Induction - Disappointed

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
Meh

Induction - Disappointed

Post by Meh »

Has anyone been disappointed with their induction at their establishment? I have recently finished mine and it has been awful to say the least.

The first day consisted of a tour of the establishment and several talks throughout the day. The welcome itself wasn't as I was hoping. A lot of the staff seem to have a "can't be arsed" attitude, especially with newbies. The tour and the talks were all rushed through, sometimes not even explained properly, yet we were expected to remember absolutely everything. One talk we had, myself and other POELTS just sat there not having a clue what the meeting was about. Some talks gave out handouts for us to refer back to and some did not.

We then got assigned to our wings. No one knew I was coming and I was uncomfortable from the get go. I have never met such rude people in my whole life. I was just told to sit in the corner straight away, no one really made an effort to talk to me. I tried to get stuck in and involved at all opportunities because I wanted to help with as much as possible but I was told I won't remember anything and there's no point in anyone showing me what to do as it's a "waste of time". All of the officers have this very tight relationship, which is fine and expected as it is like a little family, but it is impossible to have a normal conversation with anyone because you are just excluded. The attitude I've received from the staff is unbelievable, the prisoners actually treat and talk to me better than they do. I am finding everyone to be slightly fake, when one on one with me Officers are civil/nice to me and have a chat etc, when in a larger group they act like they don't like me and treat me as a nuisance. When I see them outside from the wing, they are also rude and pretend they don't know me. It costs nothing to be kind? Everyone was a newbie at some point of their career. It blows my mind how people can be so unkind and unwelcoming, because I am personally far from this. I understand my role is to be shadowing/observing so I am going to feel like a spare part a lot of the time but there is no need for rudeness. Officers are constantly bashing the job which in turn puts me off. To top it off, an Officer thought it was okay to comment on the colour of my skin (I won't go into too much detail about it on here but it was 100% unacceptable - and no I'm not being a snowflake).

Don't get me wrong, I have met some absolutely lovely people throughout the establishment but on my wing, it is bizarre. This experience has been far from what I expected it to be. I have been so excited for a long time to start this job, and now I am contemplating not doing it. I know I shouldn't decide so soon but this is what my gut instinct is telling me at the moment. I think I will be good at the job but the only thing putting me off is the staff. I hoping it gets better once I'm back at the prison properly, but who knows. The negative things I heard before going into the job are seeming to make sense now, it's a shame. It has been a very eye opening experience.

Sorry for the rant, had to get it off my chest! Has anyone been in a similar position?

MissNoName 
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Re: Induction - Disappointed

Post by MissNoName  »

This sounds like you are really unhappy with the staff you are working with on your allocated wing, maybe wait until you're back there and if this treatment continues maybe rather than changing jobs and giving up, speak to your manager about changing your allocated wing and speak to them about any problems you are having. Don't keep these things in.
You should not be so unhappy so early on in the process.
I hope it works out for you in the end.
Applied - 06/12/20
Passed online tests - 23/12/20
VARC - 19/02/21
Passed VARC - 22/02/21
Conditional offer - 21/03/21
Vetting started - 01/04/21
Fitness and Medical Passed - 07/04/21

Lay19 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Lay19  »

I’m sorry that has happened to you. Stick it out, if you continue to hate the wing you’re assigned to, speak to a cm or even the governor about moving

What I noticed from my induction is there was a split between staff, in fairness the majority of staff I’ve met were lovely and took the time to speak to me

Others just blatantly ignored me, fine whatever, I won’t waste my time with them

However I would 100% speak to someone about the comments made to you personally that’s unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

Moonagedaydream
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Moonagedaydream »

It’s really sad to read that you had such an awful experience, no body deserves to be treated like that at a new place of work , especially when going into something like the prison service! You should definitely talk to someone about how you feel and how you were treated after all this isn’t some private club, it’s a service, one we all pay for every single day of our lives! And the management of new starters should be much better than that, and they might take on board what you have said and rectify things.

As for the racial comment, that is disgusting and you should report that person, it’s 2021 and shouldn’t be tolerated at all!!

I hope things get better and you can chat to someone! All the best :sllv:

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tia  »

I'm so sorry to read that you've been treated this way. It's hard to understand why grown adults behave in such a way. They were new at one time too and should certainly be more supportive. As a woman of colour myself, it concerns me that people feel that in 2021 it is acceptable to make comments based on the colour of someone's skin. I hope you find the strength you need not to give up on what you want as the process to get where you are is so lengthy and you've clearly shown your more than capable to do the role well! Keep us updated on how it goes and try not to let mindless idiots ruin it for you. As someone earlier suggested, maybe ask to be transferred to another wing if that is possible.

Meh

Post by Meh »

Thank you all for your kind words, much appreciated. I'm going to see what it's like after training and see what happens.

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tia  »

Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!🤞🏽

Thepower 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Thepower  »

Is it an old jail? A lot of these tend to be very militant, I started in a very militant local jail, some officers wouldn't speak to me when I started and would have rather spoken to the cons than speak to a probie, unless they were ex military.... I thought attitudes would have changed over the years but some of it still remains in place, unfortunately some officers have the attitude that a newbie needs to prove themselves before they are worthy seems to be thing in older nicks.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Every prison can differ form others. At my establishment there are lots of new staff, many in their first two years. They were all friendly, but inexperienced at the same time. This can be present other challenges for other new staff.
It’s true that in years gone by, the existing officers wouldn’t talk to newbies until they had a bit of time in or proved themselves. This was actually quite normal particularly in older prisons with old school staff. I’ve been told it’s changed , but clearly in your case you’ve experienced negativity.
Also, the prison service has a high turnover of new staff, some staff probably think it’s a waste of time training newbies who will leave soon after joining.
Give the job a go and see how you get on. Good luck.

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tia  »

How have you been getting on Meh?

Previous topicNext topic