start times at the gate ....is it still happening ????

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

demoralised
Executive Member
Executive Member

start times at the gate ....is it still happening ????

Post by demoralised » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:02 pm

heard from a friend and stated as official through email from reps that one prison has dropped working to rule already .any other prisons back in or this just a one off . i suggested he needs to bring this up to poa reps for reasons.comments please!

mickeymouse
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: start times at the gate ....is it still happening ????

Post by mickeymouse » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 pm

It certainly is at our place, although governors are trying every trick in the book to break it :slno:
All for one And one for all

baaabaaa

Post by baaabaaa » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:49 pm

demoralised wrote:heard from a friend and stated as official through email from reps that one prison has dropped working to rule already .any other prisons back in or this just a one off . i suggested he needs to bring this up to poa reps for reasons.comments please!
About 1/2 dozen were outside our place on the first day (out of 130+ for the M shift) and I think they've stopped now.

Problem is that most here don't give two hoots about the person stood next to them nevermind the staff at Birmingham. There is and will be nothing that we can do to reverse what is happening, time to face the facts that any government in power does not want us and joe public doesn't give a stuff about us or our jobs.

Time to join that rabble, go with the flow or whatever and award myself a @£13.00 payrise per month methinks.

Can't wait to see the looks on our lots faces though when the profiteers decide it's their turn to be wearing grey slacks :slbg: :slbg: :slbg: that will be the best laugh I've had in a longtime :slbg: :slbg: :slbg:

Anadin
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Warrior Mage'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by Anadin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:06 pm

baaabaaa wrote:
demoralised wrote:heard from a friend and stated as official through email from reps that one prison has dropped working to rule already .any other prisons back in or this just a one off . i suggested he needs to bring this up to poa reps for reasons.comments please!
About 1/2 dozen were outside our place on the first day (out of 130+ for the M shift) and I think they've stopped now.

Problem is that most here don't give two hoots about the person stood next to them nevermind the staff at Birmingham. There is and will be nothing that we can do to reverse what is happening, time to face the facts that any government in power does not want us and joe public doesn't give a stuff about us or our jobs.

Time to join that rabble, go with the flow or whatever and award myself a @£13.00 payrise per month methinks.

Can't wait to see the looks on our lots faces though when the profiteers decide it's their turn to be wearing grey slacks :slbg: :slbg: :slbg: that will be the best laugh I've had in a longtime :slbg: :slbg: :slbg:
What happened to the staff at Lancaster Castle and the other places?

spike
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by spike » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:44 pm

baaabaaa wrote:

so much for your branch committe then unity in strength for the staff at birmingham my A**e

sou'wester
Rookie Member

Post by sou'wester » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:54 pm

for many a year i've arrived at the gate dead on time, never early but also never late. 2 weeks ago i got pulled by my S.O, (who'a bit of a sprog) and was told, as i was late for the morning briefing one of these new DPSM Governors, (an old Prison Officer who should know better) wants to poor performance anyone who is late.

i just laughed and said i'd like to see him try!!!!!!!!!!!!! why not start the briefing at 08.10, giving people ample time to draw keys and a radio, collect baton and bimble to the wing.

baaabaaa

Post by baaabaaa » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm

spike wrote:
baaabaaa wrote:

so much for your branch committe then unity in strength for the staff at birmingham my A**e
It is as I said, most of the staff here think of one thing and one thing only no matter what the committee does.

Many are not in the POA and many that are now will not be soon. Our branch chairman and seceratary appear to spend most of their time avoiding the landings even when they're on EGP so what little faith people have had they do not now.

Ostrich's (apart from 1/2 doz it would appear) one and all.

palace76
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by palace76 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:35 pm

What a sad state of affairs.If we can't all start at our profiled start times (not breaking any contractual obligations) what chance have we got in putting up any resistance to privatisation.Have people become so self centered, so scared of what might happen that we can't even make the smallest of protests.
We will ALL be moaning when we're doing the same job for less money,less holiday and a poorer pension but it seems only a FEW will stand up to be counted to show our dissapproval. :slRA2:

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 am

Many of the staff at our place are talking of leaving the union.However as all they do is talk ,they wont be missed.I am looking at what im in the union with and thinking that maybe my £13 a month might be better spent on a case of Carling.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

mickeymouse
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mickeymouse » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:19 am

What on earth is wrong with staff, we are been asked to do something simple for the good of all but no, no, no we cannot even manage that, talk of saving £13 per month just do it cancel your DD don't just talk about it, if your not complying with the NEC request to work to your contractual obligations then you should not be in the union anyway,it is the same old story of the few standing up to be counted and everyone else taking what they can. Absolute disgrace. :slst:

Gopper
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Berserker'

Post by Gopper » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:52 am

It was my belief that the recruiting criteria had changed awhile ago to ensure that they recruited yes men/women. They steered away from the more austere, ex military, life skills, say No first type prison officer. Most of the management are selected because of their skills in grovelling and blindly following orders without question who see their task is to manage prison officers into submission.

I have even heard that they now train new officers how to report on their colleagues!

When I joined the service I had no worries about other staff coming to my assistance, I knew that if I raised the alarm within seconds staff will be by my side and remain their until we were all safe. I knew also that if a manager tried to stitch me up with an investigation, colleagues were there to help. We all watched each others backs and there was a sense of pride that you belonged to unified group of disciplined people who had bottle.

Those who will not support their colleagues at Birmingham are SCABS

Anadin
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Warrior Mage'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by Anadin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 am

Gopper wrote:It was my belief that the recruiting criteria had changed awhile ago to ensure that they recruited yes men/women. They steered away from the more austere, ex military, life skills, say No first type prison officer. Most of the management are selected because of their skills in grovelling and blindly following orders without question who see their task is to manage prison officers into submission.

I have even heard that they now train new officers how to report on their colleagues!

When I joined the service I had no worries about other staff coming to my assistance, I knew that if I raised the alarm within seconds staff will be by my side and remain their until we were all safe. I knew also that if a manager tried to stitch me up with an investigation, colleagues were there to help. We all watched each others backs and there was a sense of pride that you belonged to unified group of disciplined people who had bottle.

These are very strong words. Some choose to work as they did before because they may have holidays booked, some because they don't believe in industrial action in our line of work.

It is still the case that colleagues will be at your side, quickly, during outbreaks of violence and potential outbreaks of violence.

I know it is still the case that you can rely on your colleagues to watch you back and I know that there is still a sense of pride among the majority of officers who do our job.

Reporting fellow officers who have done wrong is not wrong in itself. How many times have you said, after somebody 'left' "I knew there was something funny about them". How much quicker could they have 'left' if fellow officers had raised the alarm sooner? Sometimes the code of supporting fellow officers regardless is not the right course.

mickeymouse
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mickeymouse » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 am

Anadin wrote:
Gopper wrote:It was my belief that the recruiting criteria had changed awhile ago to ensure that they recruited yes men/women. They steered away from the more austere, ex military, life skills, say No first type prison officer. Most of the management are selected because of their skills in grovelling and blindly following orders without question who see their task is to manage prison officers into submission.

These are very strong words. Some choose to work as they did before because they may have holidays booked, some because they don't believe in industrial action in our line of work.

It is still the case that colleagues will be at your side, quickly, during outbreaks of violence and potential outbreaks of violence.

I know it is still the case that you can rely on your colleagues to watch you back and I know that there is still a sense of pride among the majority of officers who do our job.

Reporting fellow officers who have done wrong is not wrong in itself. How many times have you said, after somebody 'left' "I knew there was something funny about them". How much quicker could they have 'left' if fellow officers had raised the alarm sooner? Sometimes the code of supporting fellow officers regardless is not the right course.

Fair point but it's simple if someone does not want to support fellow officers and the NEC then get out :slby:
Last edited by Perdition on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected quote brackets

flowerman
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Cleric'
Sacred: 'Cleric'

Post by flowerman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Before suffering my horrendous banishment from this site for a whole week, I distinctly remember prevaricating with one or two-or three members here about the policy of "work to rule" I suspect Carbon was one amongst those that was most vociferous on the subject. Today, over one week later we see what such policy has achieved. Absolutely nothing. I have never been a one to use the words "I told you so" However, in this instance I can think of none more suitable.

"I told you so"

In total understanding

The Flower Man

Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Carbon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Flowerman, be very sure of your facts before you put text on the page. I have said nothing to the moderators of this site regarding your conduct.

I said in my earlier post, I chose to ignore your ramblings and keep myself to myself.

Therefore if you have issue with your being banned for a week might I suggest you speak to the moderators and not jump to conclusions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic