The Whole Process Detailed

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Re: The Whole Process Detailed

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Mikejohno1 wrote:Looks like I'll be starting my POELT on the 10th, my email says 'As you know there are several security vetting and pre-employment checks that we need to complete, but subject to successful completion of these we agreed (considering your notice period) a start date for you at ********** on 3 November 2014. As discussed you will complete one week induction in the prison and then a further 6 weeks on your POELT (Prison Officer Entry Level Training) which will therefore start on (day and date) at (Training venue).' The thing is, if I was to do 1 week at my establishment, 3 weeks training, 1 week then 3 again, the last week of training would be Christmas week, unless I will be doing 1 week at establishment then a full 6 weeks training?!? Guess I'll have to wait for my checks to come back for proper confirmation

Your 6 week training will be in one hit, not split in the middle. It used to like that many years ago, but it's just 6 solid weeks now.

Good luck.....! :slda:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:35 pm

However, your 'final training week' at your establishment where you'd be 'shadowing' another officer etc would be Christmas week.

AndyFB86
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for all the info, I'm sure all candidates will find this very helpful, I certainly have! I'm due to take my RAD at Newbold on Wednesday this week. Was a little apprehensive but reading as much about it as I can, and your part has really helped give an insight to the day.

How many people were on your RAD? I think the role plays will be the most challenging part, however as you say if you ' be yourself ' and think about what your doing /saying hopefully I'll be fine.

hopeful

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 am

Hi
Your post made fantastic reading very informative thanks,ive just applied online for a job which is advertised,do you know if initially accepted how long it takes to send email of online test,am i right in thinking not until after the closing date ?

thanks in advance :slbg:

mcflurry1011
Rookie Member

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:52 pm

What a great post that was really helpful.

I have just done my RAD last Friday so checking my emails every hour for the results!! I was quiet confident with the role plays however I did say calm down quiet a bit which has got me worrying but always in a nice way. All my 5 we're also prison based scernarios like you said.

I have a couple of extra questions if your able to answer them with the process.

1. I am from Lancashire and I know it says the training centre is at Newbold but do you know if there are any training centres in Lancashire or Manchester/Liverpool? That way I could commute rather than staying down south which is 4hr drive and I have children which isn't ideal being away.

2. Are you finding any paid overtime? I am currently a police officer so it will be a pay drop on the starting pay. I currently do 40hrs a week and I have read you can do up to 41hrs a week, have you been given that option? How much do you come out with 'net'? It would be a great help so I have an idea what to expect. As in the police you get hammered on pension contribution. If you don't want to post that on here please could you private message me?

3. Are you allowed your mobile phone when at work or is there a total ban?

It would be really appreciated and good luck in your career.

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:49 pm

1.Newbold is the main training college but training does occur elsewhere BUT my understanding is that it's always residential.

2. In the advert you originally responded to it should have listed rates of pay, I'm in a London area so have weighting added so can't really comment on your rate or take home but if you find your rate you can use http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk which I used. Your contract will say 37 hours, your establishment (prison) will have the discussion about upto 41 hours; my contract said extra hours would be dealt with by time off in lieu.

3. Mobile phones are a complete no no.

Good luck with the results, may I ask, why are you going from the police to prisons?

Asahi
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 pm

I have one more question if someone can help
I did email also to the HR but not answer yet and I have my RAD early next week

I received all the forms to be filled online but I have a couple of problems on the Vetting Questionnaire:

On the occupation history section, on the occupation 1 I can't complete any line because every time I try to type something appear the scroll down menu with a list of Armed Forced and doesn't let me to overwrite nothing.

On the entitlement to work section when I type the issue date of documents 2 and 3 the system say must be less than 3 months old even if one of those documents is from September this year.

I filled up the rest without any problem, so shall I hand writing the above missing parts?

mcflurry1011
Rookie Member

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Police isn't the job it was when i joined so many bad changes with small teams stretched to their limits working late each shift etc, many stations closed meaning 1hr commute just to book a prisoner into custody then 1hr back to station before you can start the paperwork which takes 2/3hrs to complete.

When you say mobile phones are a no no.. Do you mean you can't bring them to work at all or you have to keep them in the office? I gather you can't have them on your person.

Thanks for the salarycalculator link its been very helpful :-)

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:35 am

Asahi - see my answer here http://www.prisonofficer.org.uk/viewtop ... 470#p86470

McFlurry - The police sounds a nightmare....a friend of mine on the job has crazy shift patterns but at least is out of a large station. I 'believe' (don't forget I'm about to start training so this is what I've read/been told by others) that your mobile is in staff locker area OR main gate area (dependant on prison) but well away from any area any prisoner has access to.

Glad the salary calc useful.

Asahi
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:43 pm

How long should last the RAD?

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm

12 months I believe.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Ok, seems like there's some confusion on this, so I'll set it straight for once and for all:

MOBILE PHONES ARE NOT ALLOWED INSIDE A PRISON.

EVER.

IF YOU DO BRING ONE IN, YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW AND COULD FACE IMPRISONMENT AND TERMINATION OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT.

DO NOT BRING YOUR MOBILE INTO WORK!!!

Leave your phone in your car/locker. You are allowed to check it at lunchtime, but only when you exit the prison walls. This is extremely important.

Capiche?!
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

DBS Update - You'll only need the DBS / CRB check if you're going to work in a YOI or female prison with mother & baby unit, if you're adult only prison then there's no need, but you'll still have had to fill one in for the RAD.

Anyway, here's just a bit of info: I had applied for an enhanced DBS/CRB check back at the end of July with another potential employer and I finally (over 11 weeks later) got the certificate today...hurray, nothing bad known about me (completely useless bit of paper as I don't need it anymore as going to an adult prison) and then I noticed that my address on the certificate was slightly wrong, fortunately my postman delivered it to the right person!

Anyway, I rang the DBS (30 minutes of hold on 0870 probably cost me a few quid) and they confirmed that checks etc all done on me and my correct address but error in printing of certificate, will send me a new one in 3-4 weeks! Bloody good job I don't need it now.

I hope anyone that does need it gets theirs faster!

Meds
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Capiche... Thank you for clearing that up PP.

AndyFB86
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Evening all,

Received an email from NOMS today advising me that I passed my RAD last week :D really over the moon! Awaiting to hear now from the 3 prisons I have applied for. Good luck to all those who are going through the same process!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic