high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Covid restrictions

Post by TheRealMe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 am

Moj-recruitment-vetting-enquiries@gov.sscl.com

Alternatively, you could give priority recruitment a call on 01633 632600. I believe their hours are 4-9pm unless it’s changed.

Congrats on passing vetting 👍🏻

Deleted User 12971

Post by Deleted User 12971 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks man 👍 what's the purpose of the priority vetting line? I dont want to be a pain ringing them if it's not an urgent matter. I just want an update on when potential start dates will be

TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by TheRealMe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 pm

PR arrange start dates mate. I rang when I passed vetting when I joined last time round and they sorted everything there and then. Can’t say it’ll be the same now due to Covid but they’re the people to speak to.

TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by TheRealMe » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:32 pm

Well, looks like the government are starting to reapply the brakes as far as social contact goes, with the PM set to outline restrictions tomorrow, before coming into effect on Monday :slnote:

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:51 pm

This covid is getting bloody ridiculous, surely they should make exemptions for prison officer training! Can’t they test people who work in public services? Yet you can have 50 odd people drinking in a pub!

Gt456

Post by Gt456 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:10 pm

The government's rules wouldn't have an impact on training, unless HMP decided to read something that isn't there.... Which they probably will

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Bloody heck, surely they could just covid test poelts, before starting the course, and keep people in bubbles?
Surely prison Officer recruits would have priority for tests over the public, considering it’s a public service?
Absolutely makes no sense!

TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by TheRealMe » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:24 pm

Recruitment Update- 23rd Sept 2020

The impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) on Prison Officer and Youth Justice Worker recruitment – updated Wednesday 23rd September.

It is our prime focus to keep our staff and applicants as safe as possible through the HMPPS recruitment process. Following government guidelines, we are beginning to assess a small number of applicants, based on which prisons are a priority. We hope to increase this number in due course and will keep this page updated as often as we can. Please bear with us while we work hard to do this.

In the meantime, we would encourage anyone thinking about starting their career with us to register your interest for a Prison Officer role.

If you have already started your application, we will be in touch with you and keep you up to date. Our expectation is to reopen our centres as soon as it is safe to do so.

For more information on prison officer and youth justice worker recruitment, please read our updated Frequently Asked Questions below.

Is the prison service continuing to recruit?

We are now accepting applications in a few of our establishments across the country. If we are not recruiting in your area but you are considering applying for a role as Prison Officer we would encourage you to register your interest. We will then contact you as soon as application are open. Please do continue to check this page regularly for updates.

I am currently on a merit list. Will this be extended in light of the current situation?

For those candidates that are currently on a reserve/merit list which is due to expire before 30th September 2020, we have received dispensation to extend ARC accreditation to 31st December 2020. Should a role become available during this time we will contact you to discuss further.

When will I be able to attend my assessment?

Following government guidelines, we are beginning to assess a small number of applicants, based on which prisons are a priority. We hope to increase this number in due course.

If you have not yet been contacted with an assessment date, we will be in touch soon with your new date.

Do I need to wear a face mask to my assessment?

Yes. In line with the latest Government guidelines, please bring a face covering to wear to your assessment day.

I have accepted a formal offer but I am waiting for my vetting. How long do I have to wait?

We intend to continue with your pre-employment checks, so that we can welcome you on board at the earliest possible opportunity once our training resumes.

I am due to start my training, is that going ahead?

We are now starting to reopen our training colleges and get our training back underway. If you have not yet heard about your training restarting, someone will be in touch soon.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:01 pm

I’ve been on the ‘we’ll be in touch shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process for over a month now...
I don’t think the portal actually says if you’re vetting is
complete, unless I’m wrong?

TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by TheRealMe » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:40 pm

The message that you have showing is what comes up when vetting is complete and passed mate. When mine changed to that last time, I called that evening and was given a start date. I’m at the referred for a decision stage atm. See what happens next 🤞🏻

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:58 am

I’m sure you’ll be fine TheRealMe- I was stuck on this for ages, I created a thread about it!
Hopefully yours will be much quicker!
Maybe mine had to contact my last establishment to check I wasn’t sacked or anything, I’d guess they do this when applicants say they’ve worked for the prison service before, the question is asked on the vetting form...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic