Common Questions (Application - Going Live) 2014

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Wizza
Committee Member
Committee Member
S Class: Systems

Common Questions (Application - Going Live) 2014

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:03 am

Please see below the most common questions asked. This will be updated as and when required.

How To Apply:

All available Prison Officer jobs as well as other NOMS related positions are now available on the Justice website. You can access this website by following this link: https://www21.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_hmps03.asp?newms=se

Financial Issues?

Ensure you include any details on your application. Bankruptcy is not accepted but IVA's and other financial plans are considered on a individual basis.

Recruit Assessment Day (RAD):

The RAD consists of a medical, fitness test, English and maths exam and role plays.

The medical tests your eye sight, height and weight and general fitness to ensure you can take the fitness test as well as meet guidelines to join. It is best to be honest and if you have asthma or any other issues make the nurse aware.

The fitness test consists of a grip test, a push and pull test, a bleep test, a short obstacle course and a riot shield test. It is fairly simple to the average person but if you are seriously unfit then the bleep test will be your biggest worry.

The English and maths test are fairly simple as you are allowed to use a calculator during your maths test.

The role plays are designed to see how you cope with certain circumstances - whether you give in to pressure or how you manage to come to a reasonable solution. When going in to a role play always remember there IS an outcome and you need to ask the right questions to get the right information. Best advice is to be yourself and act as you would in any every day situation.

Once you have completed all sections you will be given your results by email between a week and up to eight weeks later. ENSURE you check your spam box on a regular occasion as it is quite possible that your results will end up there and you won't realise it.

After a few weeks without any results it is best to contact Shared Services.

After a successful result it can take many weeks / months to allocate you a Prison and arrange for your training but keep pestering Shared Services every couple of weeks.

Newbold:

You will spend roughly 6 weeks at your training establishment which includes both classroom and physical activities.

The classroom based activities will involve scenarios you will be involved in, what you should and shouldn't do, how to communicate effectively as well as learning the principles of being in the Prison Service.

All classroom resources such as pencils, pens, paper and folders are provided.

The physical activities are based in a dojo. This will involve learning control and restraint techniques (C&R) whilst also allowing you to practise these skills in real life scenarios.

You will be required to bring your gym kit and trainers for this. Perfect gym wear would be baggy tracksuit trousers and top as you will be rolling around on the floor. You are also provided with a jump suit for the duration of your stay to be worn during C&R.

There are two living quarters on site (Newbold). You will start in the wooden cabins which consists of around 50 rooms on ground floor and first floor. Each room has a bed, TV, cabinets, toilet and shower. Other amenities such as hair dryers are normally included. In each living quarter there is a washing room where you can wash and iron your clothes.

The second living quarter is a new apartment block which consists of many rooms over various floors. The rooms are a lot more spacious and include the same equipment as the cabin. You go in to these living quarters half way through your course.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided free of charge in the canteen which is situated closely to the on site bar.

The bar is relatively cheap but it is not wise to have too many as it is told that if a trainer smells alcohol on you they will send you back to your establishment which means you are unfit for duty and therefore kicked out.

Whilst at Newbold or other establishments you will need to study for your end of course test. The test is quite easy as long as you prepare yourself for it. If you fail your test you have one retake and after that you are out. It is best to get together each night for a quick question and answer session. As well as that taking and using flash cards will definitely help.

After training:

After you have finished your training you will go back to your establishment where you will complete at least one week with a mentor who will 'show you the ropes'. You will mirror your mentor's shifts and duties. After this period you will be live with keys and a nice shiny baton (quite often an old one really) and be taking on duties on your own.

You are required to complete your NVQ Level 3 in Custodial Care within one year of going live at your establishment. Failure to do so may result in your termination but I have yet to see anyone who has done this so far. It is fairly simple as you will be given a tutor who will watch you undertake certain duties in the prison and mark you on those sections. You will also need to create and send a log of what you have been doing including any SIR's you may have submitted (Security Incident Reports).

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Common Questions (Application - Going Live) 2014

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Wizza this igrasp.com link has been the genuine article for quite a few years now - it has been the way to go to find Vacancies and all sorts HMP wise but igrasp.com ? who'd have thought that would be an official HMP source site? anyway thanks for the above - great Stickie for all our new members in 2014 :slby:

Wizza
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:11 am

I know, it can be quite odd when following it from a search engine - you'd expect it to be justice.gov.uk now.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:41 am

I just remembered Image another member was planning on doing a "Master" thread like this by merging a lot of his most important posts, "anewstart" please add those to this thread if you wish :slwin:

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:42 am

Nice post Wizza, I'm in the process of amalgamating my posts (and editing) (and linking to posts I've found useful) to make a similar post so please don't take offence when mine appears next week :-) great minds think alike I guess!

Wizza
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:44 am

No the more information the better, if it stops people having to ask the same questions over and over then it's worked a treat :)

F1R3BLADE
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Great work guys, i'm attempting my RAD for the 2nd time in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed this time.. I've asked a few people via PM for advice on the roles plays as that's where I fell down last time...
There's a fine line between hyphenated words

Wizza
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:48 pm

With Role Plays you have to remember that there is one underlying issue you need to find a resolution to, but to get to that issue you need to ask the right questions to get the information you need. I've PM'd you.

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 pm

With the role plays whilst I agree with what Wizza said I'd add that keeping calm, asking open questions and ensuring you use non-threatening body language & gestures are things they really want to see. Good luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic