all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Newbold Revel...tips and discussion

Post by northorsouth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:10 pm

Evening everyone

Thought I’d put up a little thread about Newbold Revel with quite a few of you going there soon and leave it open for discussions while you’re there

They’re very very strict on the basics there and it’s almost drilled in military style!

No hands in pockets, we’d been there 3-4 mins and one of our guys was told off for this!
Be 5 mins early for everything.
Uniform needs to be spot on, there’s irons to use and they expect it perfect!
Girls hair up in a bun, boys clean shaven or trimmed neat beard.
Black socks! These are a big must and they check daily.
No alcohol in the rooms, there’s a bar but you’ll get your p45 very quickly if you drink in your room.
Wear only issued uniform, got to be issued boots/shoes not your own and definitely no steel toes!
Everyone is Mr surname or Miss/Mrs surname, even classmates but especially the tutors. If you don’t know names, sir or miss goes fine.
On the tutors subject, anyone with 2/3 stripes on epaulettes or in civvie clothes is a tutor or someone higher,
keep to all the rules even more so around them.

The rooms...

They’re a bit basic but pretty good, en-suite, tv, big desk to sort your stuff out when you get tonnes of paperwork, wardrobe and drawers.
Beds are a bit snug and I’m not the tallest of people by far and it can be a bit cold in the rooms so maybe take yourself an extra blanket
Bedding and towels are provided but again you may want extra of your own
One piece of advice I feel should be mandatory is taking an extra T-shirt, pillow case, sheet or anything spare to cover the fire exit light! It may be small but at night makes the whole room glow green and hard to sleep!

Each accommodation wing has a mini kitchen for all your teas, coffees and microwavey stuff plus fridges, definitely worth taking your own cup though, I’m sure some were growing new forms of mould there!

Food...you get 3 meals a day that are ok, there’s usually a few choices but some you have to pay a bit of a top up for, drinks and snacks aren’t included and cost you as well. Avoid the scrambled egg or curry though!!
There’s some vending machines all around the place but you regularly have to go find another as they break all the time! I was told there’s a Tesco express not far away if you want to stock up on a few bits (just remember the no alcohol rule!)

I was only there for a couple of days so have limited experience but thought I’d share what I know so you can be as prepared as possible! I’ve heard of people finding the strictness of it quite a shock. I’m sure the other venues are similar (mine is!) but as I’ve not seen them I can’t comment.

Any questions just drop a reply in
NOS :slre:
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Officially passed arc 06/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

Eirik

Re: Newbold Revel...tips and discussion

Post by Eirik » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Thanks for that. Most helpful 👍

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:42 pm

I love the strictness factor, defo something that needs to be instilled into people.

londonlad81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by londonlad81 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Agree with what has been said. I was at Newbold a number of years ago, but having served in HM Forces the discipline side wasn’t a shock.
After a few weeks, you’ll get to know your tutors and everyone else and it will be better.

RatherLargeDave
Rookie Member

Post by RatherLargeDave » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info, it's good to know. In regards to tonnes of paperwork, is it purely revision or is there work to be done of a evening? I was also wondering whether there was a gym on site?

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:58 pm

Some of it is workbooks to be done during your classes and one we were asked to do on our time off over Christmas (we get a fair few early finishes and had 2 weeks off so no one minded) the rest of it is handouts and information for you to take away but there is a lot!
During your day you’ll shove it all in a folder but I find it helps to keep it in order and keep organised

Yes there is a gym on site, it gets busy at times though depending on classes etc and who’s in the bar instead!

Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

clarky

Post by clarky » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I have just registered for this site and am presently training with NOS and fully agree with him regards the Newbold Revel experience. It was a shock to the system as to how drilled it all is but we are a uniformed service and for many of us coming into the Prison service we have never been uniformed checked or had to address the Tutors etc as Mr, Miss.
It does stand you in good stead though even if it was a bit of a shock, our POELT Training Section is always turned out well each day, we have uniform inspections done by whichever POELT is No1 for the day. It gets you into the habit of taking pride in wearing the uniform.
The main downside when we attended our 2 day welcome event was stupid people at silly o'clock in the morning (2am) running and giggling up and down the corridors!!
The Chicken Jalfrezi was not the best either, ok is was awful :)

JCOX4
Official Member
Official Member

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Clarky.. you are training with the Mr Myagi of everything prison related 😎
ARC 26/11/19
Conditional offer & vetting started 17/12/19
Referred for decision :slgy: 24/12/19
Failed vetting :slst: 30/12/19
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision :slgy: 17/01/20
Still waiting 25/01/20

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm

JCOX4 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:37 pm
Welcome to the forum Clarky.. you are training with the Mr Myagi of everything prison related 😎
Wouldn’t go that far but a bit of research to help myself and help others goes a long way, the prison service is very good at not passing on information :slsh:

Great believer in karma and hope when I need the help someone will have my back, plus I’ve endured the frustration of dealing with sscl on a pay issue and they can be hard work, any news on your letter yet?

Clarky is a good man, great during training and we’ve some most of our c&r training together so far!

Just to confirm as Clarky said...the curry...avoid!!

Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

JCOX4
Official Member
Official Member

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Haha... nope no sign of the letter. The postman yesterday just put a dominos leaflet through the letterbox. I almost ran out to search his push cart thing as I was convinced it was going to be with me yesterday :slRA2:
ARC 26/11/19
Conditional offer & vetting started 17/12/19
Referred for decision :slgy: 24/12/19
Failed vetting :slst: 30/12/19
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision :slgy: 17/01/20
Still waiting 25/01/20

Snowy206
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Snowy206 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 pm

Gutted........ love a good curry! Obviously not gonna get one of those! 😝

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:29 am

Anymore words of advice about Newbold Revel NOS ??

Looks like I will be travelling by train to Leicester then a taxi/bus from there to training.

Plenty of weight lifting equipment in the gym ?

RADDERSUK89
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by RADDERSUK89 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Is there much to do in the evening??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic