contracting an illness from prisoner can i claim????

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

bazcaz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

contracting an illness from prisoner can i claim????

Post by bazcaz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 pm

I caught a illness from a prisoner during as incident can i claim for it?? thoughts experiences
:slty: :slty: :slty: :sley:

If madness is all around and a cool head is needed make sure its yours!!

UKmember
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: contracting an illness from prisoner can i claim????

Post by UKmember » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 am

I would speak to the Govenor of you're establishment, I don't think you can claim at all, there are injections that the prison service offer all prison service staff, Hep B ect.

Steve
Welcome to PrisonOfficer.org.uk
>>> 2008 FAQ PAGE on main site RIGHT HERE - CHECK IT OUT!<<<

Self Tapper
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Self Tapper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm only thinking out loud here, I'm no expert but I would imagine it depends on what the infection is and how it was caught. Also, and probably most significantly, what steps were taken to protect you. Could and should more have been done? Was the incident spontaneous or planned? If planned then appropriate PPE should have been made available and used. This can be a tricky issue as everyone is entitled to medical confidentiality so staff may not be aware in advance of serious medical issues therefore all effort should be made to avoid possible infection. ie wear barrier gloves whenever possible and practical etc. Any compensation claim will be looked at on the basis of responsibility, whose and why. To some degree we as prison staff choose to work in an enviroment with persons carrying serious infections and accept that part of our job is going to bring us into physical contact with them. This means we share responsibility. That said our employer has a duty of care to us and must provide all reasonable protection to minimise our risk.
What peace may grow between the hammer and the anvil? T S Elliot

Dr Doubles
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by Dr Doubles » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:45 pm

bazcaz rather than asking your Governor could I advise you to speak to your POA committe Health and Safety rep.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic