Total votes: 498

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: assaults on prison officers

Post by falkor » Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am

hi Skev

as I said on another thread - obscene language is not allowed so please bear that in mind :wink:
A lot of staff are assaulted by accident as they have got in the way to break up a fight and receaved the Clump aimed at another prisoner !
hehe reminds me of my schooldays that!! :twisted:

judypatudy
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Blessed'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by judypatudy » Mon May 12, 2008 11:01 am

Seg is good and it really does work..
:s:

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Tue May 13, 2008 7:10 pm

What concerns me and many of my colleagues is the ever increasing frequency of assaults on staff that are taking place in my prison. We have had about 16 or 17 this year which compared to some prisons is nothing but to my prison that is a lot. We recently had a prisoner assault 3 members of staff & about 6 weeks before assaulted 2 others on another wing others. In the old days he would of been shipped out, but he was just moved to another wing!! Most of these assaults do not appear on the weekly operations report !! is this not to worry staff from other prisons about the increasing amount of assaults that are going on!- and the amount of prisoner on prisoner assaults are at the moment 'going through the window'!!!

Self Tapper
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Self Tapper » Tue May 13, 2008 7:31 pm

I saw a report on the operations report this week which cost me a fiver! It concerned an incident at my jail, I had bet a colleague a fiver it wouldnt be there because they never are. I have never seen an assault on staff reported this way but there have been plenty. same with barricades etc. :( Typical.
What peace may grow between the hammer and the anvil? T S Elliot

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BADASSMOFO » Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 am

The entries on the weekly Operations report are, in the main, those incidents that are reported by way of an L.I.R. These are then sifted in some ivory tower and any that are deemed to be fractious are simply F.I.B'd! The ones the service are concerned about usually involve prisoners escaping or dying and reflect badly on the KPT's.

Staff assaults normally are not a major concern for "those on high" as their attitude is very much; "Put up, or shut up"! :evil:
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sat May 17, 2008 4:52 am

I'd agree most staff are assaulted getting involved but I do have to say that whilst many of you press that alarm bell and wait for the staff to arrive....how many of you these days look at the detail and know your backside won't be covered....

I worked in an establishment for over nine years....cut up's were on a daily basis...assaults on staff were not that much different....a few staff were pulled because their names were often on the use of force forms...nothing to do with the staff that always held the gates open or disappeared into the toilets when needed...I was seriously assaulted just doing my job....had to wait 3 months to find out if the 'infected blood' that got into my eyes and mouth had taken hold....meanwhile the staff that just stood by and watched me and four other members of staff take a beating whilst we called for help carried on as normal....one of the other officers resigned not soon after....I have now regraded to an admin post....the others all transferred shortly afterwards...I'm not saying it is a bad job....it's great...I just think that some of the staff that have been recruited in the last 6 years have become yes people that don't like confrontation....you can say yes to a prisoner and ignore the rules to make your life easier....but think about the staff that DO THE PROPER JOB and say NO...they are the staff that get smacked for saying NO....but cons also have a short memory....they manipulate staff and when the red mist sets in they will do whatever to whoever.....

I'm not trying to put people off joining the job....or slating all officers in uniform...I've spouted too much now...had my say...
falkor wrote:hi Skev

as I said on another thread - obscene language is not allowed so please bear that in mind :wink:
A lot of staff are assaulted by accident as they have got in the way to break up a fight and receaved the Clump aimed at another prisoner !

DUCKBILL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DUCKBILL » Sat May 17, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks for that kentgirl, It's something to bear in mind.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age - Groucho Marx
Anyone can get old, all you have to do is live long enough - Groucho Marx

tankbanger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tankbanger » Thu May 22, 2008 6:16 pm

kentgirl wrote:I'd agree most staff are assaulted getting involved but I do have to say that whilst many of you press that alarm bell and wait for the staff to arrive....how many of you these days look at the detail and know your backside won't be covered....

I worked in an establishment for over nine years....cut up's were on a daily basis...assaults on staff were not that much different....a few staff were pulled because their names were often on the use of force forms...nothing to do with the staff that always held the gates open or disappeared into the toilets when needed...I was seriously assaulted just doing my job....had to wait 3 months to find out if the 'infected blood' that got into my eyes and mouth had taken hold....meanwhile the staff that just stood by and watched me and four other members of staff take a beating whilst we called for help carried on as normal....one of the other officers resigned not soon after....I have now regraded to an admin post....the others all transferred shortly afterwards...I'm not saying it is a bad job....it's great...I just think that some of the staff that have been recruited in the last 6 years have become yes people that don't like confrontation....you can say yes to a prisoner and ignore the rules to make your life easier....but think about the staff that DO THE PROPER JOB and say NO...they are the staff that get smacked for saying NO....but cons also have a short memory....they manipulate staff and when the red mist sets in they will do whatever to whoever.....

I'm not trying to put people off joining the job....or slating all officers in uniform...I've spouted too much now...had my say...
falkor wrote:hi Skev

Cant really comment because I am not in the job. I will try though :wink:

One thing which is very clear is that if we all start to say yes.. It will get much worse before it gets better. Prisoners will keep pushing and pushing till something gives. Great post Kent Girl. Honest and inciteful.
kwakajak and Miquay's lovechild

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sun May 25, 2008 2:31 am

Cant really comment because I am not in the job. I will try though :wink:

One thing which is very clear is that if we all start to say yes.. It will get much worse before it gets better. Prisoners will keep pushing and pushing till something gives. Great post Kent Girl. Honest and inciteful.[/quote]

Thanks...I was given two pices of good advice when I joined....if you say no to a prisoner tell them why (as long as it doesn't breach security) and if you tell a prisoner you'll get back to them with an answer then do it....I found it worked well...the cons know where they stand....the difficult bit is all the staff singing fron the same sheet so to speak...

collibosher
Official Member
Official Member

Post by collibosher » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:17 am

some very interesting post there , especially kent girls when she comments about staff being yes people , i have to agree , the prisoners at our place are as volatile as they come so you have to be tactful when dealing with them but the biggest threat at this moment in time is the weak adjudications that are being carried out by wishy washy governors , dismissed , remanded for reporting officer , written off , prisoners are coming back to the wing with a smile on their face because they have got away wiyh it , other cons see this and in my opinion it just gives out the wrong message.there needs to be more discipline in prisons and also the home office should go back to recruiting from the armed forces instead of the university of yes people!

Breakoff
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Priest'
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by Breakoff » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:20 am

Very very well said
The prison spotter and history geek"

judypatudy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by judypatudy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:47 am

Our prisoners are treated like prisoners..
They know who the boss's are..
Maybe whoever runs your prison system
should come see how ours are ran..
You guys use baby gloves and we use boxing gloves.. :lol:

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BADASSMOFO » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm

I don't think brutalising prisoners is the answer to our problems, but we must certainly challenge robustly any negative behaviour.
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:04 pm

a good mate of mine was punched in the face today whilst stopping a nasty fight taking place There was blood( his )everywhere, his white shirt was covered in blood ( his).Due to the professionalism of the officer & his colleagues, the situation was de-escerlated without any force to the to fighting inmates being used. Prisons are dangerous places to work, :!: :s: all new or potential officers plese note .

judypatudy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by judypatudy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:55 pm

BADASSMOFO wrote:I don't think brutalising prisoners is the answer to our problems, but we must certainly challenge robustly any negative behaviour.

You are so wrong !!
We are NOT brutal as you think..
Our officers ARE NOT just there to make sure
the prisoners stay inside!!!
:kn:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic