should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED?

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

totally block all mobile phone signals inside all prisons

yes, it's the only way to be sure
64%
yes, simple and totally effective
28%
no, searching for mobiles is better
4%
no, we can rely on informants
No votes
no, the prisoners themselves can hand them in
2%
I really don't know, ask me next year
2%

Total votes: 325

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED?

Post by kristorf » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

psionite wrote:Rather than trying to block phone signals, wouldn't it be easier provide prisoners with mobile phones and use technology to monitor the calls?
Its nigh on impossible to monitor the 'PINS' system at the moment, and this gives a reading of who is on the phone, who they are calling etc, mobiles would be impossible to do so and hugely expensive.
Also the manpower needed would be massive, there are how many providers that we would need access to, plus the internet, e-mails, facebook etc..

Afraid that is a big non starter at the mo.

psionite
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by psionite » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:20 pm

5 providers of mobile phone networks. It's not as difficult as you might think

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 pm

psionite wrote:5 providers of mobile phone networks. It's not as difficult as you might think
:slhmm: so the Prison service provide all prisoners with their own rented mobile or an amount of mobiles are provided for each wing to issue to cons when they wish to make a call. All the calls to be monitored- by who? and who will have access to the calls? will the cons have their own issue sim card or will they buy/use their own legal or illegal sim ? If I were a con I would just use my own illegal mobile, or borrow one!

There is technology out there to block mobile phones in say a prison wing, just google mobile phone blockers and see for your self

Is this really a good thought out idea, that would work?

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Easylife » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:45 am

Some private prisons have had in cell phones for years and prisoners can use them whenever they like as long as they have credit,this apparently means mobles are almost unheard of in those prisons.
They also have automated canteen and unlimited spends.Sounds great from a staff point of view as canteen and credit issues take up so much time.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Floi

Post by Floi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Does the technology that would block mobile phone signals have any detrimental effect on the airwave communications system?

If not then it should be brought in.

liberty

Post by liberty » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:54 pm

It all comes down to money; however the new prison I work at, had the opportunity to put a phone blocker in place, but decided not to. The reasons they gave, Firstly money. I’m sure it would be worth every penny in the short and long term. Secondly that it affected the phones on the outside of the prison. Not sure if that is just a cop out. Lastly that it is not 100% effective. Unfortunately the public or goverment do not wish to spend money on prisoners or prisons, Out of site out of mind

Crumbling Victorian Cat B
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Crumbling Victorian Cat B » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:18 pm

liberty wrote:It all comes down to money; however the new prison I work at, had the opportunity to put a phone blocker in place, but decided not to. The reasons they gave, Firstly money. I’m sure it would be worth every penny in the short and long term. Secondly that it affected the phones on the outside of the prison. Not sure if that is just a cop out. Lastly that it is not 100% effective. Unfortunately the public or goverment do not wish to spend money on prisoners or prisons, Out of site out of mind
Who gave you those reasons, "The Governor" or did you hear it third hand,rumour mill !
Ex Officer

liberty

Post by liberty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Crumbling Victorian Cat B wrote:
liberty wrote:It all comes down to money; however the new prison I work at, had the opportunity to put a phone blocker in place, but decided not to. The reasons they gave, Firstly money. I’m sure it would be worth every penny in the short and long term. Secondly that it affected the phones on the outside of the prison. Not sure if that is just a cop out. Lastly that it is not 100% effective. Unfortunately the public or goverment do not wish to spend money on prisoners or prisons, Out of site out of mind
Who gave you those reasons, "The Governor" or did you hear it third hand,rumour mill !
A Deputy Governor, security department, second hand

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Apparently as from tomorrow new laws will mean mobile phones in prison will be illegal and all cases of possession passed to the police.

This may mean a change in evidence preservation techniques for officers and more work for the police.

Not sure how it affects staff in prison if a mobile is found.

Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ping » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Easylife wrote:Apparently as from tomorrow new laws will mean mobile phones in prison will be illegal and all cases of possession passed to the police.

This may mean a change in evidence preservation techniques for officers and more work for the police.

My bet is that at some point in the near future prisoners may be allowed mobile phones in prison (I said the same thing about them having televisions and got slaughtered for it). I would imagine that technologically this is feasible with restrictions being placed on sim cards so that they can only phone authorised numbers, the samaritans, Chris Tarrant etc. The only problem that would throw up would be call monitoring. But that should be possible too with a doctored sim. If they were legalised then it would no longer be an issue that costs millions to control.

But they still wouldn't be happy if they couldn't get on facebook.
Keep calm and carry on.

Wanderer
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Wanderer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Ping wrote: But they still wouldn't be happy if they couldn't get on facebook.
It wont be long before they are getting Facebook time, sounds horrendous but i give it 10 years maximum :slda:
Where the best just isn't good enough anymore

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Ping wrote:
Easylife wrote:Apparently as from tomorrow new laws will mean mobile phones in prison will be illegal and all cases of possession passed to the police.

My bet is that at some point in the near future prisoners may be allowed mobile phones in prison (I said the same thing about them having televisions and got slaughtered for it). I would imagine that technologically this is feasible with restrictions being placed on sim cards so that they can only phone authorised numbers, the samaritans, Chris Tarrant etc. The only problem that would throw up would be call monitoring. But that should be possible too with a doctored sim. If they were legalised then it would no longer be an issue that costs millions to control.

They have in cell phones in some jails.I do agree that this would be one less thing for staff to worry about.

Binky
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Binky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Ping wrote:

They would still bring in unrestricted phones to arrange drugs to come into the prison and to harrass victims but everyone having one would mean the dodgy ones would be impossible to find with mobile phone detectors.

COflyontheWALL
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by COflyontheWALL » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Skippy wrote:The only NZ prison that doesn't block well on paper is Mount Eden in Auckland. Think it is possible to block the rest or at least studies have shown that to be the case.

I think the problem with blockers is if your gaol is in a city or town area and then all the mobiles in the area might get blocked!
That's the reason they quote us at my facility, but I think they also don't want to part with the coin it will cost to install a truly effective system.

They do make a little sense. Currently, US Telecommunications law makes it unlawful for any US State or political subdivision to interfere with the signal from an FCC approved transmitter. The FCC is granting waivers for experimental projects in blocking cellphones in secure facilities. They won't run such an experiment where I work. When it was first opened in the 1790's, it was in the countryside. Now, it has been enclosed by the city and surrounded on both sides by highways. They won't try the new technology here until they are confident that they are not blocking some motorist trying to call in a car wreck, or Aunt Tillie laying in a heap at the bottom of her stairs trying to call 911...
To err is human. To blame someone else shows management potential.

Labon
Rookie Member

Post by Labon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:07 pm

falkor wrote:technology exists to BLOCK mobile phone signals

so, should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED ???
rumour has it our prison has purchased them :slsh: dont tell the perps

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic