all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
gaboo 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Differences with Adults and YOI - My experiences

Post by gaboo  »

Having had the pleasure ( :slnuts: ) of walking the landing in both a Cat B Local Mens, and a YOI, i thought some might find t interesting to see the differences in the two - at least from my perspective.

Firstly a bit of background on me - I joined the prison service initially in 2017, having previoulsy done around 15 years as a warehouse supervisor, i felt it was time for a change. My first prison was a Cat B Remand / local which housed approx 1000 prisoners. I was based on one of thhe largest wings there, and what was also at times the most volatile - although like most things, it comes and goes in patches. I worked with a great team who i had the utmost trust and respect for, however i left after 2 years of service for personal reason.

A year later i rejoined, but this time at a YOI sentanced (which i has previously always said i would never work at a YOI) which houses approx 600 prisoners. Again i work on one of the larger wings, and with some amazing staff on all levels, from civvy staff, through to governors and everyone in between.

One of the big differences first off is with the kit we are issued with. When i left the service we walked the landings with only a radio, baton, liguature knife and our famouse stab proof white shirts ( :slgy: ), wheras due to changes which have come in, i now carry the same items, however with also PAVA and handcuffs. At first i wasnt too keen on this as had never had any issues with the previous kit, so why the need for these extras? however my opinion now is that it is 1000% better for having these. having seen the potential for de-escelation that comes with them i think its definitely a step in the right direction for the prison service.

I was always of the impression that YOI's are more volatile and violent, however having done both i would have to disagree. i think they are definitely more vocally agressive in a YOI, and - for the want of a better saying 0 spit their dummies out of the pram more, however they seem to act upon it less, especially when aimed at the staff. although when there are incidents, it seems to be more gang related than in my previous adults establishment.

Staffing - the levels are similar, if not slightly higher here at the YOI, and yet the professionalism of all the staff remains the same. The bond and trust which forms between officers is amazing, adnd again i would trust anybodyy who i work on the landings with completely, as i would like to think they do me. And as is a pre-requisit of the job, the dark dark DARK sense of humour is ever present to help us all get through a job unlike any other.

As for the prisoners, it seems in an adults jail we as staff get more respect from prisoners when they can see that we are at least trying to help them, wheras in a YOI it seems (from my perspective at least) that all you do dto help is very quickly forgotton as soon as you say "no" to them.

I think thats the main difference from my perspective, though will add more if i think of any, and am more than happy to answer any questions :)
If not us, who? If not now, when?

Applied: 07/16
POELT Started: 01/17
Left Service: 03/19

Re-applied: 01/20
POELT Started: 06/20

Total Length of Service: 3 Years
Lloydy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Differences with Adults and YOI - My experiences

Post by Lloydy »

Really interesting! Thanks for posting that!
Taff86 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

Great read pal, would you go back to a cat b? Or any other establishment?
Tia 
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tia  »

Great insight into both roles and encouraging to read that staff are there for each other too.
gaboo 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by gaboo  »

Taff86 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 am Great read pal, would you go back to a cat b? Or any other establishment?
Absoloutely. its wierd how different the different types of prisons can be, but id happily go back to a Cat B.

Incidentally, my next prison i would like to try would be the female estate. purely because the challenges there i have heard are once again a whole different world. im hopinh for some detached duties to come up at one in the future which i can apply for

gaboo 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by gaboo  »

Tia wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:00 pm encouraging to read that staff are there for each other too.
Absoloutely. without the staff the job would be horrible, both physically and mentally. Id feel more than happy to discuss things with some members of my team that i wouldnt even like to talk to my family at home about, purely because you know that they know exactly what your going through, whereas it can be hard to explain to someone who hasnt experienced the true reality of what it can be like behind those walls. its amazing what a difference having a good team around you can make, and not just with officers either, from civvies all the way to the SMT can make a huge difference

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tia  »

I think that is one of, if not, my only concern going into this role. I've been self employed for so long and haven't worked as part of a team for some time now. I miss being around other people day to day and working as a team and I feel that this aspect can make or break the job. I'm hopeful that whoever I'll be working alongside in the future will have the same worth ethic as how you've described in your post.
gaboo 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by gaboo  »

i wouldnt be too concerned about it, although it is only natural to be. You might feel a bit on the "outside" when you first go there, but be yourself and you will very quickly find your place within the group dynamics and be accepted. I have yet to see any officers who dont fit in, even the "weird" ones (which in a way is all of us :D )

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tia  »

Lol! I'm happy to embrace everyone's "weirdness". 😂

I was thinking myself that further down the line it would be good to move establishments to gain more experience. I've been offered a role in a women's prisons as its the closest one to me. However, I'm also intrigued in the male ones too.
Previous topicNext topic