VARC

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Chat Room

VARC

Post by TheRealMe »

Evening all :slby:, with VARC day fast approaching I am looking for your insight into how your Virtual Assessment went. For those of you who have done the normal ARC or even the RAD, how did it differ? How did you find the experience of a virtual assessment? We’re there any curve balls thrown in? Any useful tips or inside knowledge?

Thanks in advance

Fleets28 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: VARC

Post by Fleets28  »

TheRealMe wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:55 pm Evening all :slby:, with VARC day fast approaching I am looking for your insight into how your Virtual Assessment went. For those of you who have done the normal ARC or even the RAD, how did it differ? How did you find the experience of a virtual assessment? We’re there any curve balls thrown in? Any useful tips or inside knowledge?

Thanks in advance
I did the VARC and really enjoyed it

Biggest piece of advice be yourself and don’t try and have pre prepared answers etc

It was very smoothly run and I found out within a few days that I was successful

Anything in particular you would like to know? X

Lay19 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Lay19  »

I really enjoyed my Varc, it’s run really well in fairness to the guys.

They ask strength based questions so it’s not something your can really prepare answers for. As Fleets said just need to be yourself

No curveballs thrown in

English test is done via a website link but they get you all sorted for it

Can’t use your phone as a calculator FYI, that caught me out so used the one on my laptop

Chez32 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice

Post by Chez32  »

Hey.. I done VARC and I loved it was so much fun. They were really helpful role plays were strange but also great fun! X

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Nothing in particular Fleets, just want to get some opinions and experiences. I’ve done both the old RAD and ARC and passed both times, just seems strange with not being face to face and relying on technology ha.

Thanks for the heads up, Lay. I’ll dig a calculator out 👍🏻

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

The role plays intrigue me. How is it done Chez? Are you both just sat at a computer screen?

Chez32 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice

Post by Chez32  »

Yeah so basically it just a zoom call.. you read up back ground info then you go in to another cal and basically act out the role xx

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

The Varc was really good fun! The role plays were strange being over zoom but they're more bothered about your natural response to the actor and showing how you can communicate with them! In our group session we were allowed to use our phone for a calculator, but best to get a calculator just incase! Good luck!

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

All good reports on here about the VARC process, I have nothing but positive views on it myself, everything was very user friendly and there were staff at hand to help.

Be prepared, have your laptop fully charged and near a power point as a precaution, a bottle of water or drink at hand but out of sight, good lighting, calculator, pen and paper, and a nice big smile !

I did the pre-covid ARC, I was more nervous for that as I didn’t know what to expect, and the role plays were more intimidating being face to face.

Tia 
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tia  »

My experience of the VARC was very positive. Very organised, friendly and helpful staff. I was worried I wouldn't be able to follow some of the instructions well but it's explained thoroughly and you're able to ask questions if you need too.

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Thank for the feedback everyone. I’m feeling positive and actually looking forward to it.

Taff86 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

What date is yours pal?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member