once a year
35%

Total votes: 498

Gismo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: assaults on prison officers

Post by Gismo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Nor me or would I like to be, is there training is not up to the same standard?? but it should never happened really

Gismo :s:

Under valued
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Under valued » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:37 am

In real terms the prisoner was sat on a chair with a table leg on his lap ! (no immediate threat to anyone behind a locked door).

Why did the officer decide to go in single handed ......Very bad judgment call by that officer im afraid !

Garden Fairy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Garden Fairy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:57 pm

The situation that worries me most is infected needles. Punches or stabbings can generally be recovered from, or be treated fairly well, but needles...Its a waiting game isn't it.

In a male prison, is a female officer more or less likely to be assaulted physically and what about sexually?

Under valued
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Under valued » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Needles are not usually a problem in prison due to them being almost impossible for them to get!

Sharpend plastic knives , razor blades fixed into plastic tooth brushes spitting and biting is the normal threats !

I am a firm believer that you have as much if not more chance of being asaulted on the streets as you have in prison !
If you are assaulted at work within seconds of a bell being pressed there should be lots of Burly uniformed assistance !
If the same happens in the High street you are pretty much on your own as no one will want to get involved and could wait 20 minutes for the police to turn up !

As for sexual assault its very rare but you would look out for yourself by not putting yourself at risk by being somewere alone with someone known as a major risk !

A lot of staff are assaulted by accident as they have got in the way to break up a fight and receaved the Clump aimed at another prisoner !

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:44 pm

A mate of mine has just been medically retired after having his head caved in by a prisoner!

Shackles
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Shackles » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Old sweat, are you Droo in disguise?

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:12 pm

No i'm not! who is droo? I'm new to this forum joined this weekend

Shackles
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Shackles » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:38 pm

have a look at posts by Droo

Hullabaloo2u
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Hullabaloo2u » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:41 pm

In Exeter we are sreiously over crowded at the moment and for the forseeable future, some days we are having up to 90 receptions a day, in the last week we have have had one shit up at least 1 cut up and a string of assaults either on staff or inmate to inmate. Now i now in a local we get more than our fair share of all of these but it is starting to get a little silly to say the least. Drugs are big factor in all of this maybe they should consider making all visits closed and stoppping this at source.

motherhubbard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by motherhubbard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Hullabaloo2u wrote:Drugs are big factor in all of this maybe they should consider making all visits closed and stoppping this at source.
ALL visits...............cos that would really work wouldn't it, drug problem no more....and dont forget, while they at that, they can sack all the officers that take in drugs undetected too......it's not just us lowly visitors you know. :x

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Motherhubbard, you are right ,closed visits will only close down 1 avenue of drug smuggling , but it would be a start. prisons could then concentrate on the other avenues ie post, staff, contractors, official visitors, stuff thrown over the wall, prisoners clothing ( handed in on visits) transfers in from court/other prisons, aramark canteen orders etc. - yes an sack offficers who use illegal drugs- bring on drug testing for ALL prison staff>

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 pm

All they can do is work to cut it down they will never completely get arid of drugs in prisons completely

sharpy2
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by sharpy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:28 am

Under valued wrote: I am a firm believer that you have as much if not more chance of being asaulted on the streets as you have in prison !
:lol: Thats a really odd statement to make. It depends were you live, which streets you walk and which prison you work at :wink:

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:27 pm

true, although if you live in a city you probably have more chance of being assulted

skev

Post by skev » Mon May 12, 2008 2:27 am

post removed
Last edited by skev on Mon May 12, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic