has anyone passed vetting with a past caution?

Only start a new topic in this forum if the subject directly concerns Vetting or Recruitment
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

has anyone passed vetting with a past caution?

Post by Au79  »

i applied last month for a job as a prison officer and after assessments i passed and was offered a conditional offer all rather quick, so i applied to acro for information held on me on the PNC as when i were a juvenile up to the age of twenty i were in bother with the law and were on probation in scotland all rather silly kids stuff which im ashamed about, well everything seems to have been deleted off the police computers which im confused about apart from a caution for ABH which were in 1997, after that date i turned my life around educated myself and got a decent job and stayed out of trouble and had a family which are now grown up and both at university, i'm absolutely devastated as i had genuinley forgot about the 1997 caution as i were drunk at the time and foolishly thought id just been told off. i got in touch with my ex probation worker(i was 18 when i last spoke to her) to ask her views and she seems to think ill be fine with vetting, i personally don't think ill now pass and felt like withdrawing my application through shame and embaressment, she said i should feel proud i turned my life around and i was one of her success cases\stories, she invested a lot of time and money into me, got me counselling for adverse childhood experiences and trauma and sent me to rehab for a year to sort myself out and has said people like me are inspirational, personally today i don't think that just filled with shame and embaressment of my early bad life choices, wondering if anyone on here has passed vetting with a caution for abh\ criminal record, personally don't think ill be passing my vetting process now, part of me wanted to withdraw my application and part of me wants to keep on and appeal when i get declined. I've not been in any bother for 24 years so im hoping they see i did change and rehabilitation did work and i can inspire and support others with the tools that i have learnt in the past 30 years.
Sali0365
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: has anyone passed vetting with a past caution?

Post by Sali0365 »

I wouldn’t worry

I passed with 1x Abh caution and 1x battery caution from 2010 and 2013.

Just provide details concerning it and you’ll be fine. I’m sure there’s people who have done a lot worse
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Au79  »

That’s made me feel a lot more positive about the situation, thanks buddy.
Scotpo

Post by Scotpo »

Hi Au79

Your probation officer is right. I believe lived experience of rehabilitation is an assest that will inspire others. I would just make sure you declair it in your vetting. Honesty and integrity in the now is what really matters. Well done on turning your life around for the better, you should be proud !
Chez32 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'
Group Leader: Hervoice
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

Definitely dont withdraw your application, you would be a credit to the prison service. The fact you have turned you whole life around you could bring such skills that other who haven’t been in your situation. Personally o think declare all go in to detail and explain how much you have changed your life around, good luck.. you can do this. 🤗🤗
Last edited by Chez32  on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Applied 8/01/21
Arc 5/02/21
Passed arc 08/02/21
Placed on merit 19/02/21
Offer 25/02/21
Vetting started 26/02/21
Referred Decision19/03/21
Back to pre employment checks 22/03/21
Fitness passed 25/03/21
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Au79  »

Hi guys thanks for the support I’ve gone from ecstatic to feeling deflated over this and your positive contribution has really helped me it’s been a rollercoaster of emotions, remembering the old me and everything that come with it, the emotional baggage that I thought I’d left behind, my probation worker said children deal differently to trauma and I’ve got through the other side, I just don’t like the idea of using my bad childhood as an excuse, I’ll always just take responsibility and put my hands up and say I made bad choices but I worked through them and learnt, I’ll be honest on my vetting forms & pray that I do get this chance to do good & hopefully support people to change as there’s always room for change and growth.
Thanks again for your support guys now I’m off to do my couch to 5k on the treadmill gee it’s hard work this getting fit lark, it’ll soon be my fitness and medical test day, I’m hoping to hear back tomorrow for my booking in date.
Chez32 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

Keep positive and like myself I had a not great childhood but I’ve used that to make sure I don’t make the same choices as to those that bought me up so to speak!
I left home at 16 and said no I’m noting doing this and I want to make a life for myself. You got this keep strong!
Applied 8/01/21
Arc 5/02/21
Passed arc 08/02/21
Placed on merit 19/02/21
Offer 25/02/21
Vetting started 26/02/21
Fitness passed 25/03/21
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Au79  »

Yes you’re right a positive mental attitude, I moved away from my home at the same age and moved to England age 18 and tried for a few years to break the cycle and kept at it, for years I thought I’d never amount to anything but started off just being kind to myself and honest and keeping clean from alcohol and drugs, and from there I progressed then I had my first child aged 22, I were far too young to be a mum but it made me more determined to break the cycle and be someone not to be ashamed of. I couldnt possibly of failed them. In a way I’m proud of everything I’ve overcome and managed to stay on the straight and narrow and give my children a good fun and happy life’s and sometimes I sit here and think wow how did I get here and other times I cringe with embarrassment & shame but it is what it is isn’t it.
Chez32 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

I totally agree and good on you we have a ladies group in her if you want to join that too? Xxx
Applied 8/01/21
Arc 5/02/21
Passed arc 08/02/21
Placed on merit 19/02/21
Offer 25/02/21
Vetting started 26/02/21
Fitness passed 25/03/21
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Au79  »

Yes that would be great thank you, I’m sure I read a post last night on the womens chat group, I’ll track it down and join.
Chez32 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

I’ve added you in to it hun.
I’m just getting it started as didn’t take to well when it was opened before so I’m re building it. X
Applied 8/01/21
Arc 5/02/21
Passed arc 08/02/21
Placed on merit 19/02/21
Offer 25/02/21
Vetting started 26/02/21
Fitness passed 25/03/21
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Au79  »

That’s great thank you, I’ve got an Mchat sign on the top left of the site is that the group?
Chez32 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

Follow these instructions

1.. head to the Index page

2. find the Womens Banter forum

3. click on the forum title (viz Women Banter) :slcoo:
Applied 8/01/21
Arc 5/02/21
Passed arc 08/02/21
Placed on merit 19/02/21
Offer 25/02/21
Vetting started 26/02/21
Fitness passed 25/03/21
Chez32 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

If you click on index and scroll down you should find it, let me know if you have any problems
Applied 8/01/21
Arc 5/02/21
Passed arc 08/02/21
Placed on merit 19/02/21
Offer 25/02/21
Vetting started 26/02/21
Fitness passed 25/03/21
Au79 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Au79  »

Hi yes I’ve found it the women’s banter group but it’s saying I don’t have the required permission to view or read in this forum