high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

fredthered
Executive Member
Executive Member

Screwed . . Ronnie Thompsons book

Post by fredthered » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Hello

I just read the extract from Ronnie Thompsons book and wondering what current prison officers thought of it....

http://www.ronniethompson.co.uk/extract.pdf

Is it a good honest reflection of our Prison Service?

Fred
Panic on the wings of Wandsworth
Panic on the landings of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again ?

BACON-MASTER
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BACON-MASTER » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:10 pm

what a load of bo**ox .
the language he is useing and the way he is presenting looks like he is trying too hard , almost forced . maybe someone who did their training and quit soon after or an OSG/storeman etc with illusion of grandeur :lol:
something about the way its written that just dosnt ring true , cant put me finger on it though
" mind those stairs son , they might be we......................."

BACON-MASTER
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BACON-MASTER » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:26 pm

just read it all now , what a load of shite - got less than 5 yrs in and is 27 IIRC , would love to know when the book was written as he says he was at wakefield , that shut as a training school quite a few years back.
sounds like the one of many 'SAS' books written by catering corps :wink:

Iggy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Iggy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 pm

:roll:

I've ordered a copy of it this afternoon...

I'll read it and see what I think of it with no Prison Service experience.
BACON-MASTER wrote:one of many 'SAS' books written by catering corps :wink:
:up:

Mash
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mash » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 pm

I read that extract and had some pretty similar thoughts to BM in regards to how it's written, so I decided to risk £9 as it hasn't brought me any joy on the lottery!

I have to say it reads like to me someone who has had abit of stick off the service in relation to an 'Incident' and then thought sod it lets right a book and big myself up and show the prison service as a complete disaster area.

For saying throughout the book he says how he hates officers who are bullies and cowards, in one chapter he describes how he had no option but to follow a colleague into the pub toilets to clump him one as he didn't back me up in bend up. All seems a little plastic gangster for me.

Makes for interesting reading if your in mine and stever 's position of starting in a few weeks time thats for sure, especially with me being a rather large lump of man according to this book I will spend my time in blue coveralls smashing my way into barricaded cells on a daily basis or in a brief moment of respite just bending up someone who has took my good nature one step to far!

Personally I'll read it till the end as not to waste me £9, some of the information in the book I am sure when I've done my training will mean more to me when I see it for myself on a wing.

Though all his tales of confrontation will be no worse than what I saw and was part of while working the doors for the last few years the one thing I seem to understand abit more is that your mouth is your best weapon :wink:

milessinclair
Official Member
Official Member

Post by milessinclair » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 am

What a bizarre bloke this Ronnie Thompson is.

It seems he hated everything about the job - the breakfast, his trousers, the drive to work, the Governors, prisoners . . . oh yeah, his colleagues.

He does struggle to control his language. How did he manage to write a prisoner report without referringto them as w**ker ar worse?

I shalln't be buying the book. I have enough friends and family on both sides of the wall to know the reality - and none have described it like anything in that extract.

m

BACON-MASTER
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BACON-MASTER » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:55 pm

with you on that one MASH , he does appear slightly disgruntled !!
strikes someone who has heard loadsa war stories and has taken them on as his 'own'.
going back to original point about him training at 'Wakey' . I am pretty sure it closed as an OTS 10 yrs maybe more ago , anyone remember ? if this is the case (1) the book was written a long time ago (2) he didnt join at 22 but maybe whilst he was in short pants (3) he is full of $hite :lol:

Padlock

Post by Padlock » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 pm

I hope this extrack is wrong because if true it doesnt fill me with confidence.

bloggs01
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bloggs01 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:47 pm

You will find that most prison officers will not read or watch prison orientated books or films/tv programmes because they are all rubbish and detached from the truth - with the exception of Porridge which is about as near to the truth as it can get. :)
WARNING - Internet forums may contain nuts

Padlock

Post by Padlock » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 pm

:D glad to hear that.

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:00 pm

haven't read any of the books written by prison officers or former ones but surely it can't have that much intresting things in as most of it like where people are and operating procedures will surely fall under the national secrecy act or what ever we sign when we start, was told telling things like that when we started was a big no no, if thats the case what is in them?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:45 pm

:mrgreen: hehe that's a point - where do we go from here?

Iggy have you read it yet? :twisted:

Kickyourdog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Kickyourdog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:57 pm

I have just finished reading this book (2 days), i dont know why but i just couldnt put it down, my reading is usually restricted to The Sun and the back of cereal boxes!!

Apart from the excessive foul language used by the author (?) and the 'Look how macho i am' parts, it was a very good read.

Would be good to hear some opinions from serving officers as to how 'real' the books content is?

Dog.
Godber: I'm only in here due to tragic circumstances.
Fletch: Which were?
Godber: I got caught!

stever
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by stever » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:34 pm

Have to say I enjoyed it once I got over the excessive use of language. Clearly not a grammer school educated individual. Starting in one week and have to say it scared me a little. MOst of his methods and practices did seem a little draconian.

My attitude to it was that it gave me an insight and lots of termanology that will help me during my training, but at the end of day I will find my own way.

Face value buy its a good read, shall leave open judgement on its authenticity until I have a year or so under my belt. But he kept the suspence going till the end so treat it like any discounted book selling in asda/ Entertainment!!

Kickyourdog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Kickyourdog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:48 pm

stever wrote:Have to say I enjoyed it once I got over the excessive use of language. Clearly not a grammer school educated individual. Starting in one week and have to say it scared me a little. MOst of his methods and practices did seem a little draconian.

My attitude to it was that it gave me an insight and lots of termanology that will help me during my training, but at the end of day I will find my own way.

Face value buy its a good read, shall leave open judgement on its authenticity until I have a year or so under my belt. But he kept the suspence going till the end so treat it like any discounted book selling in asda/ Entertainment!!
Couldn't have written truer words myself.
Godber: I'm only in here due to tragic circumstances.
Fletch: Which were?
Godber: I got caught!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic