should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED?

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

totally block all mobile phone signals inside all prisons

yes, it's the only way to be sure
64%
yes, simple and totally effective
28%
no, searching for mobiles is better
4%
no, we can rely on informants
No votes
no, the prisoners themselves can hand them in
2%
I really don't know, ask me next year
2%

Total votes: 325

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED?

Post by falkor » Mon May 11, 2009 3:46 pm

technology exists to BLOCK mobile phone signals

so, should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED ???

Dr Doubles
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Priest'

Re: should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED

Post by Dr Doubles » Mon May 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Course we should but in true tradition of the Prison Service Managment Board we should wait until a serious escape has been arranged using mobile phones, then we should wait until some notable Lord Wishy Washy has a two year enquiry followed by a report, then we will block them...in true PSMB dithering fashion.

BLOCK THEM NOW THEY ARE A DANGER TO SECURITY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT, A DANGER TO WITNESSES OR INNOCENT PEOPLE BEING HARRASSED.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED

Post by old sweat » Mon May 11, 2009 6:54 pm

falkor wrote:technology exists to BLOCK mobile phone signals

so, should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED ???
Short range blockers intelligence led, should be used. These would not affect mobiles used outside prison walls. Also inmates with mobiles should be guilty of a criminal offence & get a minimum of 1 year in prison( no time off) consec to any sentence being served( RX inmates found not guilty at court would have to return to serve their minimum 1 year sentence) .

scratch
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: should all mobile phones in prisons be BLOCKED?

Post by scratch » Tue May 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Nowadays, phone blockers can be targeted to within a couple of feet so there is no excuse for not using them. To say they will affect phones outside the prison is old hat and simply no longer true. I suspect the PS don't want to spend the money on them though.
The POA Minuteman, on duty 24/7, 365.......NOMS is a four letter word! Now available for after dinner speaking and speech writing!!

Rule43
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Rule43 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Technology does exist as we all have recently seen/know. However............................
There is a slight difference between handheld devices and building the equivilent of a Faraday Cage , electronically enclosing an establishment without affecting ANYTHING 1mm outside of the perimeter so as not to contravene any parts of the the telecommunications act.

Yes it can be done. But far from cheaply!
Silence is Golden
Gaffa Tape is Silver

Giantstriker
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Giantstriker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Why is or was there any debate or consideration given to mobile phones ever forming part of the Prison System? The way I have seen them used within prisons by managers has shown me how much of a security risk they are.Yet the arguement against them would probably be driven by those saying there is a risk from visitors to the prison.The risk within prisons at times comes from complacency and I am afraid to admit that often,when it comes to using and speaking on mobiles managers are pretty lax.

No one is ever a million miles away from a land line in a prison. What happened years ago when there were no mobiles for pitys' sake?

They are not essential and no prison manager is so important or essential to anyone or anywhere that they have to be instantly contactable.

I agree that they they should be withdrawn and issue to NO one in the prison or allowed to be carried by anyone visiting inside the prison.Simple as that.

Giantstriker

Skippy
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:44 pm

The only NZ prison that doesn't block well on paper is Mount Eden in Auckland. Think it is possible to block the rest or at least studies have shown that to be the case.

I think the problem with blockers is if your gaol is in a city or town area and then all the mobiles in the area might get blocked!
simples

mrmckay
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by mrmckay » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:11 am

Of course they should be blocked, and if there are any issues with reception problems near establishments in cities/towns, it should be explained to the public why this happens - I'm sure most would understand. If prisoners can't use mobiles, monitoring of the PINS phones could pick up more intelligence, and trade in mobiles would disappear due to them being unusable. Win-win, for me!

mouiepower
Official Member
Official Member

Post by mouiepower » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 am

Mobile phones are not allowed at all in T&T Prisons.But they are smuggled in in different ways.I belive they are very dangerous but the admin of the T&T Prison service are draging thire feet when it comes to blocking them.I dont know what it will take for them to do it! :slaN:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Mobile phones are valuable commodities inside jails - last year 4,000 were seized in prisons in England and Wales.
SKY NEWS EXCERPT
Brian Caton, of the Prison Officers Association, told Sky News: "The Justice Secretary, Jack Straw, neither has the wit nor the will to realise how serious the problem is.

"We can stop this vicious and dangerous practice by installing phone blockers at prisons.

"There are already some at high security prisons but they should be rolled out across the country.

"The way to do it is to lock down every prison for two weeks and search for mobiles everywhere, every cell, every prisoner, everything. Then use all the technology we have to stay on top of it."

"It would cost the Treasury money but the benefits would be massive."

Panhead
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Berserker'

Post by Panhead » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:50 am

I have a friend who works in a high security US prison, they have a very simple but costly way of blocking them. There is a special paint that they use, it contains something that scrambles and blocks mobile phones signals. It only works in confined spaces, cells etc, so it has forced the prisoners to now risk using them during exercise periods which are all closely monitored by CCTV. So many have been caught with them and given extra time, (not just a silly slap on the wrists that they get here), that local intel now suggests that there are very few in circulation, if any. As the paint is very expensive to make and needs to be applied correctly, I doubt that our Leaders would even consider using it, however if they binned that giant waste of money called NOMS, they would have enough money to do every cell in the country with it!!
:slst:

Mase_
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Mase_ » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:50 am

We need to start blocking them as the tech is there, so no reason for it not to be used!
I agree with others aswell that if a prisoner is caught with one slap extra time on their tariff, not just naughty boy please don't do it again. I know that prisoners get others to hold the phones for them but maybe the threat of extra time inside would make them "talk" to the staff about it? Just a thought.
Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere.

Due to lack of interest tomorrow is cancelled

Sig007
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Sig007 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:52 pm

I cannot see how anybody would not see the advantage of blocking Mobile phones in the establishments. It would cut down on smuggling stuff in and getting there drugs in and just about any dodgy dealings at all. I mean what can they do on a mobile that is not restricted or they would use the pin phone.

Block them all and do it NOW!!

cheers

Sig
Despite the high cost of living - it remains popular!!!!

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Mobile phones flood into jails as inmates organise crime gangs

By Christopher Leake
Last updated at 1:02 AM on 13th September 2009

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

George Moon has been using a mobile phone o run an international cocaine ring from Lindholme Prison

George Moon has been using a mobile phone o run an international cocaine ring from Lindholme Prison

Record numbers of contraband mobile phones and SIM cards, which prisoners use to plan crimes from their cells, are being found inside jails.

Prisons Minister David Hanson has revealed that 4,132 mobile phones and 4,352 SIM cards were seized in the year to the end of March 2009 – equivalent to one phone and card for every 20 prisoners and more than four times the amount found three years ago.

Mr Hanson conceded that the figures would be even higher because they excluded phones retained by police for evidence.

The total of 8,484 finds is a 310 per cent increase on the 2,068 seizures in 2006. This rose to 3,672 in 2007 and 7,288 in 2008.

The mobiles and SIM cards are often smuggled into prisons by relatives or friends visiting inmates, hidden in their clothes or in presents. Some have been thrown over prison walls, and there have even been instances of prison officers taking them in.

Last month, convicted drug dealer George Moon was jailed for a further 18 years after using a mobile phone to run an international cocaine ring from his cell at Lindholme prison in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

Moon, 62, who was already serving 14 years for importing cocaine, used the mobile to contact Leo Morgan from Birmingham, an inmate at El Renacer prison in Panama, as part of a plot to smuggle cocaine with a street value of £300,000 into the UK.

After Moon admitted importing cocaine using DHL and Royal Mail Parcelforce, Judge Bryn Holloway said it ‘beggars belief’ how Moon was able to access a mobile phone and two SIM cards in jail.

Liberal Democrat Justice spokesman David Howarth said last night: ‘These figures are a clear indication that our prison system is awash with illicit mobile phones.

'The huge increase may be due to better searching, but there is a real fear that the phones found are just the tip of the iceberg.

‘The ready availability of mobiles and drugs are a clear indication of how our prisons are out of control. Phones are the key tool used by prisoners to supply drugs both inside and outside prison walls.

‘It is a year since the Blakey Review made some excellent recommendations to curb drug use and mobile use in prisons, but too little has been done. Ministers must act.’

The Ministry of Justice says it is strengthening security at prisons to prevent mobiles and SIM cards being smuggled in and is supplying technology, such as phone signal blockers, to stop inmates using them.

Read more: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/arti ... z0R0J602OF

Freewheelin

Post by Freewheelin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Do it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic