POELT attendee's starting 31st July 2017

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: POELT attendee's starting 31st July 2017

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Yes, Thursday first thing in the morning!.

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 am

See I'm confused because isn't the academy 10 weeks long so if your doing your exam this week what do you do for your last week ?

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 am

Lthenewbie wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 am
See I'm confused because isn't the academy 10 weeks long so if your doing your exam this week what do you do for your last week ?
The last week will mostly be spent on finishing up your file that will make up your diploma, including outstanding assessments and workbooks.

There are also an extra few lessons which don't appear in the exam, so are left until the end

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am

Yes, as said the final exam is week 9, the 10th week is to finish off the paperwork, workbooks, anything else in the file as pointed out. Thankfully barring 3 pages of a single workbook mine are all done and handed in!. Also doing the final exam on week 9 than 10 allows for any resits if failing to reach the required mark without really affecting or missing lessons during week 9 that looks to contain some assessments that can't be missed. From what we gather they were looking at doing a few extra scenario's on week 10 to as there isn't to much that as part of the course that needs doing or outstanding. Also there has been rumours that we will now be finishing on the Thursday on week 10 instead of the Friday but still awaiting official confirmation on that.

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks for clearing that up ... can't wait to start now just over 6 weeks for me :slyay:

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Andy888 wrote:
Yes, as said the final exam is week 9, the 10th week is to finish off the paperwork, workbooks, anything else in the file as pointed out. Thankfully barring 3 pages of a single workbook mine are all done and handed in!. Also doing the final exam on week 9 than 10 allows for any resits if failing to reach the required mark without really affecting or missing lessons during week 9 that looks to contain some assessments that can't be missed. From what we gather they were looking at doing a few extra scenario's on week 10 to as there isn't to much that as part of the course that needs doing or outstanding. Also there has been rumours that we will now be finishing on the Thursday on week 10 instead of the Friday but still awaiting official confirmation on that.
Loads of people have mentioned finishing on the Thursday.

There was also a debate if you were supposed to go back to your establishment on the Friday.. I'm not saying that either or is the case it's just what I've heard other discussing..

Also one of the tutors mentioned the party being on the Wednesday night of the last week.. all speculation, personally I'm not too bothered either way 😁

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Well unless I get called to my establishment for the 4 hours or so on the Friday or receive any notification expecting me to go in then I'll not be going to the establishment on the Friday as my rota is quite clear for after week 10, but will keep an eye on it just in case its gets changed to take the Friday into account. But I've heard a story where 1 person has seemingly been called into their establishment on the Friday!. This is despite that we've not received any official confirmation yet on finishing the Thursday. They can simply add the hours due to the rest of the month in the tota if they want, not to bothered.

As for the last night party, I've heard the Wednesday mentioned to, though the bar area at Newbold isn't that big, can see it getting verry cramped unless they open up the coffee shop as an overflow area.

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Well done folks, loving hearing everyone's good news!! I was delighted to gain my UOF licence last week and to hear of everyone else getting theirs, that is an extremely intensive and tough day! 👏👏 approaching week 9 - all workbooks now complete except one, starting to feel rather accomplished now. 12 practical assessments to go, 9 working days to do them in so should be fine 😁 and the big exam this coming Thursday - obviously slightly nervous about that. Hope you're all well and good luck this week everyone! 💖💪👍
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Andy888 wrote:
Well unless I get called to my establishment for the 4 hours or so on the Friday or receive any notification expecting me to go in then I'll not be going to the establishment on the Friday as my rota is quite clear for after week 10, but will keep an eye on it just in case its gets changed to take the Friday into account. But I've heard a story where 1 person has seemingly been called into their establishment on the Friday!. This is despite that we've not received any official confirmation yet on finishing the Thursday. They can simply add the hours due to the rest of the month in the tota if they want, not to bothered.

As for the last night party, I've heard the Wednesday mentioned to, though the bar area at Newbold isn't that big, can see it getting verry cramped unless they open up the coffee shop as an overflow area.
Same.. if they want me in I'm sure they'll ask! Although it's possible that the week after week 10 I'll be shadowing nights at my establishment (as I have 3 weeks of shadowing to do before I go live) so it would make sense to not go in the Friday as I would normally get 3/4 days off before a week of nights anyway.. but it's all pie in the sky, it might happen or it might not!

Yeah I was going to book a room as a traveler but as I can't seem to get a clear answer on the exact night (as the last night is as I say just what I heard and can't rely on hearsay) I won't bother.. but even then it'll be too late by now anyway 😂😂

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am

Andy888 wrote:
we gather they were looking at doing a few extra scenario's on week 10
Oh lawd... I actually think those scenarios are utter BS. It isn't real, so it doesn't really resemble how you will react. It's just acting. I was in a challenging behaviour job in the past and all the courses and scenarios are just useless to prepare you. No real threat = No real reaction.

I really think they should do away with this rubbish and just give you an extra shadowing day, refine your C&R, or something procedural that will refine your knowledge more.

Fab05
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

What is the normal working day for you POLET?

I am starting my induction next week, and POLET the week after. My establishment say 08:00 and the letter from SS says 09:00 apart from Monday's?

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Fab05 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm
What is the normal working day for you POLET?

I am starting my induction next week, and POLET the week after. My establishment say 08:00 and the letter from SS says 09:00 apart from Monday's?
Hiya!

10am till 5pm Monday (but get there earlier so you have time to register in (travelling or staying) and time to settle into your room).

8 - 5 Tuesday to Thursday (you will be required to work until 7pm on one of these nights which will be agreed with your group).

9 - 12 Friday.. woohoo!!

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Andy888 wrote:

The tutor confirmed we will be in class on the Friday.. although it's highly unlikely they'll make us stay till 12!

RelaxedRon
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Sorry for being so quiet....I'm still here....

All practical assessments have been complete on my course. Just the finals this Thursday then the last week will be work books....getting a bit anxious but I'm sure all will be right..just keep reading my notes and hope it's going in. Good luck all
See those two houses over there.
Mines the one in the middle.

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 pm

SassySez wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm
Andy888 wrote:

The tutor confirmed we will be in class on the Friday.. although it's highly unlikely they'll make us stay till 12!
Yeah, we was told this today to, seems due to one reason or another we have to turn up Friday despite earlier plans to finish Friday being semi confirmed and despite being told there won't be anything to do or anything that needs doing on the Friday!. Its been suggest all we will be doing on the Friday is to turn up to class, little end of course chat with the tutor, get presented with the graduation certificate and out of there by 9.30\10am!.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic