Any good stories?

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

chrisgtfc
Rookie Member

Any good stories?

Post by chrisgtfc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:44 am

There seems to be a lot of posts showing the negative sides of being a Prison Officer so in contrast I'd like to hear some positives please. It can't all be doom and gloom, can it........? :slwh:

Just asking
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Any good stories?

Post by Just asking » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi good point.
One of the most positive things about being a prison officer is having the opportunity to support and mentor prisoners and be a role model. Helping prisoners to educate themselves and learn new skills is a really beneficial form of rehabilitation. The process starts while they are in prison to prepare them for release into the community to use the skills they have learned while in prison to get jobs and start to rebuild their lives.
I read somewhere that companies like Wickes take an active part in this for possible future employment.For me this is one of the reasons I want to become a prison officer.
How about you? What are some of the positives you see?

chrisgtfc
Rookie Member

Post by chrisgtfc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi just asking. I feel the same tbh. I feel like I want to help people. Help people with their issues and hopefully to have prospects and a chance when they get out of Prison and not be another 'statistic'.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:56 am

Oh, don't worry. You'll all be as disillusioned and cynical as we are after a few years in the job! :slwoot:

I was once like you; all starry eyed about doing good but that changed after a while :slin: .

Just remember that you can lead a horse to water... :slda: :slwh:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

chrisgtfc
Rookie Member

Post by chrisgtfc » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 pm

I think that's a shame to be honest. When did you leave?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:00 pm

She didn't leave, she's still soldiering on :slhe:

OK let's draw a line under this now

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - line

Good stories only from here, anything else will just get deleted :sltgn:

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Oh Falkor, don't spoil all my fun! :slin: :slwoot: :slraz:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:16 pm

You're over the line purple :x-)

Come on! :slby: You owe us a GOOD STORY, there must be 1

chrisgtfc
Rookie Member

Post by chrisgtfc » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Ah sorry I just figured you'd left.

My Mum was a Prison Officer for a few years til she got injured. She said she loved it. I asked for her honest opinion about whether I should go for it and she said definitely.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Nothing that I can think of offhand that won't identify me, Sorry Falk! :sloo:

Basic
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Basic » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:48 pm

I've got a story with a happy ending...

As a junior screw a prisoner wrote to me shortly after his release (I got hammered for that, but what can you do?) he said that if I hadn't of spent time with him during his sentence then he felt that it would have been the end of him. He thanked me for keeping him positive and helping him see his true worth as an employable human being. He started going to the gym and became a bodybuilder, he found himself a nice girl and got a job driving, delivering builders materials too. It doesnt seem like much. But it's those little things that make it all so worthwhile at times. I would have written back but the rules forbade it of course. He must have done alright though, because I've never heard from him or seen Raoul back inside since that day.

Cammy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Cammy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Was his last name Moat (sorry couldn't resist)

finglas

Post by finglas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 am

I remember on Christmas day on duty phone calls from discharged prisoners wishing the wing staff all the best and thanking them for all their help while in prison. This was quite common.

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by anewstart » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:28 am

Just asking wrote:Hi good point.
One of the most positive things about being a prison officer is having the opportunity to support and mentor prisoners and be a role model. Helping prisoners to educate themselves and learn new skills is a really beneficial form of rehabilitation. The process starts while they are in prison to prepare them for release into the community to use the skills they have learned while in prison to get jobs and start to rebuild their lives.
I read somewhere that companies like Wickes take an active part in this for possible future employment.For me this is one of the reasons I want to become a prison officer.
How about you? What are some of the positives you see?
That's the theory, pretty different from the reality in my experience so far I'm afraid. Mainly a turnkey.

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by anewstart » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:28 am

purplepig20 wrote:Oh, don't worry. You'll all be as disillusioned and cynical as we are after a few years in the job! :slwoot:

I was once like you; all starry eyed about doing good but that changed after a while :slin: .

Just remember that you can lead a horse to water... :slda: :slwh:

Few years? Only took me a few months!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic