all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
MuayThaiRy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Here He Is With Another Question - Work/Lifestyle Balance

Post by MuayThaiRy »

I’ve always been a 7-5 Monday Friday person, weekends off. I applied for a flexi-shift on both my applications. One reason is me and my fiancé own a horse and she works shifts too and we don’t fancy paying even more money for the yard owner to do our job. I also Thai box and would hate to stop that, these may all seem shit excuses to you.

But I’m diagnosed BPD and have been for 8 years now, I take medication both morning and night, morning I’m fine. Well I hope I am because I’m a scaffolder haha. Roughly 9/10PM I take my night time medication one antipsychotic (no I’m not a complete nutcase in anyway :slwoot: ) and another very special tablet which contains a tranquilizer (shit I sound crazy) don’t judge me guys I’m sane as they come. Both combined make me extremely sleepy, sometimes within 30 minutes I’m flat out. Would this be okay with me applying for the flexi? I’ll literally work every shift thrown at me but I couldn’t at say past 9 really. Unless are you allowed to sleep on the job until morning? hahahahaha
Applied As YCW - 15/02/21
Completed Stage 1 & 2 - 15/02/21
Successful Email - 16/02/21
ARC Booked On 16/02/21 For 08/03/21
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Here He Is With Another Question - Work/Lifestyle Balance

Post by Charlotteisace »

You’ll deffo be expected to do night shifts. I think shift rotas are around 13 weeks with 1 week of nights I’m not sure though. I would say though you may be able to ask for a reasonable adjustment to your role that excludes you from the nights. I think it’s definitely worth asking.
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

There are always officers that like to pick up other peoples nights so wouldn't worry about that. Speak to your line manager about the hours etc I know there are some with me that have the same week day off etc but I dont know any details about it.
MuayThaiRy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MuayThaiRy »

Hey again Charl, I feel like I’ve just got everything in front of me stopping me and it’s really getting me down now. Yeah I thought about reasonable adjustments, I may be fine at night while working I’ve never done so but from what happens to me in general I’d be more of a hindered than a help. Actually really pissed off me wit and my fucked up head now haha.

Taff that’s amazing information mate, I wouldn’t mind picking there shifts up to cover them either. I’m working 50 hours a week now so still got between 13 & 9 hours where I would very happily cover shifts and even more tbf.
Applied As YCW - 15/02/21
Completed Stage 1 & 2 - 15/02/21
Successful Email - 16/02/21
ARC Booked On 16/02/21 For 08/03/21
Previous topicNext topic