3,000 prisoners allowed to watch subscription Sky TV

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

should prisoners on good behaviour by allowed SKY TV?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

3,000 prisoners allowed to watch subscription Sky TV

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:13 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ky-TV.html By Christopher Hope, Senior Political Correspondent 10:00PM BST 28 Sep 2012
Ministers admitted that nearly 3,000 prisoners in privately-run prisons “were eligible to access subscription channels provided by British Sky Broadcasting”.

Criminals are offered the perk for good behaviour but critics condemned the disclosure as “astounding.”

The figures were condemned by MPs and prison officers, who said it was outrageous that taxpayers could be picking up the bill for the subscription television.

The news has emerged days after new Justice secretary Chris Grayling pledged to stop jails being like holiday camps for inmates, including a review of access to satellite television.

Mr Grayling warned last week: "Prison is not meant to be a place that people enjoy being in. I don’t [want to] see prisoners in this country sitting in cells watching the Sunday afternoon match on Sky Sports."

poaftw
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: 3,000 prisoners allowed to watch subscription Sky TV

Post by poaftw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:30 am

Quite frankly, who cares?

There are far more things that need sorting out than this at the moment. Using stories like this will keep the attention away from the genuine issues.

The whole issue of incarceration, punishment and due process need a total overhaul and some of the people that deal with it either by doing or manageing need looking at as well.

Don't fall for distraction soundbites as this is what these are designed for.
“Some men faint-hearted ever seek,our programme to retouch,and will insist where’ere they speak,that we demand too much,tis passing strange, yet I declare,such statements give me mirth,for our demands most moderate are
We only want the Earth.”

bob

Post by bob » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 am

There are far more things that need sorting out than this at the moment. Using stories like this will keep the attention away from the genuine issues.

yeh like a bl**dy pay rise

Wyer
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Wyer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 am

I'll add my pennies worth.

They are in prison for a blody reason, giving them something like sky tv.....yeah thats going to make them want to not come back isn't it?
Some of them can't even afford it on the out! I have just had to remove the films and sports from my sky as I can no longer afford it.
So why on earth they get it?

The prison service is fast becoming more and more of a joke.

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm

they get Sky in our nick, :slex: but its not the full package

Sky 1
a movie channel
a sports channel
plus one more cant remember which one

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Belfast 87 wrote:they get Sky in our nick, :slex: but its not the full package

Sky 1
a movie channel
a sports channel
plus one more cant remember which one

:slvo: :slvo:

Personally, I find that very wrong. Sky is very much a luxury item that even a lot of us on the outside can't afford, so I really feel strongly that prisoners should not get it. To be quite honest, there is no incentive to live an honest life on the outside these days as prison is getting far too luxurious by the looks of it.... :slno:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:36 pm

They have it in my prison, but they have two channels (both sports) and they can only watch it in the dayroom, they have no access to it in their cells. Dont think anybody watches it really anyway.

gh1978
Official Member
Official Member

Post by gh1978 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm guessing that it's not actually (directly anyway) public money that's paying for this access. Where I work anything like that is paid for by the prisoners 'amenities' fund, which is contributed to from pin phone and shop revenue. The prison itself doesn't put any of it's own money into the amenities fund, and it's managed as a separate entity from a bank account perspective.

stitchedup2

Post by stitchedup2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 pm

gh1978 wrote:I'm guessing that it's not actually (directly anyway) public money that's paying for this access. Where I work anything like that is paid for by the prisoners 'amenities' fund, which is contributed to from pin phone and shop revenue. The prison itself doesn't put any of it's own money into the amenities fund, and it's managed as a separate entity from a bank account perspective.
I'll bet you a penny to a pinch of sh*t it's public money, directly or not! Where do you think the money comes from that the cons spend on canteen & pin phones? Who do you think funds the private sector jails?

Obviously it's more important to spend PUBLIC money on this than on staff salaries & staff numbers.

If you think there's no public money involved, you're in the same la la land as private prison "Directors" & this bloody excuse for a Government.

Private Sector
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Berserker'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Private Sector » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:15 pm

They should'nt get it end of story!

Saffa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Saffa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 am

From reading stories, reports, comments and posts, it seems like prisoners get away with a lot.

What's happened to punishment? Provided it doesn't affect their human rights, why not punish the trouble makers to the full extent?
Is solitary confinement still a thing?

I think a lot of privileges are given so the prisoners have something to be taken away for bad behaviour.

Surely, making an example of some of the worst behaved prisoners would make some changes in the running of the prison?

It almost seems futuristic to think that prisoners run the show.

Rocky1967
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by Rocky1967 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am

like I said in my previous post , lets take them out to the movies every Friday night and make sure we get them popcorn :slbg:

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by laticsash92 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:57 am

What ever happened to water boarding.

Now they get sky 😅
We pay for it in tax in guessing. Least they could do if they want to give them tv is just give them koDi. Least that's free... . 🙄( joking)

hmmmreally
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Paladin'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by hmmmreally » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:13 pm

We aren't there to punish them there punishment is being there.

Saffa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Saffa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 am

hmmmreally wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:13 pm
We aren't there to punish them there punishment is being there.
You're absolutely right. However, something like Sky is a privilege that many cannot afford. Why should someone who wouldn't contribute to the costs of a Sky subscription be allowed one?

If a prisoner is allowed to and brings in things from home, eg Playstation, TV, books etc, then fine, but again, this is a privilege that should be taken away for bad behaviour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic