Fitness tests

all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Fitness tests

Post by Charlotteisace » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Beefy I hear you. I have struggled with the bleep test too.

I’m going to sound blunt here and definitely don’t intend it to be but walking is no comparison to running. I used to absolutely hate running but I love it now. I can run about 1.5 miles but I still can’t nail the bleep test because I just don’t have the speed or the cardio levels required for it. My advice is go out, give it a go and judge your running levels. You absolutely need to focus on speed over length. That’s where I went wrong, I thought I was progressing well because my distance was getting better but my speed wasn’t improving. Hope this helps.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:33 am

It’s nee good pounding the pavements or treadmill for ages, practice the actual test on a measured flat surface, OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER until you nail it, then you know for certain that you can achieve it.

I did this a couple of times a week but would also supplement this with some work on a stepper and increase the intensity every minute, for around ten minutes in total, twice a week.

I’m a big guy, cardio has never been my thing, I grew up being a goalkeeper as I just couldn’t run, the other lad in my test group was a big bugger, and we were the only ones who passed the bleep test, because for all our disadvantages of being large, we were prepared, if you don’t do this right and put the work in if you have your doubts about fitness, then get a desk job as you aren’t fit enough, to reach a colleague who may be in a life threatening situation, and you couldn’t save their life because you can’t fooking run !!!!

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 am

Agree bear, there are plenty of YouTube videos with the bleep test on and apps you can download.
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start 04/01/21 :slcup:

kingofthekippax
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kingofthekippax » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:37 am

I'm in agreement with Bearguy.. download a bleep test app and practice, 15m track and your phone is all you need. Im not the fittest at 39 years old and 17 stone, but I practice regularly, at the gym I use an app whilst on the treadmill and use the levels as indication to increase speed, also have 15m marked out at home to practice with the turns, treadmill is good, actual track is better as you have to slow for turns and can get the actual pace figured out.
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04 pm

Bear is right and it works, I hate and always have struggled running I’m under 12 stone 5’8 and the run training was working! Now I’m injured I can’t run so pushed my assessment back a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn’t fuck me over, so will be bike ridding to keep cardio going rather sitting down like a coach potato lol

But it really is about prep., it’s a dream job and it’s worth the sweat I hear!! :-)

Jambogmail1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Beefy81 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm
The bleep test is what I'm worried about the most. I can walk continuously for over 6 hours easily but cant run for longer than a minute.I class myself as an active person. I generally walk a minimum of 10000 to 20000 steps on average a day aiming for between 5 and 7 mile daily ,but Ive always struggled running. Mainly breathing whilst running. As daft as it sounds its almost as if I hold my breath whilst running then when I try to breathe I cant breathe 'normally'.
Desperately trying to improve on this as I've held off booking my ARC
I originally put mine off to mate but then no slots became available so my application got withdrawn. I called up and explained no dates have been available abs they put my application back in process. I would book a date soon as you can if you haven’t already so same thing doesn’t happen to you man.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic