A good time to be joining

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Kirk
Committee Member
Committee Member

A good time to be joining

Post by Kirk »

What with the 2500 new Officers and the new agencyi including the new reforms for staff training recruitment and developmentI can't help but think this is a good time to be joining. The justice secretary's aim to re professionalise the role is welcome. When I was a kid the prison service was considered on par with the police as a career. I think after reading the white paper the service is on the up. They just need to sort out the starting pay.

Any thoughts

SgtBush 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: A good time to be joining

Post by SgtBush  »

Its 2500 additional officers, on top of the normal recruitment numbers,
I was told tho by someone in recruitment but like anything with civil service you need a pinch of salt!!!

From what I have experienced,which is very little to some on ere, prison officers are glad that new blood is coming in to the service

I just hope that noms can retain officers with a lifetimes experience that I can learn from.
Last edited by SgtBush  on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Kirk »

If and it's a big if that they do what they say they will then the measures should go a long way to encouraging retention Imo.
I've passed RAD and going through the employment checks now, I'll be honest I really have ooed and ached over to go through with it especially as there is a slight pay drop and all the negativity but with what I have read especially the white paper I am persuaded to see the process through and join

Quickthinker
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Quickthinker »

Theres two.fundemental problems with the service from an outsider comming in and these are
Retention of experianced officers- all the ones with 5+ years cant seem to get out quick enough which means new officers wont have the experianced officers guiding them and possibly younger officers teaching them whats what and this could lead to the service struggling in future years.
Problem to.is recruitment process it takes a good 3-6+ months to start your training which in that time other opportunities could come about and people drop out if not.something they really want.
The new agency has to better the conditions for experianced officers and make it that they want to stay and pass on.experiance down
The second thing they got to do in my oppionion is speed up the recruitment process alot so possible candidates can get in and start there career.
Me personally cant see any of this happening when budgets are being cut.

Kirk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Kirk »

All very valid points let's see how things improve with the new reforms as they are rolled out

GoonerMase
Executive Member
Executive Member
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Post by GoonerMase »

Hope it is, I start in 3 weeks ive wanted to do this job since I was about 17 (newrly 16 years back). Life got in the way, my family now complete it is time to pursue my career choice.

PeaGreen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PeaGreen »

My mum was a Prison Officer when I was younger, she said she wouldn't join the service in the state it is now. In fact that's a sentiment I've heard from many ex-officers.

I'm super excited to be getting into the Prison service though, and I think there's a lot of potential for the reform, lets just hope it goes as well as we hope it does!
Fear cuts deeper than swords

Thepower 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Thepower  »

Hmm I don't know whether it's a good time to be joining...

Reform has always been a buzz word around the prison service...look at this way in 2010 we had 7000 more prison officers working the landings than what we do today however those 7000 were mostly experienced officers, although the recruitment is needed Jail craft takes years to learn, I wish I could be more positive but replacing experienced staff with newbies leads to the blind leading the blind...

it's a job what takes a good few years to learn and with the prison service been a stepping stone career to a lot of staff nowadays it is unlikely to change a lot at all.... with wages the way they are now they aren't exactly making it attractive to stop, the starting wage is around 21k take off your unsociable hours your not even earning 17k a year now most civvy jobs pay that and you do not have the amount of things or risks to deal with

Kirk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Kirk »

I do understand, I'm a civil servant currently and I have seen a lot of changes but I sense a real desire from Liz Trus to put things right. And make the prison service a career of choice, from what I've read it In the white paper, and from what I can tell it is what officers have been asking for. Especially on the attempt to remedy the retention issue. I agree that the starting pay needs to be addressed to attract and retain staff especially when u can work as a security guard on not much Less.

Time will tell, I do suggest you read the white paper it is interesting and if they do what they say they will then maybe a corner has been turned and things will improve.

Stobie93 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Archer'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by Stobie93  »

The white paper looks good but I agree with power, look at what "reform" has done for the NHS it's a buzz word and until it's actually done and they stick to all their promises it shall remain simply a buzz word.
I believe in Per Sec (personal security)
It's a good belief and never disappointed.

Kirk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Kirk »

I totally agree with you "the proof is in the pudding" as they say.

andylamb 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by andylamb  »

This is possibly the most positive thing I have seen since signing up.
all other reports have been nothing but doom and gloom, but I could not help thinking that with a system so close to breaking point there must be light at the end of the tunnel and something must be done to rectify the issue.

However, is it going to end up being a series of short term solutions to long term problems.
My Karma just ran over your dogma.
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Application & Vetting & Appeal - 01/03/2017 >
Contract - 08/05/2018
POELT due to start - 31/06/2017

SeaDragon
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by SeaDragon »

Thought I would resurrect this thread as it's a positive one, and add the link to the paper in case anyone wants to read it

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -_web_.pdf

Being a cynical Civil Servant I won't get too excited! However it is encouraging to see the drive to reform; here's hoping the Treasury stump up the funds needed. Sadly, Joe Public rarely wants to hear that more of his taxes have gone toward the prison service - there needs to be education of the masses as well that Prisons are for reform not just the punishment element.
I went to sea to see the sea and see what I could see... and I all I've seen is the bloody sea! :slst:

Porkyp
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Porkyp »

Thanks for the link seaDragon and rebooting the original posts. I'm starting Monday at my establishment of choice and then moving on to My training establishment. I'm no spring chicken and have thought long and hard about joining the service. Having done exhaustive research on all the statistics both bad and badder more recently I've decided to throw my life experiences into the mix. What's done is done and coming in fresh I have no preconceived ideas about the old days. The white paper is positive and I would imagine others like myself as newbies will learn the craft from a variety of different officers. There will always be those who resist change and reminisce and others who welcome it. This site has been invaluable for me in getting the inside track on the reality of the task ahead. Many thanks to all those contributing to the posts on this site and I will reciprocate with my own posts throughout my journey.

SeaDragon
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by SeaDragon »

Apologies if I sounded negative; that wasn't the intention! Despite my cynicism I do think this is a very positive step - certainly from an outsider's perspective. I'm a cynical civil servant in another government department at present but waiting on an offer after passing RAD!

I do however always try not to get too excited about things like this - experience has taught me sadly that changes that are promised don't always get carried through due to the ever present threat of budget changes!
I went to sea to see the sea and see what I could see... and I all I've seen is the bloody sea! :slst: