Fitness tests

all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Fitness tests

Post by Charlotteisace » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am

Absolutely. I just need to really focus. It’s a really weird mental block that I keep facing.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:31 pm

During my bleep test, we all encouraged each other, especially the members who were struggling, like I have said before, only 2 out of 7 of my group passed, simply down to preparation, or lack of for the people who failed.

You get 2 or 3 warnings before you get pulled off the test so you know you need to kick your own arse or you will fail.

Preparation is key, if you know you are capable, then apart from the usual butterflies in your tummy, you should pass no problem.

Haway, I’m about as mobile as a vending machine, if I can pass.....anyone can !

YOU GOTTA WANT IT !

Deleted User 12971

Post by Deleted User 12971 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Tip for the bleep test: wear the right shoes! I done mine with a lad who was just sliding all over the place cause the soles of his shoes were like a foam material. The bleep test itself isn't that hard, you dont have to be that fit to pass it. I dont really do any physical exercise and was only just starting to pant by the end of it.

Edit: and we all encouraged each other to push on which helped

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:09 pm

That good advice guys, I'm not unfit but neither am I fit so I definitely need some preparation but agree the drive with others in the bleep test will help. And I've got foam trainers so will use those. I really want to be prepared but my running isnt great I just get mentally blocked when I run and give up but I will keep trying to change that.

Deleted User 12971

Post by Deleted User 12971 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Jambogmail1 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:09 pm
That good advice guys, I'm not unfit but neither am I fit so I definitely need some preparation but agree the drive with others in the bleep test will help. And I've got foam trainers so will use those. I really want to be prepared but my running isnt great I just get mentally blocked when I run and give up but I will keep trying to change that.
I meant the foam trainers were really bad for grip mate, he couldnt stop himself once he reached the line on the other side to turn round. Rubber soles would be best

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Maybe you could wear roller skates Jambog 🤣

kingofthekippax
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kingofthekippax » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:10 pm

My advice for fitness test, is prepare. Download a beep test app, set yourself up a course and have a few practice runs. Get used to the pace. For The shield test practice with dumbells or a couple of 4 /6 pint milk bottles.. I was really in poor shape but with some prep passed 1st time. Im now in post and readying for my annual refresher.. dont over think it and listen to instructions
:sley:

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Pier8V wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 pm
Jambogmail1 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:09 pm
I meant the foam trainers were really bad for grip mate, he couldnt stop himself once he reached the line on the other side to turn round. Rubber soles would be best
Oh right I'll get myself a pair then anything to help will be a bonus.

Craig79
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Craig79 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:31 pm

I'm not the fittest guy mate , but honestly all I can add to what has been previously said is this ...... how much do you want this job ? And think about it just before you do the test...... I did, and it got me through it with ease, I say ease , I as outta breath after it, but once its done , its done ...... all the best to you, and hope it goes well...
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Video Appointment - 20 MAY
Conditional Offer - 29 JUNE
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - Still Waiting ??

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:38 pm

The thing is I consider myself to be pretty fit. I’m running 2 miles 3x a week and that’s from not being able to run for a minute. I am hoping on Friday I can use others as pacers like some of you had said. There’s something about it I just find really, really difficult. I am going to go into it and give it the best I physically can. I am happy it can be retaken, worst case scenario. If I have to I have already said to myself I need to start increasing my speed and incorporating sprinting and short bursts into my training. Curiously I think men tend to find the tests easier as you typically have larger strides. My husband who doesn’t ever work out can do it with his eyes closed and he does a fast walk on level 1. I’ve tried to do it but I just can’t keep up :slbg:

I’ve got the strength test nailed. I’ve been practising with an 8kg kettlebell and have had no issues there so at least I can confidently pass one thing

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 pm

You’ll have no bother man Charlotte 👍🏻

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 pm

Agreed 3 X 2 miles is impressive! Your easily pass I'm struggling to get a mile but know I can go further just as everyone is saying how much do I ant it so tommorow it's time to push it! And pase match when i do the test. Best of luck

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by JCOX4 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:04 am

Good luck guys, but seriously dont worry too much. Like mentioned before you get 2 or 3 strikes then you are out. All bar 1 at my ARC passed, and no offence but they guy who failed it was never going to pass it without some serious exercise and dieting if you know what I mean..
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start 04/01/21 :slcup:

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 am

Thanks chaps. Well I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow! Decided to be kind to myself and actually get the train into Croydon rather than battle the m25 traffic so will update once I’ve completed!!

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Hey

So just thought I’d update you all! Unfortunately I didn’t pass the bleep test today BUT I got up to 4.7 which I am dead chuffed with as that is the furthest I have managed to date. Gonna kick my arse and give myself 6 weeks to try and drop 1 stone as well as pushing myself for those final shuttles. Obviously everyone wants to pass but in a weird way I feel like I know EXACTLY what I am capable of at this current stage and exactly what I will be capable of in 6 weeks with some further hard graft.

Also failed agility by 0.19 second but to be honest that is negligible if I can master the dreaded bleep.

I only had one other guy with me who failed too. The instructor (very very sound guy) gave us a bit of a light hearted bollocking which I think was a good thing!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic