Mental health declaration

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
BrianMLG

Mental health declaration

Post by BrianMLG »

Need some honest advice
I tried to commit suicide a year ago. Do I need to declare this to OH? Will this ruin my chances of getting the job?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Chat Room

Re: Mental health declaration

Post by TheRealMe »

So sorry to hear that. I’d say honesty is the best policy mate. If you’ve been diagnosed or treated for something then just be straight with them. You’ll likely be contacted by OH for an interview but I wouldn’t say this ruin your chances as it’s not uncommon these days, sadly. Hope that helps.

manc-apollo 
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Post by manc-apollo  »

Hi Brian. Hope you are well and have worked through your reason why you tried to commit suicide.

I would certainly stress that you need to let OH know about the time you were in crisis and the outcome. I wouldn't say it will ruin your chances of getting into the service but the service will need to know how best to support you!

I am by no means passing judgement with this question but.......
You are aware that this job is very, very stressful, people in your care will drop all their problems on you, you will be expected to support people in crisis with issues that may resonate with your own issue.
I worked along side two officers that attempted suicide. 1 was successful the other survived the pressure put on officers can be horrendous. I would think long and hard about your choice, whatever you decide good luck

kingofthekippax 
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kingofthekippax  »

I second Manc Apollo, the job is stressful and the prisoners will badger you constantly for things and you will see people who carry out self harm and others who attempt suicide. As this is an open forum I can't say too much but I have been serving for just over 1 year and in that time I have seen multiple attempts at suicide and self harm and 1 death in custody.
Please make sure what ever demons you previously had are well and truly in the past prior to joining the service, we don't want you to become just another statistic.
The service does have support available to all staff via occy health, 24/hour telephone help line and links with charities and most jail's will have some kind of care team and chaplains.
Good look with your career and your health. Remember it's good to talk !
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Thanks for the honest replies fellas 👍🏻

Keep up the great work

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Being honest, I’d echo this advice. I’ve only been out of training a few months. I’ve seen grown men break down in tears telling me how stressed they are, people self harming in front of me, done constant watches on people wanting to kill themselves.
You will deal with depressed, angry, emotional people every day.
The job takes its toll mentally on staff.

Previous topicNext topic