high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

UKmember
Committee Member
Committee Member

How Prisons are Regulated

Post by UKmember » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:42 pm

How Prisons are Regulated

There are a number of ways in which prisons are regulated, making sure that prisons are run securely and safely, with the welfare of both prisoners and staff a prime concern.

Independent Monitoring Board (formerly Board of Visitors)

The Independent Monitoring Board used to be called the Board of Visitors, but its name was changed to reflect the role of the Board and to avoid confusion with Prison Visitors.

Every establishment in England and Wales has its own Independent Monitoring Board. These are independent watchdogs drawn from the local community who are appointed by the Minister to monitor the welfare of staff and prisoners and the state of the premises. Members have unrestricted access to all parts of the establishment, with the only exceptions being on grounds of security or personal safety.

Board members will raise prisoner and staff concerns with management, the Governor, Area Manager, Headquarters, or even Ministers. In the event of a serious incident at an establishment, a Board member must be invited to observe the way it is being handled.

Prisons and Probation Ombudsman (PPO)
The Prison and Probation Ombudsman is an independent point of appeal for prisoners and those supervised by the Probation Service.

For the purpose of investigations, the Ombudsman has full access to Prison Service information, documents, establishments and individuals, including classified material and information provided to the Prison Service by other organisations, such as the police. For medical records, the prisoner's consent is required for disclosure.

You can find out more about the Ombudsman on the PPO website - a link to which is available on the right of this page.

HM Chief Inspector of Prisons (HMCIP) for England and Wales
HM Chief Inspector of Prisons is independent of the Prison Service and reports directly to the government on the treatment of prisoners, the conditions of prisons in England and Wales and such other matters.

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: How Prisons are Regulated

Post by Miquay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Anyone had dealings with the regulators/inspectorate?
Was it an OK process?
Are they totally pro-prisoner or are they a true asset which help you do your job as best as you can?

All instances need to be nice and general so no specifics necessary. I am not a journalist but am just interested.
M
same time, same place, can't wait

sprouty
Expert
Expert
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by sprouty » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 pm

We will all have had some form of dealings with HMCIP at some point.

Some good some bad but they have a job to do and they do it well even if at times we may not agree 100% with the findings.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Miquay wrote:Anyone had dealings with the regulators/inspectorate?
Was it an OK process?
Are they totally pro-prisoner or are they a true asset which help you do your job as best as you can?

All instances need to be nice and general so no specifics necessary. I am not a journalist but am just interested.

M
The IMB at my prison are very good & the vast majority are pro staff. The prison ombudsmen in my experience are very much 'on the fence' which is only correct.However, the chief inspectors of prisons are a different kettle of fish!!! They all appear to be VERY pro inmates, they think the sun shines out of their backsides. 99% of their recommendations involve giving prisons more of everything & slagging off staff. The wost thing about that is the prison service except what they are saying, most of the time.
Another group not mentioned is the outside audit team, who live in a world of 'black & white' forgetting that we work in a world that is very much 'grey' They are a complete waste of space, too expensive to run, serve no purpose & should be disbanded :slst:

Doublecuff
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Mage'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by Doublecuff » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:34 pm

Fully agree with you OS, just had HMCIP a couple of weeks ago and about 3 weeks before that we had a security audit, load of b####cks.
And how is it that I can hear a Governors keys from the next wing yet HMCIP just suddenly appear next to you with a big grin on their face ?
Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Miquay wrote:Anyone had dealings with the regulators/inspectorate?
Was it an OK process?

M
when the prison inspectors visited my prison, they spoke to the SMT, spoke to the POA I believe,spoke to groups of prisoners & to officers in passing. Some officers asked to speak to the team & were seen by them.No groups of officers werespoken to by the inspectors
All in all the report was based on the views of the SMT & the prisoner groups.Officers who in many cases were being 'slagged off' by prisoners were not able to put their side of the story which was not known untill the report was published!!!!
The report in my opinion was very one sided -in favour of the prisoners& many recommendations were all for giving prisoners more of everything & called it progress!!!
The report also recognised the difficult job officers do & the serious problems caused by drugs,mobile phones, over crowding,bullying,mental health /ACCT prisoners have on the prison.
what will happen as a result of the visit, nothing I suggest appart from prioners being given more!!!!!!!!!!-

Prae
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Prae » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 pm

During a recent visit to my establishment by HMCIP I was stood on my landing when a short blonde woman marched up to me and before I could ask if I could help, she physically shoved her way past me without saying a word. She then asked a con just behind me "Good morning, Mr. ??". She was closely followed by a Principal Officer who told me it was Anne Owers.

In my opinion HMCIP are very anti-staff, particularly when the Chief Inspector treated me with such contempt, imagine if I treated a con like that in front of her!

Luckily the IMB at my prison are pro-staff.

Boogaloo
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by Boogaloo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 am

Just last month we had a team from the HMCIP visit our establishment they were with us over a three day period and between them (i think there were six of them) they inspected our regime and the various depatments etc etc.
they spoke with the prisoners and staff and were always around scribbling things down on writing pads and observing the day to day running of the wings etc.
As we are not HMP they can only recommend things they feel do not come up to scratch although saying that we do try to meet any recommendations they pinpoint.
Will be interesting to see if our Prison service review still goes for the WFM ,as it seems likely to do , although the POA have thrown it out....??? hopefully we as the Officers will ,when the time comes, do like wise and vote against it.
:slbx:

Graeme H
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Graeme H » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:58 pm

HMCiP are independant and have a separate remit to that of the IMB. Neither are 'Pro-Prisoner' or 'Pro-Staff', but instead 'Pro-Decency'.

things have moved on since I first joined, when the IMB consisted of either 'left wing ' or 'Right wing' with very few if any of neither persuasion.

Receptiondaddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Cleric'

Post by Receptiondaddy » Fri May 01, 2009 9:52 pm

I met Anne Owers briefly once.

I was sorting out the inductions and she came in with her team. They spoke to the prisoners but asked nothing of the staff. No problems and it went very smoothly. The prisoners were very well behaved and had nothing bad to say about the prison.

As Ms Owers went to leave I could'nt help myself and the words were out of my mouth without a seconds thought. I said:

"Right lads, when the inspectors have gone I want you all back into uniform and in the tea boat for a debrief"

The prisoners smiled. And so did the inspectors!!

PrisonerBen
Banned Member

Post by PrisonerBen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: How Prisons Are Regulated

For what it's worth, cons regard the Inspectorate, the IMB and the Auditors as big a waste of space as staff do!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic