all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

DrTadWinslow
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Fitness tests

Post by DrTadWinslow » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Unlucky Charlotte!

I wish you all the best in your next attempt.

Regards

Dr Tad Winslow

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 pm

So sorry to hear that Charlotte you got close so I'm sure next time your pass with ease now you know what to expect. The videos online of the bleep test make it look so easy!! Very misleading. I'm dreading mine but I'm going to start spiriting on the treadmill to up my lungs as now they are shocking plus I've got chicken legs lol.

Loosing a stone I'm sure you don't need to do that!?

Keep up what your doing and keep smiling and focus on the next test your smash it 🙏

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:15 am

Jambogmail1 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 pm
So sorry to hear that Charlotte you got close so I'm sure next time your pass with ease now you know what to expect. The videos online of the bleep test make it look so easy!! Very misleading. I'm dreading mine but I'm going to start spiriting on the treadmill to up my lungs as now they are shocking plus I've got chicken legs lol.

Loosing a stone I'm sure you don't need to do that!?

Keep up what your doing and keep smiling and focus on the next test your smash it 🙏

The videos certainly are very misleading. You definitely need to incorporate speed training into your sessions. I’m going to keep doing 2 distance runs a week as I enjoy that as a personal goal but then I’m going to do another 2 sessions solely focusing on speed and then a bleep test once a week.

Oh yes definitely could do with shifting a stone or two. Definitely going to use this as an incentive. Will help with my over all wellness and will definitely help with my fitness levels.

Are you any closer to getting a confirmed date?!

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:46 am

I know treadmill training isn't the best but as my cardio is shocking I will use that to improve it level 5.4 is about 10.2km on the treadmill so starting at 8.4 every minute I will up .5km on a incline of .1 to replicate roads and the gym motivates me much more than going on a the road as I really do not enjoy running at all. But also will do park training to practice turns as I hear that's one of the main things that can help.

It's good you enjoy running that's definitely a bonus for you. Reading online people saying you can do the bleep test with little to preparation is wrong.

No still no news online had a email yesterday saying they will be in touch wen they know. I'm happy it's not now as I know I would fail.

Did you get to do the scenarios?

I wanna drop a bit of weight to I'm 78kg so wanna loose my dad bod tyre lol you never know we may be on the same course next time 😁 kind of would be good to be there with someone you know to push eachother further

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:55 am

You’re 78kg and you want to lose weight 😬 ! Yikes !

I believe that if you are training on a treadmill, you need to start off at a walk, increasing speed and incline every 60-90 seconds for 10 minutes maximum, as the test itself isn’t very long, so why spend 30 minutes on a treadmill ?!

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:07 pm

At least you get another bite at the cherry Charlotte, and you know what you need to do for 6 weeks time 👍🏻

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Great advice as always Bear 👍 really good advice thanks I'll definitely put that into motion.

Yea want to loose the belly but then put muscle back on as I've lost some since I've been out of the gym for while I messed my shoulder up in my MMA class. But all good now so time to put training 1st so I can get a pass and get on the landings.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Well that’s only my opinion, doesn’t mean I’m right like !!

Also, like other members have said, download an app or use YouTube to practice the real thing, so when you can do it in practice you know you can do it on the test

Bet MMA training was TOUGH !!

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:20 pm

I've downloaded the app so will use that too I've got some cones to mark out the distance, MMA is tough boxing I find easy but ground work takes it right out of you so easy to get a injury just training for fun, another reason I want to prove my cardio. But it's a completely different type of cardio used than running.

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:13 pm

No I did my scenarios in February! My arc was in Birmingham but they don’t have the facility for fitness testing. I’ve applied for a YJW role for Feltham so did 4 scenarios!

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:29 am

How were they? I've still got to do mine. Any advice?

Deleted User 12971

Post by Deleted User 12971 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Remain calm, challenge derogatory behaviour, if something is bothering them always ask why they're upset and what you can do to make their situation better. If they ask you to break prison rules be firm with them and tell them you cant do it. If theres something you dont know the answer to say you'll ask your manager and get back to them.

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Good advice thanks, im guessing it's best to use there name rather than "mate" or anything to friendly

Deleted User 12971

Post by Deleted User 12971 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Yes, address them by their name. You'll be given a folder with case notes in before hand with all the info you'll need about the role play

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Absolutely everything previous poster has suggested.

I look back and one thing I forgot to do was get close to the actors. I remained too far away whereas I think of you approach cautiously once rapport has been built that will help.

Don’t raise your voice, reprimand derogatory statements / name calling. Get on a level and talk through the concerns. Don’t tell them to calm down etc as I think they are trigger words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic