Self Rostering

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

johnnymac
Executive Member
Executive Member

Self Rostering

Post by johnnymac » Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 am

Are there establishments still working to self rostering under the new detailing and InVision systems, or are we all working to shift patterns?

At my place the Governor stopped s/r as he claimed it wasn't compatible with the new systems. Is he right?
Out Of Darkness Cometh Light

popeye
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Self Rostering

Post by popeye » Mon May 09, 2011 7:03 am

Not too sure about removing self rostering, but know of several staff who work "work life balance" at my nick. Personally i think it should be renamed "Selfish rostering" some staff take the piss and weak management allow it.
"Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off" Colin Powell.

wentworth
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Warrior Mage'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by wentworth » Mon May 09, 2011 7:39 am

work life balance what a joke,we all have commitments outside of work but manage to work a shift pattern,some of those on w.l.b are soon able to do pp and bedwatches when available when it suits.

spike
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by spike » Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 am

wentworth wrote:work life balance what a joke,we all have commitments outside of work but manage to work a shift pattern,some of those on w.l.b are soon able to do pp and bedwatches when available when it suits.
I am on wlb never done a bedwatch or do PP,I agree with you that staff do abuse it and through poor management they let them get away with it instead of taking them off it,

wentworth
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Warrior Mage'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by wentworth » Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 am

Spike you are spot on it is managment who are to blame for most of the problems for todays modern prison service all they seem to do is look out for themselves and their next promotion at all costs.

stitchedup

Post by stitchedup » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 am

johnnymac wrote:Are there establishments still working to self rostering under the new detailing and InVision systems, or are we all working to shift patterns?

At my place the Governor stopped s/r as he claimed it wasn't compatible with the new systems. Is he right?
My establishment works self rostering using my detail, although the No 1 wanted to ditch my detail rather than s/r. Like others on s/r, we used to use pen & paper, with a phone call or an e mail to change shifts on the odd occasion when required. Main problem is that my detail must coincide with the estblishment's profile, if it doesn't there are endless problems. I much prefer a s/r system than shifts, although some staff have become so frustrated with it they've asked to go back to shifts.

Don't know if its true, or just an urban myth that the service bought it from Ikea? Or if Michael Spurr wanted it to keep tabs on staff? Or that it cost £30,000,000 to introduce? In any case, yet another public sector IT failure (a simple fix on the system can cost many thousands). Whatever the cost, then Mr Spurr could certainly have spent that money more sensibly, (which he might have done, had it come from his own pocket) as before my detail, the cost of running s/r was almost zero.
Compounded with the fact that it means staff spending even more time on a computer (as if we don't do enough of that!) rather than being on the landings.

Further, on costs & computers, there is £160,000,000 that was spent but still unacounted for on the set up costs of c-nomis.

Devon Officer.

Post by Devon Officer. » Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 am

we do self rostering at our place under the In Vision,

The unwritten rules of it are.

2 Mains 2 A's a week with a min of one early start late finish once a fortnight.

Most of our shifts look like this.

Sun M
Mon A
Tue R
Wed A
Thurs M[/b
]Fri R
Sat R

Sun R
Mon R
Tue M
Wed A
Thurs R
Fri A
Sat M

This way on your weekend off you get 4 days off however the flip side is you have to do a 4 weekend on.

It generally works ok However you do need to put in an extra shift now and again to bring your toil into line.

However there are people who take the mick and take their 4 day weekend off however will only do a 3 day weekend on!!
As long as it is managed well then it will work

spike
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by spike » Mon May 09, 2011 3:49 pm

stitchedup wrote:
johnnymac wrote:Are there establishments still working to self rostering under the new detailing and InVision systems, or are we all working to shift patterns?

My establishment works self rostering using my detail, although the No 1 wanted to ditch my detail rather than s/r. Like others on s/r, we used to use pen & paper, with a phone call or an e mail to change shifts on the odd occasion when required. Main problem is that my detail must coincide with the estblishment's profile, if it doesn't there are endless problems. I much prefer a s/r system than shifts, although some staff have become so frustrated with it they've asked to go back to shifts.

Don't know if its true, or just an urban myth that the service bought it from Ikea? Or if Michael Spurr wanted it to keep tabs on staff? Or that it cost £30,000,000 to introduce? In any case, yet another public sector IT failure (a simple fix on the system can cost many thousands). Whatever the cost, then Mr Spurr could certainly have spent that money more sensibly, (which he might have done, had it come from his own pocket) as before my detail, the cost of running s/r was almost zero.
Compounded with the fact that it means staff spending even more time on a computer (as if we don't do enough of that!) rather than being on the landings.

Further, on costs & computers, there is £160,000,000 that was spent but still unacounted for on the set up costs of c-nomis.
my info is that invision was bought from ikea

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Mon May 09, 2011 4:04 pm

spike wrote:

Over priced, in a dirty brown box, looks cheap once assembled with bits missing then?

sou'wester
Rookie Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by sou'wester » Mon May 09, 2011 4:13 pm

we do self rostering, you only ever work a 4 day week and always have a 4 day weekend off if you want it!!!, only downfall is poor/weak management and too many on work life balance who take take preference over us mere mortals.

panda
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by panda » Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm

We use invision self detailing. The shift pattern & fixed rest day lot take priority. It works really well at our place with the only downfall being that the shift pattern lot know months in advance what they are doing to apply for the pp.
happiness is door shaped.... Giggity

BIGBOBP
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BIGBOBP » Wed May 11, 2011 7:26 pm

spike wrote:
stitchedup wrote:

No I have it on good authority that it was purchased from the MFI Administrator when it went "bust"

:slcl:

Madra Rhu
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Madra Rhu » Sun May 15, 2011 11:51 pm

InVision in Hansard

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 0168000045

Now you know why it has been inflicted on you. And at what cost.

On establishment saves over 3000 hours per annum on TOIL reduction.....ave budget received from Treasury per hour per officer = £21:00 x 3000 = £63,000:00p per annum saved. If this is mirror'd over the 111 establishments that are using InVision and MyDetail then that = £6,993,000:00 per annum!!

As of Feb this year
Always remember; the law and justice; never the twain shall meet. They are seperate and have nothing in common with each other. Bit like being married!!

Regards

Madra Rhu

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic