(Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Only start a new topic in this forum if the subject directly concerns Vetting or Recruitment
ddiyane

(Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by ddiyane » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Hello guys,

I have a question I hope you could answer - I’m really upset and gutted. My vetting came back unsatisfactory yesterday and I have no reason why.

I spoke to one of the lady from SSCL who was kind to comfort me over phone but since she couldn’t see the reason why I’ve failed and I’ve already sent a letter to approval and compliance team (I was so shocked I hand written a letter right there and then to send it off the person who read it will be probably surprised by my bad handwriting)

Anyway she said the main reason why people fail is: smallest minor things I’ve might not disclosed (I’ve went over the vetting form ten times to make sure I’ve disclosed everything, no ccj or court order or anything like that, even checked my driving license for any points or penalties not that I ever had one), criminal convictions (100% no, I’ve worked in prison as housing officer last year) and references not being submitted/unreachable.

I did got a email from vetting team for help because they couldn’t get through to my countersignatory/academic referee (my uni professor) and I’ve emailed her and she said she will send off the form and I’ve took her word for it and didn’t chase her up on that one as she said she’ll send it off the next day.

Has anyone appealed and has the decision upturned? I’m just panicking and crying all day because I’ve no idea what has happened as I’ve never had failed vetting before....

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 am

How did you get on with this? Have you got an update or outcome of your vetting appeal yet?

Fitz84

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Fitz84 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 am

I failed 2 years ago for no apparent reason. Hopefully the appeal will help you progress .good luck

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am

Fitz84 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 am
I failed 2 years ago for no apparent reason. Hopefully the appeal will help you progress .good luck
After you failed vetting did you appeal & if so what was the outcome?

Guest

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am

Fitz84 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 am
I failed 2 years ago for no apparent reason. Hopefully the appeal will help you progress .good luck
After you failed vetting did you appeal & if so what was the outcome?

ddiyane

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by ddiyane » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Rickson wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 am
How did you get on with this? Have you got an update or outcome of your vetting appeal yet?
Hello, I received a letter saying it was due to referencing not coming back. They’ve restarted my vetting, hopefully I’ll hear back from them soon.

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:46 pm

ddiyane wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:37 pm
Rickson wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 am
How did you get on with this? Have you got an update or outcome of your vetting appeal yet?
Hello, I received a letter saying it was due to referencing not coming back. They’ve restarted my vetting, hopefully I’ll hear back from them soon.
That’s great news, keep us posted on how it’s going please 😎

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 pm

So today I get the news I’ve been dreading, that my pre employment checks have come back unsatisfactory & that they will not be progressing my application. Gutted is an understatement, it must be because I was dismissed from my previous job. Defo can’t be because of references not coming back because I’ve only been in vetting for 4 weeks.
Requesting the reason why I failed from sscl & will appeal my decision. Fingers crossed & hope for the best.

ddiyane

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by ddiyane » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Rickson wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 pm
So today I get the news I’ve been dreading, that my pre employment checks have come back unsatisfactory & that they will not be progressing my application. Gutted is an understatement, it must be because I was dismissed from my previous job. Defo can’t be because of references not coming back because I’ve only been in vetting for 4 weeks.
Requesting the reason why I failed from sscl & will appeal my decision. Fingers crossed & hope for the best.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember when filling out a vetting form to declare if you've ever been dismissed from your role/job. Did you say yes to that and explain? If you say no, that might be why..sorry to hear about that, it's really hard when you wait for so long only to say 'sorry, you didn't pass. Thanks for your interest.' It leaves you just feeling empty....I've sent out an appeal letter on Friday 31st May and got back the letter about on 6th June on the reason and that they've restarted my vetting. The woman on the phone said with the exception of criminal record, you are given two options on the matter so you could, once you get the letter explaining the reason and what you can or can't do, you can go on from then. Really sorry to hear that, Rickson...

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:03 pm

ddiyane wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:38 pm
Rickson wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:51 pm
So today I get the news I’ve been dreading, that my pre employment checks have come back unsatisfactory & that they will not be progressing my application. Gutted is an understatement, it must be because I was dismissed from my previous job. Defo can’t be because of references not coming back because I’ve only been in vetting for 4 weeks.
Requesting the reason why I failed from sscl & will appeal my decision. Fingers crossed & hope for the best.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember when filling out a vetting form to declare if you've ever been dismissed from your role/job. Did you say yes to that and explain? If you say no, that might be why..sorry to hear about that, it's really hard when you wait for so long only to say 'sorry, you didn't pass. Thanks for your interest.' It leaves you just feeling empty....I've sent out an appeal letter on Friday 31st May and got back the letter about on 6th June on the reason and that they've restarted my vetting. The woman on the phone said with the exception of criminal record, you are given two options on the matter so you could, once you get the letter explaining the reason and what you can or can't do, you can go on from then. Really sorry to hear that, Rickson...
Thanks for reply ddiyane. I did put it on the vetting form that I was dismissed & I gave them an explanation of what happened. I think maybe they’ve failed me because it’s falling asleep on a night shift & prison will involve working night shifts? I don’t know, I’m defo going to appeal the decision. I was advised by someone already in service that if I fail vetting there is also the option of writing to the establishment no 1 governor to explain the situation & see if they’re willing to overturn the A & C teams decision. It’s worth a try I think.

ddiyan

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by ddiyan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Since you declared them - and honestly it’s such a human mistake and I’ve heard stories of people with conviction passing their vetting. As for reference not coming back, if it weren’t coming back they’d send you assistance request email for reference not coming back and asking you to contact them on their behalf. It might be little things you could have forgotten to declare? Any bankruptcy ccj, driving record penalty points, speeding ticket etc., 4 weeks in they’d be going through your employment/address history so if there’s anything else you think might have slipped your mind it’s worth looking back. I’ve also heard someone failing because they failed to declare a past interaction with the police I.e warning, caution etc and this doesn’t matter if you were minor or as adult. Hopefully you get an answer by next week!

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 pm

ddiyan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 pm
Since you declared them - and honestly it’s such a human mistake and I’ve heard stories of people with conviction passing their vetting. As for reference not coming back, if it weren’t coming back they’d send you assistance request email for reference not coming back and asking you to contact them on their behalf. It might be little things you could have forgotten to declare? Any bankruptcy ccj, driving record penalty points, speeding ticket etc., 4 weeks in they’d be going through your employment/address history so if there’s anything else you think might have slipped your mind it’s worth looking back. I’ve also heard someone failing because they failed to declare a past interaction with the police I.e warning, caution etc and this doesn’t matter if you were minor or as adult. Hopefully you get an answer by next week!
They did send me an email a couple of weeks ago asking for the details of the jobcenter plus I was registered at because they couldn’t mind my details on hmrc during the period of me being unemployed since my dismissal. I gave them the details & a week later I find out that I’m unsuccessful. I did ring the jobcenter plus a coupe of days ago & was told that they had no record of sscl or hmpps contacting them & said that even if they did contact them they wouldn’t disclose that info to them. They sent me the info & said to pass it on to them.
So hopefully if it is because of that I’ve got the paperwork ready for them.

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best, that it is something small that can be rectified. Even if a & c team won’t change their decision after my appeal I’ll still write a letter to the governor. I’ve got nothing to lose, worst that could happen is a ‘No’ really. Worst case scenario I’ll see where I’m at in a years time & if I’m still interested I’ll apply again.
Thanks for replying, consoling & chatting ddiyane x

ddiyane

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by ddiyane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Hey Rickson, I think that might be it! The fact they contacted you for job centre info and week later you fail - that’s the same pattern as mine. They contacted me for another contact detail for my referee which I gave it to them straight away and exactly a week later they sent me an email saying I was unsuccessful! Don’t worry too much - the woman from sscl said so many people fail for petty reasons as long as it’s not criminal conviction it will be fine :)

Rickson

Re: (Please help) Failed vetting - appeal process

Post by Rickson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi really hope that’s the case ddiyane. I spoke to sscl on Tuesday & they said that a letter explaining the reasons is in the post. It’s Thursday now & still haven’t received the letter, hopefully it will arrive tomo & I’ll be able to reply & get it sorted 😎

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic