35%

Total votes: 498

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: assaults on prison officers

Post by BADASSMOFO » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm

judypatudy wrote:
BADASSMOFO wrote:I don't think brutalising prisoners is the answer to our problems, but we must certainly challenge robustly any negative behaviour.

You are so wrong !!
We are NOT brutal as you think..
Our officers ARE NOT just there to make sure
the prisoners stay inside!!!
:kn:
I didn't say that the American penal system did not rehabilitate offenders, I simply stated that the use of force (or boxing gloves) was not the answer to our problems as you'd earlier posted Judy. I am a serving Prison Officer of 11 years and have been the victim of a number of assaults, both purposeful and "accidental" (if there is such a thing as accidental assault!). My implication was that prison staff should act strongly against negative behaviour. Over here we have a violence reduction policy which, unfortunately is not adhered to by some staff and the prisoners then seem to think that they are "getting away" with certain misdemeanours. This in effect is a policy of zero tolerance on any adverse conduct by prisoners. However, if they don't get picked up on their actions, then sadly they tend to escalate things and get worse. I trust this clarifies my position on the brutalisation of prisoners? :?
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

Self Tapper
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Self Tapper » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:04 pm

the home office should go back to recruiting from the armed forces instead of the university of yes people!
Why? Because troops already have a sense of discipline and self worth instilled maybe? That can be achieved via a decent training program. This is a tired old refrain, how many employment groups do you want to restrict to ex-forces? Police, prisons, security, and on and on. The skills required to be a good officer can be taught for the most part but essentailly it comes down to being the kind of person with exceptional IPS, a decent lump of common sense and yes certainly the same loyalty, respect and courage the millitary develops. Some ex-forces would be a credit and asset to the service, others would be a dangerous liabillity, just like any other applicant group. Some graduates are soul destroying muppets of no purpose or value others are forward thinking, creative leaders. Just like any other applicant group.
What peace may grow between the hammer and the anvil? T S Elliot

Breakoff
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Priest'
Alignment: 'Shade'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by Breakoff » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Self tapper you are soooo right :slcl: :slcl: :slcl:

And what happens when the sh*t hits the fan and they need someone to go in and do the part of the job that is physical, or to be assertive after hours of talking and make an instant decision and just say the word NO? They then refer to another more senior gov/PSM that has time in who then asks "certain" staff to assist and get it over with.

Loving your threads mate

Breakoff :sley: :sley: :sley: :sley:
The prison spotter and history geek"

Self Tapper
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Self Tapper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Aw shucks, thanks mate :slbg:
What peace may grow between the hammer and the anvil? T S Elliot

collibosher
Official Member
Official Member

Post by collibosher » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:46 pm

i restrained a prisoner last week who was fighting on the assoc area , the other lad stopped fighting but he didn't so i initiated c&r.
both prisoners admitted fighting on their adjudication and the governors award was 14 days losses of everything suspended for 3 months.
wow thats telling em.

Breakoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Breakoff » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:04 am

Exactly, fight to the death, inflict a didability on one another, put others at risk and probably injure staff whilst doing so - and the Governor Fundamentalists will simply take your Mars bars away for a week - suspended for 6 years!

Get my drift............? You know I'm right :slcup:

Breakoff :slnote: :slnote: :slnote: :slnote:

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:29 am

SFGATE -- A recently hired guard at the federal prison in Merced County was fatally stabbed Friday by two inmates wielding homemade weapons, a prison official said Saturday. Jose Rivera, a 22-year-old guard at the U.S. penitentiary in Atwater, near the old Castle Air Force Base, was rushed to Mercy Medical Center in Merced at 3:30 p.m. Friday.

He was declared dead at 4:15 p.m. Rivera, who lived in Chowchilla (Madera County), had been a guard at the prison since Aug. 5. Prison spokesman Jesse Gonzalez said Rivera was assaulted "in a housing unit of the prison by two inmates with homemade weapons." The high-security prison houses more than 1,100 inmates. The FBI is investigating.

Whatever is writtten about assaults on prison officers at least it is not as bad as in America ( touch wood)

LAWMAN
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by LAWMAN » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:30 pm

....meanwhile the staff that just stood by and watched me and four other members of staff take a beating whilst we called for help carried on as normal....

Kentgirl what happened to the officers that shyed away from coming to your aid.
"I AM THE LAW"!!!!!

Breakoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Breakoff » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:41 am

Exactly, will you Shy, Cry - or Try??????????

collibosher
Official Member
Official Member

Post by collibosher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:34 am

LAWMAN wrote:....meanwhile the staff that just stood by and watched me and four other members of staff take a beating whilst we called for help carried on as normal....

Kentgirl what happened to the officers that shyed away from coming to your aid.
i would imagine that they're all on aps now , no back bone so they fit the bill perfectly :slwin:

LAWMAN
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by LAWMAN » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Breakoff wrote:Exactly, will you Shy, Cry - or Try??????????
TRY , TO BLOODY RIGHT I WILL , TOOTH AND NAIL IS THE SAYING .... :slbx: :slbx: :slbx: :slbx:
"I AM THE LAW"!!!!!

Crumbling Victorian Cat B
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Crumbling Victorian Cat B » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 pm

LAWMAN wrote:
TRY , TO BLOODY RIGHT I WILL , TOOTH AND NAIL IS THE SAYING .... :slbx: :slbx: :slbx: :slbx:
Ah,Perfect landing partner ,Your do for me :slda: :slbx: :slbx: :slda:
Ex Officer

LAWMAN
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by LAWMAN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

Crumbling Victorian Cat B wrote:
LAWMAN wrote:
Ah,Perfect landing partner ,Your do for me :slda: :slbx: :slbx: :slda:
Cheers crumbling thought i was going to have someone say something on the lines of "why do feel the need to get physical etc". But how i look at it is if someone is hell bent on doing me or any of my future officers harm i wont make it easy for them, and to make sure they wont be taking liberties at all. After all that, first line of approach would be to talk the situation down obviously. :slbx: :slda: :slbx:
"I AM THE LAW"!!!!!

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:03 pm

Convicts are outnumbering prison officers by a ratio of three-to-one, meaning officers are finding it difficult to keep their cells free of drugs and violence

Prison officers are being outnumbered three to one by convicts as cases of violence and drug abuse in jail increase.

Critics say a shortage of staff is leaving them unable to cope with drug smuggling and vicious attacks inside overcrowded jails.

Today, ministers will publish a report revealing that the use of illegal substances is a significant problem among inmates.

Prison sources say heroin and other Class A drugs are being fired over jail walls inside tennis balls. Because of a lack of staff, inmates are easily able to collect the tennis balls as they exercise.

The increasing number of inmates compared to warders is revealed in figures obtained by the Liberal Democrats. A decade ago there were 2.4 prisoners to each officer, but that figure is now 2.9 - an increase of 20 per cent.

At the same time there has been a sharp increase in violence. Between 1997 and 2007, prisoner-on-prisoner violence rose by 358 per cent and prisoner-on-officer violence by 138 per cent.-Todays Daily Mail.

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Miquay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Taken from the Observer 6th July 2008

Warning over jail unrest as prisoners face menu cutbacks
Ned Temko
The Observer, Sunday July 6, 2008

The government was warned last night that it could face unrest in Britain's overcrowded jails after it emerged that rising food prices were threatening cutbacks in the amount of meat and fresh vegetables on prisoners' menus.
'Given the growing budgetary pressures on the prisons, despite the fact that the prison population is at an all-time high, it is inevitable the prison diet will be cut back,' said Frances Crook, of prison-reform charity the Howard League.
What a great name.
Echoing her warning, Colin Moses, the chairman of the Prison Officers Association (POA), told The Observer: 'Cutting back on dietary necessities is a recipe for further indiscipline for prisons.'
Was he taking the Michael?
Both she and the POA also voiced concerns about another cost-saving change being introduced nationally this week: a new 'core day' schedule for jails that will cut formal activities for prisoners on Friday afternoons. Some individual governors are also reducing the amount of 'association time' with other prisoners outside cells over the weekend.

Moses described the timetable change as 'an ill-thought-out strategy that has been imposed by a management in crisis'. He said it was one of a series of steps forced by a 'squeeze in resources' that risked putting his members in 'more and more dangerous situations'
There is another thread on the core day but this quote directly relates to the topic heading.
same time, same place, can't wait

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic