New parents-going back to work.

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: Chryo

outcast97
Registered Member
Registered Member

New parents-going back to work.

Post by outcast97 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Me and my partner had our first child back in July,All has been fine up until the reality that she is due back at work in March.

Now we both normally work full time, at the moment obviously she is on maternity leave. I earn a basic salary of 16k plus commision which probably takes me up to about 1400-1500 take home a month.

My partner wants to go back to work but it's not really a option at the moment due to nobody nearby to look after our child and she doesn't drive so it would literally be her working to cover childcare and travel costs.

The issue we have is that we are going to be skint unless we come to some sort of solution, she is looking for work closer to home and more reasonable hours but as of yet hasn't found anything.

I probably earn 1400 pound a month, after next month she won't be getting a penny so that will be our only income. Our bills total around 1600 so we are going to be a bit short.

Now my question is, if she was to stay at home and watch our 7 month old baby surely we aren't expected to live off just my wage?
What would we be entitled to claim? And if the answer is nothing then how do people get by??

It's really stressing me out with panic about money and how we will get by etc. P.S I will also say we aren't spongers and both work full time and have done since we were old enough too.
We dont want to claim single and we do want to be completely legitimate, I am in the process of accepting a job on £22,396 salary in the next 3 months or so as a officer but surely we are entitled to more than that as our bills alone total more than that.

Sorry about how long winded this post is. Thanks to anybody who takes the time to read it and reply also!!

Regards
A stressed out partner and dad!!

Sharknado
Official Member
Official Member

Re: New parents-going back to work.

Post by Sharknado » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I don’t have kids nor a family even a partner but surely you are entitled to child care help vouchers and tax credits?

I’ve never claimed anything; perhaps pop into the CAB or look at the calculators on the .gov websites?

An ex of mine managed to get help with housing and child care. Circumstances were a private rented property and a child under two. Got help paying rent and for kiddie to go nursery.

I really hope someone else can provide more help and best of luck.

Hjl
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hjl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Hiya, youll be able to claim: Child benefit, Child tax credit, housing benefit and council tax benefit.

If you go on entitledto.com it calculates almost to the penny exactly what you're entitled to
Rad- 24.09.17
Conditional Offer - 13.10.17
Pre Employment Forms Submitted - 16.10.17
The Call - 15.12.17
Start as OSG - 05.02.18
POELT - 02.04.18 @ Wymott

Sharknado
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Sharknado » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 pm

What they said!! One stop shop 😁

Could you perhaps pm that link to the op in case they miss it Hjl please?

😊

TY

Hjl
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hjl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 pm

outcast97 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:54 pm
Me and my partner had our first child back in July,All has been fine up until the reality that she is due back at work in March.

Now we both normally work full time, at the moment obviously she is on maternity leave. I earn a basic salary of 16k plus commision which probably takes me up to about 1400-1500 take home a month.

My partner wants to go back to work but it's not really a option at the moment due to nobody nearby to look after our child and she doesn't drive so it would literally be her working to cover childcare and travel costs.

The issue we have is that we are going to be skint unless we come to some sort of solution, she is looking for work closer to home and more reasonable hours but as of yet hasn't found anything.

I probably earn 1400 pound a month, after next month she won't be getting a penny so that will be our only income. Our bills total around 1600 so we are going to be a bit short.

Now my question is, if she was to stay at home and watch our 7 month old baby surely we aren't expected to live off just my wage?
What would we be entitled to claim? And if the answer is nothing then how do people get by??

It's really stressing me out with panic about money and how we will get by etc. P.S I will also say we aren't spongers and both work full time and have done since we were old enough too.
We dont want to claim single and we do want to be completely legitimate, I am in the process of accepting a job on £22,396 salary in the next 3 months or so as a officer but surely we are entitled to more than that as our bills alone total more than that.

Sorry about how long winded this post is. Thanks to anybody who takes the time to read it and reply also!!

Regards
A stressed out partner and dad!!
Here's the link:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk
Rad- 24.09.17
Conditional Offer - 13.10.17
Pre Employment Forms Submitted - 16.10.17
The Call - 15.12.17
Start as OSG - 05.02.18
POELT - 02.04.18 @ Wymott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic