HM PRISON SERVICE - Selection Process

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
UKmember
Committee Member
Committee Member

HM PRISON SERVICE - Selection Process

Post by UKmember » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:34 am

The selection process

Application
In order to apply for an advertised Prison Officer vacancy, you will be required to complete an application form. In addition you may also be asked to complete a Prison Officer Skills Assessment Form.

Within the Skills Assessment Form you will be given a number of scenarios and asked to describe how you have acted in similar situations. You will be asked to provide details of each situation, how you helped the situation and why you took the approach that you did to help. You will be able to draw your examples not just from the workplace, but any area of your life to include voluntary work or hobbies.

Upon completion, your form(s) should be sent to the relevant recruitment contact that will be provided within the recruitment literature.

Receipt of applications
Upon receipt, all applications will be acknowledged and forwarded on to the sift stage of the application process.

Sift stage
A sift will normally be performed within 1 week of the closing date for application. The sift panel will consist of at least two panel members and involve a structured sifting method, whereby your application will be checked to ensure that you meet the minimum eligibility requirements.

If you have been asked to complete a Skills Assessment Form, the sift panel will also evaluate the information provided at this stage. Applicants who meet the requirements will then be invited to complete the Prison Officer Selection Test.

Prison Officer Selection Test (POST)
The POST consists of numerical and language tests, comprising of a number of work sample exercises. You will not require any prior knowledge of prison work in order to undertake the self-assessment test.

If successful at the POST stage you will be invited to attend the Job Simulation Assessment Centre (JSAC) for the next stage of the selection process. If you are unsuccessful at this stage of the process you will be notified accordingly and given the opportunity to request feedback. You will also be able to re-apply for the test after 6 months.

Job Simulation Assessment Centre (JSAC)
The JSAC is designed to measure interpersonal skills that are required in order to be effective in the prison officer role. The assessment will consist of 4 role-play simulations, each lasting a maximum of 10 minutes. The role-play simulations are all non-prison based, however they are similar to situations that prison officers would be expected to deal with.

Should you be successful at the JSAC stage, you will be invited to attend a medical and fitness test, which is the final stage of the selection process. Should you not be successful at the JSAC, you will be notified and given the opportunity to request feedback. You will be eligible to re-apply for an advertised vacancy after a period of 6 months.

Medical and fitness test

Medical
Prison Officers need to be reasonably physically fit. In addition, they need to meet a minimum eyesight standard and have a standard of health such that neither their safety nor prisoner's safety is compromised. Before being eligible to be appointed, you will need to pass a job related fitness test administered by our Fitness Assessors.

However, before taking the fitness test, you will first need to be assessed as physically 'fit to take the fitness test'. This assessment is a health assessment that will be undertaken by a registered general nurse (RGN) working to a formal clinical protocol. The purpose of the health assessment is three-fold. It is to:

Assess that you are physically fit to take the test on that day
Carry out an eyesight test
Identify conditions, which might impact you your fitness for work.
It is expected that the vast majority of applicants will be fit to undertake the fitness test on the day of their health assessment. However, if there are any doubts about your health at this stage, you will not be able to continue with the fitness test on that day but may be able to continue at a later date once we have sought medical advice.

Fitness
The fitness test consists of five test components:

Grip strength test
Multi stage fitness test
Dynamic strength test
Speed agility run test
Shield test

:arrow: Click here for further information on how you can prepare yourself to pass these tests with ease.

Appointment stage
Candidates who successfully pass both the JSAC process and the medical and fitness test will then be offered an appointment subject to satisfactory completion of pre-appointment checks into health, identity, nationality and character, including a criminal record check, before any appointment can be confirmed. On average these checks will take between 4 to 6 weeks to complete.

Upon completion you will be formally offered an appointment and a start date will be confirmed. If you are not offered a appointment immediately, you may be placed on a reserve list and notified accordingly. A reserve list is retained for a period of 12 months to cover future vacancies that may arise.

Related Documents

Prison Officer Eligibility Information (45 KB)

Shackles
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Shackles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Interesting thanks

Burnlee
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: HM PRISON SERVICE - Selection Process

Post by Burnlee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:33 pm

And don't forget that your JSAC/RAD results are valid for 18 months, during which point you may be offered a vacancy. If unsuccessful during this time then you are required to complete the JSAC/RAD again.

addyb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by addyb » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Burnlee wrote:And don't forget that your JSAC/RAD results are valid for 18 months, during which point you may be offered a vacancy. If unsuccessful during this time then you are required to complete the JSAC/RAD again.
At my RAD i got told it lasted for 2 years?

Doesnt really matter anyway but i hope to god that i get a position within 18 mths!

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 am

Currently there is no skills assessment required.

LAWMAN
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by LAWMAN » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:35 pm

addyb wrote:
Burnlee wrote:And don't forget that your JSAC/RAD results are valid for 18 months, during which point you may be offered a vacancy. If unsuccessful during this time then you are required to complete the JSAC/RAD again.
At my RAD i got told it lasted for 2 years?

Doesnt really matter anyway but i hope to god that i get a position within 18 mths!
I feel better for hearing that thanks folks :D
"I AM THE LAW"!!!!!

Bastardo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Bastardo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:19 am

I have been advised that there is currently a minimum 12 week wait for completion of the vetting process...

oldbuthopeful
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by oldbuthopeful » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:24 am

I was told yesterday between 14 and 16 weeks for vetting.

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Miquay » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

Please correct me somebody if I am wrong or inaccurate in my, possibly ill-informed, understanding of the process following completion, and the passing, of the fitness test:

:slyw: As well as the minimum 12 week vetting process (which may be a local calculation) there is a 'final stage' where you can still fail in your application.
:sloo: If you pass this final stage then a vacancy needs to exist in the establishment
:slbli: Then it needs to be married up with the training programme
:slbg: Then and only then is an offer given with a start date

Do any of these overlap eg vetting and final stage? Or does the final stage incorporate all of the above under that umbrella term?

I have searched for the answers to these on this forum but apologise if it has been clarified and I have missed it.

Cheers for any assistance.
:slstars:
same time, same place, can't wait

BMW
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Cleric'
Alignment: 'Derro'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by BMW » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:30 pm

I phoned today to see how my application was going, i took my RAD in March told i ha been alicated a space in May and my fitness test this month all told this has been 15 weeks i was told i was on my final stage and because of large volumme of applicants just be patient and wait for the phone call.is any one on the same time scale? :slex:

lonnie31
Official Member
Official Member

Post by lonnie31 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:24 pm

BMW wrote:I phoned today to see how my application was going, i took my RAD in March told i ha been alicated a space in May and my fitness test this month all told this has been 15 weeks i was told i was on my final stage and because of large volumme of applicants just be patient and wait for the phone call.is any one on the same time scale? :slex:
I am on roughly the same timescale as you but my RAD was in April. I am also at the final stage, vetting is complete so just waiting for a decision. Hopefully not to long to go now!!!!

danielbarlow

Post by danielbarlow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:30 pm

hi everyone
passed my jsac last week so im just waitin to be invited for the fitness test! can anyone tell em the sort of wait between the JSAC and the fitness test?
Thanks

joshij
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by joshij » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 pm

You'll get an email for your fitness test......its very random mate
~~~ Patience is the Essence of Life ~~~ (Note: ignore rule when facing Shared Services)

oldbuthopeful
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by oldbuthopeful » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:14 am

Do you get a phone call telling you that your vetting is complete and you are in the Final Stage, or is something you get told when you chase them??

Scooby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Scooby » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:54 pm

oldbuthopeful wrote:Do you get a phone call telling you that your vetting is complete and you are in the Final Stage, or is something you get told when you chase them??
Vetting told me I was at final stage when they used to answer the phone - but then my Area recruitment told me the information i was given was incorrect. So Who Knows :slty:
'I have never met anyone who has given me as much trouble as myself'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic