Quality of recruits nowadays

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Quality of recruits nowadays

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:29 am

I assure you working on the landings in one of the busiest cat b locals outside of London I sat there whilst conducting my briefings and looked at what the recruitment campaign has offered over the last four years and at least a quarter of them should have never been on the payroll.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Quality of recruits nowadays

Post by falkor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:32 am

can you give us a little more info on that? :slwott:

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:10 am

Isn’t it up to the senior staff to get the recruits up to scratch ?

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:53 am

There is mentoring programs in place to help probies but the old guard don’t like the landings anymore as they can’t deal with the increasing young adults who show no respect so a lot of the mentors have no experience so the trend is more often then not the inexperienced teaching the inexperienced.

Please don’t get me wrong I have had officers who are fresh in and fantastic and I would be more then happy to act them up in my stead if I was doing paperwork or meetings. Which I have done in the past

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:14 am

It riles me something rotten to see the disrespect people offer to others in all walks of daily life, let alone the kind of crap officers must face from some of the population who simply do not care.

The establishment is failing staff, old and new.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:55 pm

whats the answer though Bearguy? I agree, but what do we do?
at least a quarter of them should have never been on the payroll.
so how did they get through then? :sloo:
I would be more then happy to act them up in my stead if I was doing paperwork or meetings
this is sounding like a Senior Officer talking to me

are you saying you can "promote" a Prison Officer to Acting Senior Officer ? so then they conduct your briefings on your behalf? is this just you lumbering them with your job or do they actually benefit in some way? :slhe:

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 am

I’m not a serving officer (not yet anyway), let’s not kid ourselves here, it’s not the most glamorous job is it ! Just throw a couple out there, probably a load of shite but here goes...

I know that this won’t happen, but why not pay staff what they are worth given the duties they are expected to undertake ?? Make the job a financially attractive prospect, I was on the same salary in my old job working in a food production factory, it’s bloody daft !

In this day and age, money talks, is there any performance related bonus schemes ?

Is there any competition involved between different prisons based on performance of staff and ‘residents’ ?

How much backing do officers get from senior staff when things get nasty, are staff hung out to dry ?

It sounds silly but years gone by, my dad used to regularly frequent the prison officers club where he was, and it was great, there used to be a great feel around the place, like one big family, used to have discos, BBQ’s, vegetable shows, etc.....now, it’s dead on its arse, these places should be looked after for the benefit of the staff.

Now I’m just rambling on 😂

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 am

Bearguy I think you're onto something there

UK Example starting salary for a 39 hour week
(including 17% unsocial hours allowance)
Inner London £31,025
Outer London £29,485 – £31,485
South and South East £26,529 – £28,529
Other locations £23,529 .......Average UK pay is £27,277

USA Paid Annually
25% of Prison Officers $40,587
10% of Prison Officers $36,036
90% of Prison Officers $55,143
The average Correctional Officer salary in the United States is $45,585 (£36945)

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 am

The pay is poor compared to a lot of civvy jobs.
What is the increase in pay for people wanting to progress ie senior officer? Is it worth it?
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12/19
A&C decision 24/12/19
Failed vetting 30/12/19
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01/20
Decision overturned 25/02/20
Offer and vetting 17/03/20
Vetting passed 21/03/20
Covid-19 saga
Start ????

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:44 am

in 2017 the Police Foundation found that
when we look at the ratio of those at each rank to the next one up, it is: 5.2 Constables for every Sergeant, but only, 3.3 Sergeants for every Inspector.
so if you have just 5 prison officers to each Senior Officer I would say that there would be real prospect of promotion there, just as there is for Police Constables

but are there just 5 prison officers to each Senior Officer? I suspect its more like 10+ prison officers to each Senior Officer, so prospects are not so good, example of Senior Officer pay here

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:11 am

So not that great then.. The quality of recruits may not be great but back to what Bearguy said at the start of this thread, it must be down to the experienced staff to help them. Show them the ways, train them, tell them where they are going wrong and coach them to be better officers. You cant expect a new officer straight out of POELT to know what they should be doing. Id imagine it takes time.
J
ARC 26/11/19
A&C decision 24/12/19
Failed vetting 30/12/19
Appealed 16/01/20
Vetting passed 21/03/20
Covid-19 saga
Start ????

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 am

So not that great then.
not too sure

ummm the guy who 'started this thread' up top seems to BE a S.O, would be good to hear from him on this :slcoo: Mr Guest? are you able to comment?
it must be down to the experienced staff to help them
fair comment but ...... is it?

JCOX4
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by JCOX4 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 am

If not then who?
ARC 26/11/19
A&C decision 24/12/19
Failed vetting 30/12/19
Appealed 16/01/20
Vetting passed 21/03/20
Covid-19 saga
Start ????

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 am

Like with any job, no matter where it is, the senior/more experienced staff SHOULD lead the way and mould the newbies into an effective officer, recently, people on here have said because of under staffing, they have been thrown straight into the deep end after basic training, that’s not the way.

If this is not already the case, I believe there should be regular training from various sectors of the prison service for officers, continually challenging them on how they operate and how to improve, not just to be in the job and stagnate, get fed up with day after day shite with no prospects or incentive to do better.

As for the pay, the boots on the ground should be the most rewarded, they are the people on the front line, not someone who is sat in a nice warm safe office pushing a pen around. Trim the fat where it needs to be trimmed, not at the expense of officer safety, which was the case years ago.

In the other thread about a senior officer vacancy you posted Falkor, the salary on offer is crap !!!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:11 pm

well umm yeah not that impressive but it is Yorkshire maybe thats why but seems to show little, if any, margin against a regular Prison Officer's pay, I must admit I had to look twice, wow and check out all those responsibilities that go with it too
people on here have said because of under staffing, they have been thrown straight into the deep end after basic training, that’s not the way.
thats not the way and that comment , sadly is not even new either, that has been going around for a couple of YEARS now :slaN:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic