Failed vetting

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Knight94
Rookie Member

Failed vetting

Mon May 18, 2020 9:45 pm

Evening,

So this is a bit of a story here so get comfy.

I resigned from the service in January 2020 due to personal reasons and no compassion being shown by my last establishment. I re applied instantly at a establishment closer to my family and all was going well passed rad or arc what ever it’s called with flying colours ( would have been embarrassing if I did fail. Considering I was a band four with a good few years under my belt). Well anyway the story continues and my predicament will become clear... so I received the letter from hq asking if officers who have recently left can re join to assist in the shortfall due to covid-19. I thought wow I get to rejoin with all my training which goes with a band four and advanced c and r, let me apply and raise my interest in re joining permanently which if you have been following my story closely you will see that’s what the plan was anyway, your thinking silver lining right after the lack of compassion shown in a transfer request.

Well today 5 months after leaving the service both applications were rejected without any solid or clear grounds. One application the fresh start one says I have failed due to unsatisfactory pre employment checks. Doesn’t say what was unsatisfactory and had no correspondence asking for more information or clarifcation.

20 minutes later my return to work application was also rejected with a fairly similar blank message with no explanation either.

Now it’s question time

Due to the lack of information on how to appeal how do I go about this.

I have also read that people in a similar situations have been asked to email the no.1 gov at the establishments they have applied to asking for discretion and vetting to be re evaluated.

I need advice people and anything will be helpfull

Many thanks

Knight

struthy

Re: Failed vetting

Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 am

Hi this has just happened to me with the same message. The email came through at exactly 18:00 when they close. I will be ringing them today to try and find out what’s going on and will be following what happens to you. I wish you all the luck.

londonlad81
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 am

This doesn’t make sense, you resigned and then re applied to another prison and it was rejected?
We’re you offered a conditional offer?

struthy

Tue May 19, 2020 10:09 am

Hello.
I have been informed to contact SSCl and they will give a reason and how to appeal. I have also written to HR at my old prison.

Struthy

TMH90
Official Member
Official Member

Tue May 19, 2020 1:32 pm

I’d be contacting SSCL for clarification. Surely they will be able to disclose any issues that have arisen and what the appeals process is.

Knight94
Rookie Member

Tue May 19, 2020 3:45 pm

So today I received a reply about my email stating they can’t discuss vetting outcomes over any other form of correspondence then by post so I have spent the day composing and sending a letter 3 pages long to express my disappointment in the outcome . I also put explanations to what I possibly. Like think affected the vetting so I will keep this topic updated regularly to hopefully assist anyone else who has come to the same wall with no exit.

I am still keeping an eye out for any further suggestions and the thank you for the response so far guys

Knight

Knight94
Rookie Member

Tue May 19, 2020 4:33 pm

struthy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 am
Hi this has just happened to me with the same message. The email came through at exactly 18:00 when they close. I will be ringing them today to try and find out what’s going on and will be following what happens to you. I wish you all the luck.
Let me know how the phone call went but I e pact the answer u will get is send a letter :x

The best of luck to you aswell and hopefully it was a mistake made by sscl

JCOX4
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Knight94 wrote:
So today I received a reply about my email stating they can’t discuss vetting outcomes over any other form of correspondence then by post so I have spent the day composing and sending a letter 3 pages long to express my disappointment in the outcome . I also put explanations to what I possibly. Like think affected the vetting so I will keep this topic updated regularly to hopefully assist anyone else who has come to the same wall with no exit.

I am still keeping an eye out for any further suggestions and the thank you for the response so far guys

Knight
Hi Knight,

Sorry to hear the situation you are going through. I went through a right old time with my vetting, mine failed and I had to appeal. First I sent a letter requesting the reason why I failed, and then once I received that I then went on to write my letter of appeal.
It was a long process but it worked in the end.
Have you sent your 3 page letter yet? It may be worth holding fire on that until you find the exact reason why you failed.
Best of luck!
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12/19
A&C decision 24/12/19
Failed vetting 30/12/19
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01/20
Decision overturned 25/02/20
Offer and vetting 17/03/20
Vetting passed 21/03/20
Covid-19 saga
Start 27/07/20

Knight94
Rookie Member

Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 pm

JCOX4 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Knight94 wrote:

Knight
Hi Knight,

Sorry to hear the situation you are going through. I went through a right old time with my vetting, mine failed and I had to appeal. First I sent a letter requesting the reason why I failed, and then once I received that I then went on to write my letter of appeal.
It was a long process but it worked in the end.
Have you sent your 3 page letter yet? It may be worth holding fire on that until you find the exact reason why you failed.
Best of luck!
J

Hi j

I sent the letter earlier so that’s all ready on it’s way no turning back from it. It’s good to see the appeal process does work.

How long after you sent the letter requesting the reasons did you receive the response?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic