pm

I can say, where I did mine was definitely not 6 meters. I dont even think the room was that long lol. I do understand to a certain extent, it's all about your safety and others around. The worry is that glasses and contacts can get knocked off/moved whilst dealing with an incident (admittedly there is less chance with contacts) and if you can't see what's coming at you, it puts everyone at risk. Hopefully you will surprise yourself, I know I was nervous. Just remember that they check this every year too, so even if you pass, it could get worse and then you've no job. Laser eye surgery is an option too they do allow that. When I did mine, I was that nervous, I missed the gigantic O that's on the top line and started below it. I.agine failing on that one hahahaha
Applied 30/09/19
Online Tests 30/09/19
Results 01/10/19
Arc Manchester 21/11/19
Vetting Began 16/01/20
Vetting Passed 27/01/20
Start date 30/03/20

geebee95
Rookie Member

Post by geebee95 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 pm

I did think that 6 metres seemed an incredibly long distance and it would have to be a big room! But knowing my luck it will be!!

It does make sense about them coming out during an incident, I had suspicions this would be the reason for it! Incredibly frustrating to be born with this awful eyesight!!!

I didn't know that you had to do this every year, i knew it would be something you did have to repeat but not as often!! My eyesight gets worse every time i go to the opticians and i'm only 24! Maybe it may be worth me rethinking this entire process :slhmm:

Haha that would definitely not be good to fail on!! Nerves can do terrible things to people... I will definitely be in the same way when i go!!

Thanks again for your help, i really appreciate it

geebee95
Rookie Member

Post by geebee95 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:13 pm

I did think that 6 metres seemed an incredibly long distance and it would have to be a big room! But knowing my luck it will be!!

It does make sense about them coming out during an incident, I had suspicions this would be the reason for it! Incredibly frustrating to be born with this awful eyesight!!!

I didn't know that you had to do this every year, i knew it would be something you did have to repeat but not as often!! My eyesight gets worse every time i go to the opticians and i'm only 24! Maybe it may be worth me rethinking this entire process :slhmm:

Haha that would definitely not be good to fail on!! Nerves can do terrible things to people... I will definitely be in the same way when i go!!

Thanks again for your help, i really appreciate it

Paddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Paddy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Sounds like it's a fairly newish test. I have a family in this career who had no idea there was an eye test. He spoke with his manager for me who looked into and said it's the second line down without and driving standard with lenses.

Dont give up now, not knowing if you would have passed will do your head in lol
Applied 30/09/19
Online Tests 30/09/19
Results 01/10/19
Arc Manchester 21/11/19
Vetting Began 16/01/20
Vetting Passed 27/01/20
Start date 30/03/20

geebee95
Rookie Member

Post by geebee95 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 am

I will be ok with lenses I know that for definite but I can barely see my own hand without glasses or lenses :| it is a huge inconvenience!

That's very true! I will definitely still go to see what happens. Who knows I may pass the eye test then surprise myself and fail on something else!!

RatherLargeDave
Rookie Member

Post by RatherLargeDave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm

When you go into the room, pay attention and keep an eye out for the chart before you take contacts/glasses out/off

geebee95
Rookie Member

Post by geebee95 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:51 pm

That's a very good idea!!!!

Belfast86
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Belfast86 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:33 pm

@geebee95. Did you sit your eye test it??

I am in a similar predicament. I have a lazy left eye ruled at 6/20 with corrective lens. My right eye is 6/5 which is better than 20/20.

I have never worn glasses as I was told a lazy eye could only be treated at a very young age..

I am due in with a laser eye consultant soon to see if there is hope for me. Without corrective vision my left eye is 6/60

My thinking is if corrective lens can get me 6/20 that’s the third line down. Maybe laser surgery could help me enough to pass.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic