Security Officer £24000 or Prison Officer

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

valesboy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Security Officer £24000 or Prison Officer

Post by valesboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 am

As the title says I'm a security officer doing a shift pattern of 3 days on, 4 nights on, 3 off, then 4 days on, 3 nights on and 4 off. My 4 off is a Thursday to Sunday every 3 weeks. The job is stress free mainly doing reception duties in the day (access control, issuing passes etc).
My question to you guys is would you give up this job if you was me to become a prison officer or would you stay with the security job?
The reason I applied was because the lease on the building ends next May and nobody has been told where we are moving to, causing uncertainty even though my supervisor has stated we will stay in the same city. So I seen this job and fancied it ( I worked as security in a job centre for 9 years dealing with difficult customers making threats to myself and kicking off.) Now after reading a few threads on here I'm not so sure, I've passed sjt and have my RAD on Wednesday but am now thinking of withdrawing my application.
Has anyone on here left a "cushy" job to become a prison officer and not regretted it? I really am undecided at the moment on what to do as I know I may regret it if I don't go to RAD, decisions, decisions eh!

CyberSquirrel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Security Officer £24000 or Prison Officer

Post by CyberSquirrel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:50 am

i didnt leave a cushy job, previous was a crock of poo! the best advise i can say is if your already thinking about withdrawing then maybe its not the job for you, its gonna be hard graft and its gonna bring high and low times, there is a shift pattern as such, definatley gonna be more exciting then your current! you RAD and POST results are valid for 12 months soo do it complete it and make your decision then, just dont start vetting till your sure as behind is someone who really wants the job and applying for something your not sure about is wasting your own time and sanity.

as a prison officer - you will miss birthdays, christmas, family enagaments, anniversarys and all the others inbetween!

hope it helped,
Applied & Passed POST - April 3rd
Familiarisation - April 6th
RAD Passed (3rd Try) - April 24th
RAD Results - April 27th
Vetting Started - May 5th
"The Call" - July 5th (Start 7th August)

valesboy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by valesboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks for replying, I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas Day last year and am working 7 straight shifts from Christmas Day this year as well it's just the way the shift pattern goes, if we're down for working Christmas then it's the only time of year we can't book off.
I know the job will be a lot more exciting and challenging, it's just family that are not keen for me to do it for fear of my safety and sanity more than anything I think.
I am one of those people who can leave my job and emotions at the door when I leave work I forget about it until I go back.
It's a great opportunity and I think I'd relish in the role, I can take abuse as I've had it when I worked in tbe job centres just not sure about having shit thrown at me lol.

Quickthinker
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Quickthinker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 am

Make a list pros and cons which ever you have more pros on is the job for you. I left security as with hmp its better work life balance better sick pay holiday pay pension to. You have job security to a point to. 5 weeks of a year plus 2 extra for rest weeks after nights. As i say draw up a pro n con list for each job then decide

Rocky1967
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by Rocky1967 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 am

Well , I'm leaving a job , which some might call it cushy , but then again to make ends meet I have to moonlight as a security guard . So the pay is not so cushy. It depends of what you define as cushy - have 6 bosses try to squeeze everything out of you , if day was 25 hours they will probably make me work the 25 hours, receive phone calls 7 days a week , even when I'm on holiday , there is no pay structure in the company I work for so asking for overtime pay or bonus , or time in lie is not something they believe in. Even that the contract is with NHS the company runs as independent business. The only cushy part of the job is that I can walk to it as its 10 minutes away from my house. Otherwise If you like to sit and stare at computer 8-12 hours a day till your eyeballs hurt then let it be cushy.
Yes , you definitely need to look pros and cons of the job.
The Prison officer job - from my understanding is dangerous ,not cushy , you will have to be available to work nights, weekends, holidays , etc.
You might like it, you might even love it . From my experience working with NHS and on lots of occasions with violent patients , I never had problems with patients . If there was a problem it was with staff that were in the wrong job.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 am

If you want a cushy job then stay where you are.
If you want a job that challenges you, is deeply rewarding,sense of achievement and you will bond with staff like no other job then apply.

Sometimes the best things cannot be quantified in money terms.

Ps their is as much pp as you want at the moment, you can create your own pay packet.

At the end of the day its your choice and making a pro and con list is wise.... However I didn't realise all the pros until I started

AJ 2017
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by AJ 2017 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Welcome to the site Valesboy! appreciate your first and honest post and i can understand why you might be having thoughts or second guessing yourself it's natural.

I myself did a bit of security at the job centre but changed quite a few years ago and am now at a very cushy job sat on my arse with a really good bonus scheme to earn extra money. But oh my god am i bored to absolute death!

What it really comes down to with me is i want a damn career i can be proud of and as cheesy as it sounds i want to do some good , i want to feel some self worth , i want to go home at the end of of shift with a smile on my face knowing i made a difference in some way. I'm not daft though and under any illusion i can change everybody , i know it will be the minority.

And regarding the difference in wage it's fully understandable that we all have to look after our family and finances and each of us have different amounts of dependents or bills but i really do believe as Sgtbush said the money is there and there is always promotions and different roles you can take on. No one would think less of you if this role isn't for you or you don't take it up for other reasons but for me it's taking a chance on a role and a career for yourself , i don't want to look back in many many years from now and be disappointed in myself that i never took a crack at something different and possibly rewarding.

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Coming from a security background myself, and from a financial point of view I'd point out the following. In my area and job, in many cases whilst we have technically had a pay rise this year, some places we do work at has had the pay grade downgraded to a lesser pay grade by our employer. Also more long hours shifts then ever now seem to be pretty much minimum wage for me, which I feel is disgusting considering the job and responsibilities we are often asked to do these days!. In other words security work for me is paying less now than 2 years ago!.

As least now I have a job with far more of a challenge, purpose and guaranteed contracted hours and greater job security than I think I've ever had!.

valesboy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by valesboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I think I'll have a sit down tomorrow and have a look at the pros and cons, the thing that concerns my family is the assaults on the prison officers, my wife has told me if I get the job she would be worried from the minute I go until the minute I get back home and it wouldn't be good for the kids either.
The pay, pension, holidays are all on par with my current job (except pension) and I would say there is more job security there in the prison service as well.
I think I will still go to the RAD test and will go from there should I pass it.
I have been told I have the potential to be a good prison officer as I am a good listener and very fair.

AJ 2017
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by AJ 2017 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 am

I think every one of us will have that slight worry about assaults and obviously not want that to happen but i'm sure we can avoid at times with how we act and conduct ourselves plus being alert and also with other staff to clue/back you up i'm hoping that it will be very few and far between but tbh valesboy we all hear about assaults but i would like it if Sgtbush or someone else could comment on how often this happens or when was the last time they was assaulted or it was attempted , it would be nice to have a clearer picture or at least some info

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 am

I'd also add that regarding the number of prison officer attacks, my establishment is seemingly one of the most violent in the area\country for attacks on prison officers (yet still no bonus payment to reflect working in difficult conditions like other prisons). This did have me somewhat concerned at first reading this. Then I read that was based on 80 recorded incidents of attacks on prison officers at my establishment last year (excluding prisoner on prisoner attacks of cause) and it kind of made me relax somewhat. As that's just over 1 1/2 attacks a week between what 150\170 officers!. Increased staffing levels should bring that number down I'd like to think. As would bring more vigilant and mindful of how you deal with the more known violent and aggressive prisoners.

I'm not overly concerned to the point it worries me, but still very mindful of the risk all the same.

Kirk
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by Kirk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:33 am

You have to do what's right for u. All of the doubt and second guessing ha e happened to us all including me we woudnt be human otherwise

I have a family too and I'm taking a pay cut my job is easy and safe, however I want a job that challenges me with camaraderie and prospects. As far as assault are concerned you can get assaulted walking down the road. You can be assaulted as a policeman or nurse or firefighter. Or Indeed any job that deals with human beings.

You can't live your life worrying about what MIGHT happen otherwise you won't leave your front door each day. You have been given the chance at a great opportunity and remember there a people who would have loved the chance but were turned down

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 am

AJ 2017 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 am
I i would like it if Sgtbush or someone else could comment on how often this happens or when was the last time they was assaulted or it was attempted , it would be nice to have a clearer picture or at least some info

In 10 years at MOJ working on and off the landings and my Time as an officer I have seen
4 assaults- none serious. The worst was one prisoner landing a half hearted soft punch on an officers arm.
Time as an officer I have been assaulted zero times and seen 1 assault, again not serious.. No injurys

Assaults that have happened on the wings where I work that I have heard of but not witnessed.

Only one required hospital check up. Prisoner landed a punch on a mental health worker in the eye. Required x ray. Nothing broken. Prisoner was having a ptsd flashback and health worker was retreating at the time.

These examples are what I consider an assault but the official figures on assaults will class a prisoner spitting at an officer an assault even if the offending sputum does not make contact

AJ 2017
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by AJ 2017 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 am

Fantastic! Thanks for that post SgtBush , and i knew it! i thought there would be nowhere near as many as people thought . I know it can happen to any of us but surely that post will put many peoples minds at ease.

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Probably as many attacks on a busy weekend in my local city centre as an entire year in most prisons, that's the way I'm looking at things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic