high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Neil Samworth Podcast

Post by Bearguy »

Evening,

Just a little thread to recommend to would be officers to catch some content on YouTube of former strangeways officer Neil ‘Sam’ Samworth.

He has done a number of cracking interviews but now has his own channel, as well as a book, everyone go check him out and subscribe, well worth a watch 👍🏻

Dartsrob2

Re: Neil Samworth Podcast

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Read his book, seen he’s interviews. I think he’s a total sell out to be honest. Not to those he worked with but certainly to the establishment and hardly inspires those interested in the career. Always found his bias is in favour of the prisoners and to say PTSD stopped him from doing the job he doesn’t half like making money talking about it. By all means watch it but I’m not throwing money his way through views.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Never read the book to be fair so cannot comment on that, but I found his interviews canny, and in those kind of interviews, the content is cherry picked from a huge career, only the interesting/controversial stuff will be discussed.

Not everyone’s cup of tea !

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Without writing an essay I can’t explain it. It’s down to interpretation. I just don’t feel he offers a balanced argument in my opinion. Plus he’s been out of the game for 4 years now. How long is it before his opinion is outdated. What’s worse for me is people he worked with are still doing the job he got sicked off from and is probably making more money than them from his interpretation. That’s why I won’t be helping his cause.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

👍🏻

Post by Guest »

Dartsrob2 - I look forward to when you go “live” and see how you handle dramas on the wing! I’ve been reading a lot of the posts and you act as you’ve been an officer for years... my advise would be to drop the chip on your shoulder and enjoy poelt! Once you go live it’s a different story...

Post by Guest »

Bearguy - have to agree, cracking book and channel on YouTube. Have you checked out his podcasts with James English, especially the Marvin one?

I know first hand how challenging strangeways is... very unique prison.

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Interesting. I always thought I was trying to be supportive. Unlike others I’m trying to stick around for those starting on the recruitment path. Those further down the line helped me along the way. Unfortunately when employment starts they seem to disappear. It would be great to have the words of those 10 years into the career but they don’t exist on here. Seen as you have more experience than myself it would be great if you could hang around and share your knowledge. I and I think others would appreciate it.

Certainly don’t think I have a chip on my shoulder or if I do I don’t feel it. So if you want to tell me what it is please point it out.

You are obviously a samworth fan possibly you worked with him maybe you are him and that’s fine by me. What you can’t deny is he comes across one sided. The book certainly reads that way. I prefer a more balanced approach.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Now now let’s behave eh 😆 !!

Whether you like him or not, agree with him or not, that’s your own opinion.....I don’t like vegetables but I’m not down the allotments calling the carrots names 😆 !

I did watch the interview with Marvin, the Xmas special with James English, well composed throughout that was Neil. Marvin is a very excitable character !

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Ah bearguy you have a great way with words I must say. The vegetables analogy I hope I both remember and get to use it one day. I certainly agree mr samworth is great in front of a camera and grabs your attention.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Up early for a Saturday Dartsrob.....or not been to bed ?!

I’m coming to the end of a 12 hour stint, 1 more shift for the week then off for 4 🥃🎉🥂

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Was tired so went to bed maybe a bit too early then another hour or two getting back to sleep. 12 hours I always preferred them shuts. When I’m at work I don’t mind. Still hope it was a good un.

girlisace 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by girlisace  »

I love your posts Dartrobs! Still holding you to our 12 month private / public review hahah.

Will give this podcast a go. Does anyone have any other good podcasts they can recommend? My friends have recommended a good one to me. I’ve forgotten but when they wake up I’ll drop it in here if anyone is interested!

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

A year next month after your first sounds good to me.

girlisace 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by girlisace  »

The podcast is called a long stretch!