Religion

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

User avatar
panda
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Religion

Post by panda » Fri May 06, 2011 6:05 pm

This came up today at work when a member of the staff asked the SO to change his detail due to being detailed on a religious prayer group. We have to cover it once a week for an hour. Hes got a military back ground and is therefore very sensitive towards a certain religion which is in the media a lot at the moment. The SO didn't make an issue of it and just asked if anyone else minded doing it. But what is the official rules... as I follow a certain faith, can I be forced to supervise a prayers group of another religion? The group is held in the multi faith room and you are required to sit in the room during the session. Personally I have no problems working with people of another religion but I would not want to have to sit through one of their prayer groups.
happiness is door shaped.... Giggity

User avatar
kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 pm
Location: My own sweet reality

Re: Religion

Post by kristorf » Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 pm

This fella might have had a very genuine reason for not going into this room that more than likely has nothing to do with
his religion.

If as you say he is ex-military and came into the Prison Service in the last 10ish years he may have had some less than nice dealings with our
Friday religion and may be suffering as a result.

PTSD can manifest itself in many guises and triggers might be anything, if he recognises a trigger its better to prevent it
kicking in so I am glad to see common sense prevailed.

Zafar
Banned Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:30 pm
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Religion

Post by Zafar » Fri May 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Panda
do not be afraid of the truth.

Thiis man may hav G.D guilt disorder.observe him well

User avatar
Madra Rhu
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'
Location: In the ethernet shadowlands

Re: Religion

Post by Madra Rhu » Fri May 06, 2011 10:28 pm

New one to me Zafar.

GD guilt disorder? Can you explain more about this psychiatric condition?
Always remember; the law and justice; never the twain shall meet. They are seperate and have nothing in common with each other. Bit like being married!!

Regards

Madra Rhu

User avatar
Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 pm
Sacred: 'Ranger'
Location: Birmingham

Re: Religion

Post by Easylife » Sat May 07, 2011 2:24 am

Zafar wrote:Panda
do not be afraid of the truth.

Thiis man may hav G.D guilt disorder.observe him well
English has improved .well done Reggie flowerman Zafar.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

User avatar
panda
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Religion

Post by panda » Sat May 07, 2011 5:54 pm

kristorf wrote:This fella might have had a very genuine reason for not going into this room that more than likely has nothing to do with
his religion.

If as you say he is ex-military and came into the Prison Service in the last 10ish years he may have had some less than nice dealings with our
Friday religion and may be suffering as a result.

PTSD can manifest itself in many guises and triggers might be anything, if he recognises a trigger its better to prevent it
kicking in so I am glad to see common sense prevailed.
Hes been on the Prison service 15 years plus and I dont think its due to flash backs he has the issues. Its more to do with his personal views on other races and religions. Anyways... back to the question... due to being part of another religion can we refuse to supervise these prayer sessions?
happiness is door shaped.... Giggity

User avatar
Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm
Location: Middle earth.

Re: Religion

Post by Ping » Sat May 07, 2011 6:05 pm

panda wrote:Anyways... back to the question... due to being part of another religion can we refuse to supervise these prayer sessions?
An officer would be there to supervise and oversee that there is no breach of security or agro whilst the service is conducted. They're not there to take part in the service. Their own personal views and feelings are totally irrelevant. No member of uniformed staff can refuse this task. Suffering PTSD would have an impact on their capabilities and fitness for duty.
Keep calm and carry on.

User avatar
kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 pm
Location: My own sweet reality

Re: Religion

Post by kristorf » Sat May 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Interesting question, at what point will the service over-ride an individuals right to practice his/her religious beliefs?.

I suppose they could say that you are employed to do as you are instructed/detailed so just do it,
common sense might have been applied to prevent trouble I don't know the back ground so can't go further),
however, this action could now open a can of worms with staff saying 'I can't do that because of....'

As for PTSD, I have a very good mate who suffer PTSD from Gulf 1 and I must admit our management (for once) are absolutally brilliant with him

User avatar
panda
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Religion

Post by panda » Sat May 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Ok let's put this in the frame... What if a Muslim member of staff puts in a complaint that he or she is being forced to sit through a catholic chapel service which contradicts their beliefs & therefore they feel discriminated against..... Can you really see the prison service saying "tough luck, get on with it!"
Also from another point, a female member of staff at my establishment had to be removed from her detailed task of supervising the prayers group because the prisoners were not happy having a female present!
happiness is door shaped.... Giggity

User avatar
Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm
Location: Middle earth.

Re: Religion

Post by Ping » Sat May 07, 2011 10:43 pm

panda wrote:Ok let's put this in the frame... What if a Muslim member of staff puts in a complaint that he or she is being forced to sit through a catholic chapel service which contradicts their beliefs & therefore they feel discriminated against..... Can you really see the prison service saying "tough luck, get on with it!"
My view is that they're there to do a job. Not sit and listen to the service. They shouldn't get to pick and choose. The discrimination would be someone else having to do their job for them. I'm an atheist. Would I be exempt from all of them? No!
Also from another point, a female member of staff at my establishment had to be removed from her detailed task of supervising the prayers group because the prisoners were not happy having a female present!
Well, that's too bad really. The females would have every cause to complain, regarding sexual discrimination, if the gaffers bent over for that one.

Maybe it's just staff being too picky and bone in the first instance. The second one is just the usual prisoners pushing the boundaries. Did anybody ask the Imam his views out of interest?
Keep calm and carry on.

User avatar
Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 pm
Sacred: 'Ranger'
Location: Birmingham

Re: Religion

Post by Easylife » Sat May 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Ping wrote:
panda wrote:Ok let's put this in the frame... What if a Muslim member of staff puts in a complaint that he or she is being forced to sit through a catholic chapel service which contradicts their beliefs & therefore they feel discriminated against..... Can you really see the prison service saying "tough luck, get on with it!"
My view is that they're there to do a job. Not sit and listen to the service. They shouldn't get to pick and choose. The discrimination would be someone else having to do their job for them. I'm an atheist. Would I be exempt from all of them? No!
Also from another point, a female member of staff at my establishment had to be removed from her detailed task of supervising the prayers group because the prisoners were not happy having a female present!
Well, that's too bad really. The females would have every cause to complain, regarding sexual discrimination, if the gaffers bent over for that one.

Maybe it's just staff being too picky and bone in the first instance. The second one is just the usual prisoners pushing the boundaries. Did anybody ask the Imam his views out of interest?
I agree with this .What you feel personally about people in general stays at the gate.Nobody should force you to like what you don't but don't bring your politics into work.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Binky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Religion

Post by Binky » Sat May 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Personally I'd take all religious teachings out of prison, we don't have time to scratch our arses let alone supervise the drug dealing in a hall while somebody talks mumbo jumbo to a bunch of people that have committed every deadly sin imaginable.....i understand this may not be the views of the modern prison service :)

User avatar
Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 pm
Sacred: 'Ranger'
Location: Birmingham

Re: Religion

Post by Easylife » Sat May 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Binky wrote:Personally I'd take all religious teachings out of prison, we don't have time to scratch our arses let alone supervise the drug dealing in a hall while somebody talks mumbo jumbo to a bunch of people that have committed every deadly sin imaginable.....i understand this may not be the views of the modern prison service :)
Personally I'd shoot em all but that's not the point is it ?
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Binky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Religion

Post by Binky » Sat May 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Easylife wrote:
Binky wrote:Personally I'd take all religious teachings out of prison, we don't have time to scratch our arses let alone supervise the drug dealing in a hall while somebody talks mumbo jumbo to a bunch of people that have committed every deadly sin imaginable.....i understand this may not be the views of the modern prison service :)
Personally I'd shoot em all but that's not the point is it ?
Nah not all of them, we'll still need cleaners....and the sick ones for bedwatches

User avatar
Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 pm
Sacred: 'Ranger'
Location: Birmingham

Re: Religion

Post by Easylife » Sat May 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Binky wrote:
Easylife wrote:
Binky wrote:Personally I'd take all religious teachings out of prison, we don't have time to scratch our arses let alone supervise the drug dealing in a hall while somebody talks mumbo jumbo to a bunch of people that have committed every deadly sin imaginable.....i understand this may not be the views of the modern prison service :)
Personally I'd shoot em all but that's not the point is it ?
Nah not all of them, we'll still need cleaners....and the sick ones for bedwatches
:slbg: Well ...what can I say ? :slbg:
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic