required eyesight criteria

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic

required eyesight criteria

Post by Guest »

On a loosely related subject, please can anyone confirm the required eyesight criteria? I think I saw somewhere it was 6/36 unaided vision, is that correct? If so, I’m in trouble as I only have 6/48 unaided vision (which is worse!) 😟

PolaR
Official Member
Official Member

Re: required eyesight criteria

Post by PolaR »

You’ll need to meet a minimum standard in both eyes of not less than 6/36 in each eye on the Snellen scale (uncorrected) and not less than 6/12 in the best eye (corrected with glasses/contact lenses if necessary). Not sure how it reflects on reading lines, but apparently these are the requirements!

Post by Guest »

Many thanks Polar 👍. I had better call sscl to ask for their opinion/let them know, as it’s likely I’ll fail at this hurdle - and I’m mid way through the vetting.

beanstown

Post by beanstown »

if you're midway through vetting then haven't you already passed the eyesight test on the assessment day? unless you did a VARC I guess

at the eyesight test you walked past the eye chart before sitting down for the BP test :slwin:

Post by Guest »

Yes, I did the varc beantown - so my fitness/medical is booked in for June. OH forms I completed didn’t ask any Q’s regarding eyesight either, so guess I’ll just look forward to the test on the day and see how it goes 🤞🤔 Realise the necessity of half decent unaided vision, in case my glasses are knocked off in an altercation, just a shame as I’m not completely blind as a bat 😏😂

MissNoName 
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by MissNoName  »

I'm sure I have seen somewhere that they test your eyesight every year during your medical too, but don't quote me on that!
So if that's the case you also should think how quickly your eyesight is deteriorating because what happens when say 3 years down the line you no longer meet their eyesight standards?
I would really like to know because my eyes are not great and are getting worse
Applied - 06/12/20
Passed online tests - 23/12/20
VARC - 19/02/21
Passed VARC - 22/02/21
Conditional offer - 21/03/21
Vetting started - 01/04/21
Fitness and Medical Passed - 07/04/21

Carbon 
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Carbon  »

There is no annual medical once you're in the job.

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tia  »

That's confusing. I was told at my medical.last week that the fitness test is taken every year. 🤔

Carbon 
Counsellor
Counsellor
Examiner: XIII

Post by Carbon  »

Yes, the fitness test which is a bleep test, grip test, shield hold and shuttle run. No eye test.

MissNoName 
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by MissNoName  »

Thanks Carbon !
I was led to believe you had a medical to do every year too.
Applied - 06/12/20
Passed online tests - 23/12/20
VARC - 19/02/21
Passed VARC - 22/02/21
Conditional offer - 21/03/21
Vetting started - 01/04/21
Fitness and Medical Passed - 07/04/21

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the feedback all... duly noted 👍 I’m considering laser surgery (although it only lasts 5-10 years I’ve heard) - my left eye is weaker than my right.

Previous topicNext topic