Stix52
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Elder Bard'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: assaults on prison officers

Post by Stix52 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Just thought I would add another response Re: Trusting prisoners. I trusted many prisoners in my service and was only let down once. I learned to understand prisoners well, through the training and guidance of very capable officers. Over the years I witnessed staff being suspended, arrested and sacked for a variety of misdemeanors, not to mention fighting in the prison club between "overtime bandits" prior to "Fresh Start".

There but for the grace of god "old sweat". :slbg:
There is life outside of the Prison Service!

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:34 pm

You NEED to read the subject lower down on this forum- 3x officers stabbed!

unhappyjailer
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by unhappyjailer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Assaulting an officer is a time honoured tradition with cons to get what they want.

How often have you heard someone say that they will assault an officer to get taken to the seg?

Happens a lot in our place but its not because they like the seg its because they percieve that if they end up on a nicking they will see a governor and have a chance to air whatever grievance thay feel is not being dealt with on unit.

Only to be told exactly what they were told on the unit.

Its also a nice way of going VP or OP without actually going on the numbers.

Go down the seg and refuse to relocate when you are due to come out.

Job done!!!!

We accept the possibility of being assaulted by being in the job if you casnt accept it get out, however, that does not mean that actually being assaulted is acceptable.

If you are assaulted at work then the full force of the prison and the law should be brought to bear as if they cant behave whilst in custody then they truly are a danger to the public.
I only go home from work so i can experience the sheer joy of returning......

coolhandluke87
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by coolhandluke87 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 pm

I think that most of the assualts are committed by mentally ill cons who are should be in secure mental hospitals not prisons.

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Yep,thats where my last one came from.your inter personnal skills count for little there.Normally just a big and sometimes painful suprise.Maybe we should make them wear big pionty hats so we know who they are.
Or maybe I should wear one for being on a landing on my own .
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

DUCKBILL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DUCKBILL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:11 am

Or from 15 - 18 yr olds
I must confess, I was born at a very early age - Groucho Marx
Anyone can get old, all you have to do is live long enough - Groucho Marx

ryehiller

Post by ryehiller » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:58 am

Gismo wrote:I know make you think but maybe they have different rules for Private Prisons.

Back up should not have taken that long to arrive?

Gismo :s:

I work in a private prison and the rules are the same should be a three officer team if in PPE

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Wed May 04, 2011 10:41 pm

It is all too common these days for a prisoner to be a three officer unlock on a Seg unit one day and and then be transferred to normal location at another prison the next.We had a prisoner arrive that badly assaulted an an officer at another prison only the week before ,The officer was badly injured and was reported as being a very friendly and approachable officer, everyone was surprised at the attack and its ferocity .
A week later and no transfer to a cat A , they are on about putting him back on the wings like nothing happened. In a cat B local .There is some amazing bravery shown by our desk bound Buddies on our behalf.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

pucklechurch
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pucklechurch » Thu May 05, 2011 10:41 am

Easylife wrote:It is all too common these days for a prisoner to be a three officer unlock on a Seg unit one day and and then be transferred to normal location at another prison the next.We had a prisoner arrive that badly assaulted an an officer at another prison only the week before ,The officer was badly injured and was reported as being a very friendly and approachable officer, everyone was surprised at the attack and its ferocity .
A week later and no transfer to a cat A , they are on about putting him back on the wings like nothing happened. In a cat B local .There is some amazing bravery shown by our desk bound Buddies on our behalf.
This happens alot here the staff cant believe what the SMT are thinking half the time.

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Thu May 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Easylife wrote:It is all too common these days for a prisoner to be a three officer unlock on a Seg unit one day and and then be transferred to normal location at another prison the next.We had a prisoner arrive that badly assaulted an an officer at another prison only the week before ,The officer was badly injured and was reported as being a very friendly and approachable officer, everyone was surprised at the attack and its ferocity .
You use your Seg????

At my place its near impossible to get a con into the seg, even after serious assaults on staff or cons....

Effects the weighted scorecard don't ya know, and manager can't have that can they.........................

Self Tapper
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Self Tapper » Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Yes indeed, it's all about the tickboxes these days folks. Recently at our place a very nasty killer was in seg following yet another incident on O/L only for a gov to remark "we must them back to O/L, it's not good for them to be in seg all the time" :slnuts:
What peace may grow between the hammer and the anvil? T S Elliot

snowdrop
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by snowdrop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 am

Hi folks, just thought Id add to the mix as it were. I was assaulted yesterday at my establishment after asking a prisoner to return to his cell, him becoming loud and abusive, me asking him for his name to IEP him. He still refused in his abusive manner but did return to his cell asked him for his prison ID card, still refused entered the cell to get his ID card and got repeatedly punched for my troubles. Prisoner was a YP in an adult local, why you may ask? Apparently to save costs put YP's into an adult nick to answer charges once the offence is proved move them to a YP establishment in order to cut down on costs. In effect what happens is staff used to the adult estate are drawn towards louder prisoners who are unable to construct any type of sensible sentences or requests or able to cope with imprisonment, these are generally YP's and they totally disrupt the running of a landing and the wing. Luckily for me no broken bones just heavy bruising nice black eye so my cosmetic appearance is a work in progress. I guess I have done well nearly 3 years in the job and my first assault at least I am an officer and not an officer 2, if i was an officer 2 my resignation would have gone in today. Comments welcome.

Jon6456
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by Jon6456 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 am

First of all, I hope you are ok mate ;) Yp's should not be sent to the adult estate, as you have found out they lack cognitive thinking and as a result they lash out all too easily and too often the downside is the lack of discipline you can bestow upon them because they are "only children" too frequently they are given soft sanctions for these offences, leaving officers feeling let down by the system.We all know there should be zero tolerance policy towards staff assaults , however after I was assaulted recently I realized that this is not the case , we work in an environment were we have created our own monster ,the powers above are afraid of upsetting the YJB and have appeased them , jumped through the hoops and rolled over..I cant be an effective discipline officer , I don't have the tools or support to be a discipline officer, I would more than likely be questioned or investigated for disciplining a YP.In essence this is why you will get assaulted by YP's coming through to the adult estate, they know no boundaries , they shout and scream and get what they want.Children huh !?

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 am

Snowdrop, I'm not having a go, but why on earth did you enter the cell? Should've just taken down his location and entered that into NOMIS and you would've found him very easily, or ask other landing staff who he is. Remember, your safety comes first!!! If someone's agitated, put them behind their door and leave them there to cool down for a bit. Going in and looking through their stuff will only exacerbate the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and assaults on staff are very serious matters and they should not be let off lightly. I hope you make a full recovery very soon. :slcu:

We also have some YP's at our establishment due to the rioting and that there was nowhere else to put them. Unfortunately, that's the way it is right now. If the Government weren't closing down establishments, we'd have enough room for all of them, but funny how they don't see it that way..... :slRA2: :slRA2:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:07 am

Just another question, where on earth were your colleagues when all this was happening??!! :slsh2: :slsh2: :slsh2: :slnote: :slnote:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic