First time in a prison

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
MCPO
Registered Member
Registered Member

First time in a prison

Post by MCPO » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

A while back i bumped into a freind who works for the prison service. This person who we will call "A" for reasons you can all probably understand asked if i wanted to go on a visit of the prison that A works at. As a desperate and eager candidate waiting for my start date i jumped at the chance. The following is a short Diary of what it was like for a non prison officer to enter a prison for the first time.

Was at the main gate at lunchtime and went through security. Met up with "A" and we started the tour. We went round to the Front gate entrance "A" got a radio and we went outside towards the first prison block. bumped into the deputy govenor and he relaxed me with talk of how safe the prison is and how he has enjoyed his 20+ years in the service. More relaxed now we headed off to A wing and i was shown how the gates worked and about "prooving your lock".

We went on to the cells and A showed me how the Anti barracade doors work in the cells to stop an inmate from denying you access to their cell. Met a few Prison offciers who were on the landings supervising lunch(Which was eaten in the cell). We moved on to the other Wings B,C,D etc and i was shown how response works when your in trouble. Met some other prison officers who were incredibly friendly and gave lots of advice on what to expect when i start. All the officers seem to be telling me the same things" BE YOURSELF, DONT GET TOO FREINDLY, DONT DO ANYTHING TO ENDANGER YOUR TEAM" these points seemed to be the standard for the good Prison Officer's and it re-confirmed that i made the right choice about applying to be a prison officer.

I spent the rest of my time going around to healthcare, Gym, Seg, Reception and spent some time in the induction wing for the new inmates. During my visit i had a real sense that the prison officers were a real team and would if the need came do what ever it took to ensure order is kept and their collegues are safe, for a first timmer like me that was very comforting to see

The visit ended up in the Command suite and then to the Control Room. The people in control seemed very locked on and focused, With a vast array of monitors all around the room they had full view of most parts of the prison and i am sure that in times of emergency theese people are vital to the safety of the prison and its staff.

On the whole i found the Prison Officer's to be freindly, Profesional and dedicated. Their will of course be some exceptions to this rule but i met none and hope i dont in my career.

Thanks for reading my small diary. I know this is not an account from a prison officer but i hope it will excite and give some hope to thoose of us who are waiting for a start date. Good luck to everybody who has applied and i hope we all here from Shared service and HMPS soon...

the_riddler
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Priest'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: First time in a prison

Post by the_riddler » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:05 am

Thats great, i wish i could have this type of insight.

MCPO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MCPO » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I was very lucky to get this chance. Hope my short diary helps thoose in some way who have never been to a prison..

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:57 am

Commented on this just to get it back on the front page of the forum. I found it a great read and think others will too. Also immensely jealous I didn’t get the same opportunity. I expect it’s a fantastic experience.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic