Credit checks in vetting

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
Moonagedaydream
Registered Member
Registered Member

Credit checks in vetting

Post by Moonagedaydream »

Hey!

I’m in the process of applying to be a prison officer and I just have some questions about the vetting process.
Is a credit check carried out? I have a two credit cards and I do have a balance on them both. It’s not a crazy amount but it might take me a year or so to clear the full amount.

Would this be something of concern whilst going through vetting?

My credit score is just regular and I have no bankruptcies ect.

Thanks!
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Credit checks in vetting

Post by Taff86 »

No that shouldn't be a issue, aslong your making the payments. Should be fine. Nothing to worry about

Post by Guest »

Taff86 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:10 am No that shouldn't be a issue, aslong your making the payments. Should be fine. Nothing to worry about
Thanks for the response! So a financial check is carried out in vetting then? Is it a similar check as the police so when they recruit new staff?
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

Yeah they do a credit check, couldn't say if its the same as the police id presume so. Just be open and honest, there's a comment box on the section to explain situations people find themselves in.
Labgurl1993
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Labgurl1993 »

I didn't realise they did this is it in certain places or do they do it everywhere? I'm from Lincolnshire xx
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

If your in lots of debt they could look to it as a possible avenue for a con to condition you to be corrupt, ie bring something in for them for payment. No one credit history is perfect but just be honest and explain things to them and you'll be fine.
Previous topicNext topic