falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Is prison life too soft?

Post by falkor » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 pm

By Richard Edwards, Crime Correspondent
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 25/04/2008

Inmates enjoy such comfort in jail that they are ignoring chances to escape, a prison officers' leader has claimed.

In one example, a drug dealer regularly broke into a Yorkshire jail over a six-month period, using a ladder to climb the walls and supply inmates with drugs and mobile phones.

The intruder walked across the yard with the ladder and used it to climb up to a cell window, which had been pulled apart with a crowbar and covered by a dummy grille.

Glyn Travis, the assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said: "It was an extraordinary case because none of the prisoners inside tried to escape when no doubt they had the opportunity.

"It tells me there's something wrong in society when people are breaking into prisons to bring in drugs, but the prisoners are quite happy to stay inside."

Inmates at a top security prison recently told Jack Straw, the Justice Secretary, that conditions there were like a "holiday camp".

They said they enjoyed the use of satellite television and video game consoles as well as their free bed and board.

Prisoners receive wages topped up by bonuses for good behaviour, while drugs are sometimes cheaper in jail than on the streets.

It is understood that there have also been examples of prostitutes being smuggled into HMP Sudbury, a Category D prison, in Derbyshire.

Nick Herbert, the shadow justice secretary, criticised what he called another example of a "failing prison system".

He said: "Prisons should be places of hard work and restoration, preparing offenders to go straight.

"Instead we have overcrowded jails where drugs are rife, prisoners are too often idle and there is little purposeful activity. It is time for a fundamental shake-up of our failing prisons system."

Mr Travis said the break-ins he described were uncovered last January at HMP Everthorpe, which holds about 700 Category C inmates.

The governor, Gary Monaghan, has since moved to an office job working in IT, the Ministry of Justice confirmed.

A spokesman said that inmates at Everthorpe were all in their cells at the time the drug dealer broke in.

However, Mr Travis said: "The prisoners would recognise that if a man can break in so easily and regularly, the opportunity was there to break out. But they did not try."

He blamed under-funding for leaving prison officers' morale at "rock-bottom", as they struggled to cope with an overcrowding crisis that meant conditions were verging on "anarchy".

"Drugs are coming into prisons at a rate that's so dramatic that drugs in prisons are actually cheaper than on the outside," Mr Travis added.

"Prisoners receive a wage for being in prison, they receive a bed, a TV in all cells, Sky television in most areas for recreational use, free telephones, breakfast in bed on many occasions, cash bonuses for good behaviour.

"And prison staff are forced to deal with them in such a subservient way. It's ridiculous."

A spokesman for the Prison Service said that it was aware of a security breach but dismissed claims of "cushy" prisons.

"During the incident, at no time were prisoners out of their cells or able to access any other areas of the prison," he said.

"Immediate action was taken with extra fencing, the removal of trees, extra CCTV cameras, and the transfer of the offender involved to another establishment."

The spokesman added: "All prisoners are provided with a breakfast pack each evening which they eat in their cells in the morning.

"If a cooked breakfast is provided prisoners have to collect it from the wing servery and take it back to eat in their cells.

"Access to televisions is a condition of acceptable behaviour.

"Television sets purchased for in-cell prisoner use are paid for by the weekly rental fee of £1 paid by prisoners.

"The average wage for a prisoner is under £10 a week. Televisions can and will be removed from prisoners whose behaviour is deemed unacceptable."

He added: "The National Offender Management Service recognises that a careful balance must be maintained between the concerns of the public that prisoners should not benefit from their criminal behaviour and the need to ensure that, wherever possible, prisoners are rehabilitated."

> more

jinxed
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by jinxed » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi

well having just seen the news tonight when interviewing a prisoner in Nottingham Prison taking his 4th break inside. He laughingly tells the world himself how easy it is and it isn't a deterrent.
There's nothing like getting it from the horses mouth...so to speak. Sadly it can only give the wrong impression to others, suggesting that they have nothing to worry about if they want to commit crime.
I supervise offenders on community work and regularly get told how easy it it compared to getting by on the outside. I couldn't handle being caged myself but it does seem quite popular with some.

What are we not seeing here? Has this just been glamorized by the media?

Bigtfromthenorth
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Bigtfromthenorth » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 pm

I think it is to soft, it's time they got rid of tv's , radio's etc..... It's like a holiday camp so why should they worry if there getting sent down, I bet they tell their mates that their going on holiday. I think that the goverment woke up and started taking note that this why Cons keep reoffending. I think it's time that prison should be a nasty place to go and perhaps people would consider that a life of crime isn't a easy way to make a living. Think of the victims of crime they have to suffer for rest of there lives while the con get's it easy. To me the EU are to blame with all this human rights Rubbish.

jinxed
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jinxed » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:06 pm

The EU didn't force the human rights laws in this country, it was Tony Blair. It has just been portrayed that we were forced to accept it. We could scrap it with no comebacks from the EU, and considering other countries in the EU have openly laughed at us for it...we should be embarrassed. Of course, coincidently Cherie Blair has made a killing out it.

Other than that, I find myself agreeing with you. I'm hoping there's someone out there that will comment and set my mind at rest that it IS tough inside and most don't come back...shall I hold my breath?

motherhubbard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by motherhubbard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:08 pm

as the partner of someone serving a sentence (first offence, cat c ) i can only give my opinion based on what he's told me, obviously he wants to be out but being in there is no hardship to him,( i'd say it was harder on me than him) apart from the obvious things he misses, family friends ect, he doesn't see his time as "punishing", but boring.
i think they do have it easy in certain jails, but not to the point where the press make it out to be butlins,

jinxed
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jinxed » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Being harder on the family outside I can understand, and having seen the effects on family when a friend went inside is quite saddening.
However, the point of it is, is that it is meant to be a punishment and when inmates say it isn't, that's when people should start re-thinking. I don't believe much can really be achieved by just locking people away but I do believe that punishment and education should go together...somehow

Under valued
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Under valued » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm

What are the POA trying to do !

Good they are trying to get the point across that prison should be more of a deterent rather than a place people want to be !
But what is all this about Prostitutes doing a roaring trade behind prison walls !

All i think the POA has acheived is making prison officers look corrupt and iresponsible in the eyes of the general public !

Prison officers are set strict guide lines on how the prison will run and what the prisoner can and cant have or do inside the establishment and we do the best we can with the regime and the instructions set for us !

Personally i think the Twat that made this statement has not got a bloody clue about Prostitutes and i can only think this would be a problem in an open establishment and not a closed prison .
If Prostitutes are getting into Closed prisons they will only be able to do this via corrupt officers as this clown from the POA has made us all look !
If officers are corrupt ..........Sack them and prosecute them but Do not Tar us all with the same Brush !
The gentleman who made this statement has made the Troops on the floor their paying members look Bad and not the service as a whole and i feel he should resign from his high paid job in the POA !

Hullabaloo2u
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Hullabaloo2u » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:03 pm

I have to agree with undervalued on the union member front. But to get back to is life soft inside let us look at the average day of a con "oops resident"! compaired to that of staff. con= convicted felon (naughty person) Staff=Prison staff (law abiding and serving member of sociaty)
Con Staff
Awoken 0700 0500
out of bed 0800 0500
at work 0910 0630
hours at work 4 13.5 unless detail need a"favour" and then indefinate
bills to pay canteen Many and getting more daily
Addressed as MR and/or Surname Gov, Boss, or several not sutible for here
complaints responded to within 24 hrs What complaint shared services/line manager/gov never recieved it

I am not bitter twisted or any thing and contrary to popular belief i do enjoy and take pride in my work but you cannot tell me that a system as set out above is right. and to make it worse we who have the POA with affore mentioned statements to the press and inmates who have 47 independent bodies who look after their rights, if they smash atelly it is replaced the same day if they smash the "CELL" (not as believed, by the powers that be, residence) windows they are also replaced same day as we cant have them get cold "perhaps they should have thought of that" Can be thought out and implamented by sane people.(by the way you try to get the same srvice by your home insurance company)
These people are sent to us by the courts for the victims of the acts that these "miss understood cherubs from a broken background (are you feeling sick yet) who just dont know how to express them selves " people have done.
It was Called Crime and punishment, now there is no punishment just crime,crime,crime,crime,crime,crime,crime,crime,crime. We Discharge and recieve every day of the week at our local, some of the inmates do both in the same week.
But still i will still get up tomorrow at 0500 and go to work ,get my keys and walk down the landing knowing nay hoping that one day the goverment will get it's head out of the soddin' sand and see what a farse they have created of this once great and proud nation. oops sorry i said i was awake not dreaming oh well there is always new zealand. :wink:
All the best watch ya back!! for you know not from were the asp shall come

candie1031
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Orc'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by candie1031 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:50 am

As im not an officer yet i thought someone might like to go to http://www.policespecials.com/forum/ind ... opic=67222 and discuss the nature of what prison life is like.Im sure police officers in general would like to know what happens after they enter the establishment.

Under valued
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Under valued » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:29 am

I have been reading the above link from the police specials forum !

Bloody morons claim that prison officers must just turn a blind eye to drugs and phones to stop them being bullied by the prisoners and most prison officers spend most of their day watching sky tv and playing play station games !
These pretend police men have not a bloody clue have they !

As i said in the above post the union has done its members a lot of Damage with their statement !

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Compared to prison life ( in locals, not able to speak about other types) yes it is soft, When I joined there was
3 to a cell, slopping out, 1 shower per week, no phone calls, TV on only association, a film on a saturday afternoon, 15 mins 6 days per week visits for remands or 1 30 min per month for cons, a small radio could be purchased ( roberts rambler for long termers) in the main 20 odd hours bang up- no flawed IEP systems in place,the list goes on!

Did the above help stop crime , no I don't think so, but there were less people banged up and prisoners NEVER said take me to the block it's cushy there!!!
I know that prison is hard for many prsoners also very stressfull, however, the lax regimes we have make it easier to survive. ( I forgot to mention the human rights act, the political correct brigade)

If prison was really traumatic, hard,difficult to be in then I'm sure all the thousands of licence recalls would not breach their licence and come back - in fact many prisoners have told be that they breach on purpose to come back!!!

hp4020

Post by hp4020 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Got to agree with under valued and old sweat.

I think its time Mr Travis got his fat arse back on a landing if thats the best he can come up with.

It did however provoke further debate that was a wee bit more helpful.

Self Tapper
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Self Tapper » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Im with UV and Oldsweat here. Yes prison is softer than ever before and some do indeed ask to go to the block for a little rest and recuperation! However, it is dumb to suggest we should go back to dungeons with slopping out etc. To do so would only lead to further discontent and thereby pain for front line staff.

The penalty of a prison sentence is the loss of time, something you can never recover. Life is too short to waste it rotting in jail, we dont need to torture people to achieve our ends. Mr Jarvis foolishly allowed his personal feelings to be expressed publicly and did us no favours in doing so. The part of his point which is valid is now sadly lost in tabloid sensationalism.

No go areas in jails? yeah, sure. What is this? The H blocks?
What peace may grow between the hammer and the anvil? T S Elliot

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

and ... so it goes on .....

Post by falkor » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 am

Inmate boasts of 'luxury' life in prison
By Richard Edwards, Crime Correspondent
Last Updated: 7:09am BST 28/04/2008

A man jailed for repeatedly stabbing his wife has said he is enjoying a luxury life in prison and boasted that he was "better off inside".

Donal Kelleher, 37, an inmate at HMP Cardiff, said that his en suite accommodation was "outstanding" and revealed that he was paid £10 a week - to study for a maths GCSE - which he spends on cigarettes, chocolate and "other luxury goods".

A prison officer who has worked at Cardiff for 15 years said last week that inmates were simply sitting in their cells watching snooker on television or playing computer games.

He added that a new health care centre put local hospitals "to shame" and made it easier to see a dentist than on the "outside".

The extraordinary claims were made after The Daily Telegraph disclosed last week that a prison officers' leader said jails had become so comfortable that some inmates were ignoring chances to escape.

Glyn Travis, the assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers Association, said the latest disclosure confirmed his fears and that "we need to address the root of what prisons are all about".

Kelleher, a former Welsh Guard, stabbed his wife Leanne seven times in the chest and back after she told him she was leaving him. He was jailed in 2005.

But writing to a local newspaper from prison, he said: "I am better off in here. I could only imagine how cold it was this winter living on the streets."

He added: "May I just say that the food and accomadation is of outstanding quality here.

"We have colour TVs, on sweet facilities, everything is provided for us eg toiletries, laundry.

"The staff are very friendly and helpful."

>> more

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic