high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

HBP
Registered Member
Registered Member

the end of "progression pay"

Post by HBP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Spending Review: Public sector staff to lose automatic pay rise

Millions of civil servants will lose their automatic annual pay increase as part of an £11.5bn cuts package being unveiled by Chancellor George Osborne

working to remove automatic pay rises simply for time served in our schools, NHS, prisons and police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23053693

tommyturnkey
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Archer'

Re: the end of "progression pay"

Post by tommyturnkey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31 pm

I've seen this & have been trying to work out when it will come in as it say BY 2015-2016. I bet it takes affect on the 1st April next year so I don't get my final increment!!! But what will replace Pay Progression??? Will I just need to get a achieved on my SPDR to move to the next pay level?? :slst:
If anything I have said has offended anyone, I look on it as a bonus!

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Havn't had an above inflation pay rise for 15 (ish) years or an increment for 10years,
however this is another kick in the teeth for those who joined the job with the promise of them.

Government scum (what's the betting MP's still get either a pay rise or 'expenses' increased.....??)

5jails
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by 5jails » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Another ill thought out, crackpot scheme from the Eton mafia.....i worry for staff on the progression ladder who have anticipated these rises and taken on financial commitment with increments in mind....its criminal and if its not it bloody should be. Oversees aid ringfenced, robbing the public sector fair game....!!

emptycarbonweight
Official Member
Official Member

Post by emptycarbonweight » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Who in all honesty is going to join this job to remain on £17k a year ?

We couldn't recruit locally under the old system so........

I despair!

The real problem is a further 10% cut.....totally unachieveable!

I listened to my wife on the last VEDS offer and did not apply, she's already been told that I won't make the same mistake again.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:48 pm

This could be a good idea for new officers! Start on 17k then after 1 years probation go straight onto the top increment -- yeh as if

What sort of pay do private sector custody officers get and do they have increments?

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 pm

old sweat wrote:This could be a good idea for new officers! Start on 17k then after 1 years probation go straight onto the top increment -- yeh as if

What sort of pay do private sector custody officers get and do they have increments?
thats not such a crazy idea when you consider that there are only 4 or 5 pay points (including starting point) under F&S and the actual different between start and finish point is less then £5000 i think. the whole point of stopping pay progression is to save money so i suspect you will see people who finish probation to jump a pay point or two and end up one or two from the top and then they will be given unachievable goals on there SPDR to reach that unreachable "top whack". that post probation pay rise of a few grand will tide them over and make them quite happy for a couple of years, then when they realize that its never going to get any better they will quit for tesco or something which is what they want

I know private start on alot higher but i never see them advertise pay progression when they look for new staff

Wyer
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Wyer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:37 pm

ZzoL wrote:
old sweat wrote:This could be a good idea for new officers! Start on 17k then after 1 years probation go straight onto the top increment -- yeh as if

thats not such a crazy idea when you consider that there are only 4 or 5 pay points (including starting point) under F&S and the actual different between start and finish point is less then £5000 i think. the whole point of stopping pay progression is to save money so i suspect you will see people who finish probation to jump a pay point or two and end up one or two from the top and then they will be given unachievable goals on there SPDR to reach that unreachable "top whack". that post probation pay rise of a few grand will tide them over and make them quite happy for a couple of years, then when they realize that its never going to get any better they will quit for tesco or something which is what they want

I know private start on alot higher but i never see them advertise pay progression when they look for new staff
Think you've missed the bigger picture.

2015 is the year Benchmarking goes 'live'.
2015 removes pay progression points.
2015 end F&S and the pay scale its on for new staff entering the service.

So in 2015 new staff entering the service will enter on around £16,000 with NO progression pay scale meaning that new staff will enter the job and stay on £16,000.
The only pay increases will be the yearly 1's if the government issue them.

headsup
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by headsup » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm

It is amazing that Gideon would announce this radical plan and not elaborate on what the new salary will actually be. Even an old cynic like me cannot believe that they would try to employ people on 16 grand a year.

Ethnic
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ethnic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Oh they would. Just look at how our pay and T&C's have been eroded over the years - particularly the last few.

This is the only way that (on paper at least) we can "compete" with the private sector.

All down the years when we have had to vote on something we have voted to look after ourselves with no look out for those joining in the future and this is no different. There is nothing else attractive out there pay wise if you are unskilled or unqualified, maybe even if you are ???

They are determined to drive our pay down to or even less than the private sector with a view to privatising the whole estate with the exception of the hse possibly.

MCMLXXI
Official Member
Official Member

Post by MCMLXXI » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

At last the penny has finally dropped, I've been saying it for years and no one on this site believed me. The Conservative manifesto is clear, they intend on privatising the whole service apart from the HIGH SECURITY ESTATE...

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 pm

old sweat wrote: What sort of pay do private sector custody officers get and do they have increments?
no increments but we got 1.5% pay rise this year

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 am

Belfast 87 wrote:
old sweat wrote: What sort of pay do private sector custody officers get and do they have increments?
no increments but we got 1.5% pay rise this year
Interesting. How does your pay compare to the public sector ? does your company have a on probation pay and after probation pay?

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic