Is the forum really that frowned upon when training begins ?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
PAW16
Official Member
Official Member

Is the forum really that frowned upon when training begins ?

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Is the forum really that frowned upon when training begins ? It's been so helpful, surely sensible usage should be encouraged ?

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Re: travel expenses

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Yes, it really is that frowned upon. :slda:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

PAW16
Official Member
Official Member

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Do you know exactly why ? I get the whole security issue associated with it but what else? Is it wise to delete my account before Monday ?!

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:43 pm

I wouldn't say to delete your account, but just make sure there's nothing you've said on here that can identify you and just don't mention anything about being on here whilst at training or even on the job.

The best advice is just to keep your mouth shut about the site when in a HMP environment :slsh:

Apparently, they really go to town at the start of training about "social media" and security these days, so you'll soon see for yourself what they're like about it all :slwh:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

PAW16
Official Member
Official Member

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Ok thank you very much for the advice ! Any other advice would be much appreciated :slhehe:

MickGecko
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Wow! I was not expecting that, if anything I would have thought the site would be encouraged providing people were discreet about themselves and the service. I actually brought up the forum on my interview saying how helpful it was, and tbh, I don't think I would have been as comfortable and successful without it. Ah well, probably me just being naieve as I'm at such an early stage of the process...
Last edited by MickGecko on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I carve Star Wars figurines out of stone. But its also not for tunneling my way out of here

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

This is not an official HMP approved or endorsed site. Each serving member of staff posting on here is potentially at risk of being reprimanded (even losing their job, if what they post is a serious enough breach of security/official secrets act!) by HMP management.

So, please be very careful about saying anything about this site. Regardless of whether the information you have found on here very useful or not. All information on the Prison Service should come from an officially approved source, as far as they're concerned - Not an unofficial Internet forum where any old rubbish could be broadcast! Plus, there's lots of things that they don't want the general public to see/hear about what really goes on behind those 20ft walls :slno:

Start your first day as if you know absolutely nothing about HMP whatsoever.... :slsh:

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Re: Is the forum really that frowned upon when training begins ?

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Everything Purplepig said...and don't take any photos on site, post anything on Facebook etc, they do check!

Also, NEVER take your mobile phone into class, they can, will & have confiscated phones and sent them for 'analysis' ; would you be happy for everything on your mobile (including deleted stuff) to be examined? Don't risk it!

The Highway Man
Official Member
Official Member

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:11 am

It exactly the same in the Highways Agency, national traffic is frowned upon. ;)
I limped the Great North Run in aid of the RNLI. You can still sponsor me at https://www.justgiving.com/ScouseTom1

Chris2382
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am

Taking into account the nature of the role as well, you also have to remember that some people may assume that you've been here and gained "insider info" regarding the selection process. Many users on the forum ask for details of the POELT sessions, what the simulations will be, what to say and do to the actors and how to get through them, plus additional info about the numeracy and literacy tests questions at the RAD etc, which 99% of the users here are happy to help with but won't go into specifics because of the reasons listed in the other comments above. Others may see it as basically little like copying in an exam and to non members, you may appear to know pretty much what to do, say, etc but in their opinion haven't actually used your own skills and abilities to prove your TRUE suitability whether that's the case or not.

Because of that I can understand why there may be issues with mentioning you use the forum, because other non-members/trainers/colleagues may presume that you're not as capable because you've had outside help from serving officers and in this job the last thing anyone wants is to be backed up by someone that others presume doesn't know what they're doing because in their colleagues minds, they got their answers and shortcuts from a forum and not from being switched on and possessing the right skills. so be careful when talking about it in case people put you in that category, even though your journey has been on merit :slcup: :slcl:
If there's always biscuits in the biscuit tin, then where's the fun in biscuits? :slwott:

Colinp118
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:06 pm

So contract has arrived via email. Who knew prison officers are paid so bad.£20.000 pa starting salary and that's Inc unsocial!!. So it says starting does that mean there is a pay scale which you work your way up? Only I was under the impression pay rises were frozen or am I off the mark here. Really hope there is more money to be had looks like I could be taking a pay cut to do my dream job.

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 am

There is a pay scale. Surprised anyone applies for a job without knowing the salary.

Colinp118
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:38 am

Obviously I checked, it stated online that starting was around 20,700. Then I thought with unsocial pay and the option for additional hours would bump it up a bit more. But clearly the 20,700 is inclusive of all the above.

9851colle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:52 am

To be honest if your just thinking about money, i would have a long hard think before you return your contract is this the job for me. The job is what it is, yes you will get additional hours doing PP but what if the PP ever dries up or the POA have another PP Ban.
NEC ASPERA TERRANT

Thepower
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Don't rely on PP if you need it to make a wage!it burns ALOT of people out!

Also it's one of the biggest reliance for management to ensure the prison runs! If there was no PP they'd have to use staff out the jail which they don't have! They'd have to be locked up for longer imagine doing that to all the lovely convicts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic