Fitness test

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
bradders84
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Fitness test

Post by bradders84 »

Hi Bear - hope this helps. I had the exact same thing happen when I went for the police medical (longish story - wont bore you). However, they allowed me to take some readings at home when im more relaxed and send them the results.
I suffer from what they call "White coat syndrome" - basically you get slightly anxious without realising when you se a nurse/doctor. May be worth asking if you can do your own and send the readings in.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Thanks for the advice pal, I’m seeing the GP tomorrow, if my readings are better then I know it was stress and nerves that got the better of me !

Samc

Post by Samc »

Hi guys, had my fitness test earlier and failed the bleep test by 5 shuttles (very disappointed!) the guy who conducted it was great and explained what to do and best ways to practise. How long did people wait before being able to resist? I believe my vetting is almost done so I’ll just be waiting on fitness. Thanks

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

When I did it in 2019, the people who failed then were told they could do it again within the next 4 weeks.

Obviously lots has gone on since then so check your portal for availability.

kinzku5 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kinzku5  »

I was able to book my retake for 6 weeks later. There were dates available for before that but I couldn't make any of them. Your portal should update with new dates when they become available.
09/10/20 - Applied
05/12/20 - Passed ARC & failed fitness
15/01/21 - Passed fitness retake & on merit list
14/02/21 - Offer accepted
19/02/21 - Vetting began
10/03/21 - Start date call
10/05/21 - Start date

Samc

Post by Samc »

Cheers guys thanks for getting back to me, I’m hoping for around 3 weeks time gives me enough time to practise and pass. Thanks again

Field1234
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Field1234 »

Yes 3 weeks should be plenty of time! Try the couch to 5k app or do running intervals every other day,

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor »

I love the couch to 5k app I downloaded that 2 years ago and having done no running at all (I was always a big Cyclist) I loved the superb learning curve of that, you can literally start from 0 experience, excellent :tr:

Field1234
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Field1234 »

Put it this way I’m 18 stone and hadn’t worked out in years, I got an email to book my fitness test only 3 weeks after passing my VARC and I did the couch to 5k app... and did some practise bleep tests! And passed my fitness test!! So it’s definitely achievable!

Chez30

Post by Chez30 »

My status has gone to referred for a decision for vetting I had my CTC done and that’s back, I have my fitness Thursday but I’m just really struggling with the bleep test sometime I can get there and sometimes not really nervous

Chezz

Post by Chezz »

Shortyshan wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 pm Hey guys! So I passed!! :slyay:

Thanks for all your advice and support! Really helped to prepare and calm me 🥰
Hey congratulations
I have mine on Thursday, I just feel I’m not ready. It’s making me ill with worry.. I just feel I need to relax I think it’s my nerves aswell.

spacegeneral 
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by spacegeneral  »

Chezz wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 am
Hey congratulations
I have mine on Thursday, I just feel I’m not ready. It’s making me ill with worry.. I just feel I need to relax I think it’s my nerves aswell.
[/quote]

I'm sure you're plenty ready, the fitness test really isn't that hard. The hardest part is the bleep test and training for it is very accessible. I'd recommend to go for a 15 minutes jog every morning until then, and practise your cardio by doing :
1 minute run / 1 minute walk
3 minutes run / 3 minutes walk
5 minutes run / 3 minutes walk

That helps building cardio. Good luck!

Jason95
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Jason95 »

Conditional offer through yesterday evening! :) Just waiting for some dates through to book my fitness and medical! Feeling rather relaxed about the fitness test. Did a practice bleep test and scored 11 and could of gone further :) Only concern i have is im a type 1 diabetic, having spoken to a few people who work in the service already, theyve made me aware this shouldnt be a problem aslong as its looked after, which it is and it doesnt affect my day to day life as i have it very much under good control. Does anyone know of any stories of people failing the medical due to having type one diabetes? :)

PolaR
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PolaR »

Jason95 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 pm Conditional offer through yesterday evening! :) Just waiting for some dates through to book my fitness and medical! Feeling rather relaxed about the fitness test. Did a practice bleep test and scored 11 and could of gone further :) Only concern i have is im a type 1 diabetic, having spoken to a few people who work in the service already, theyve made me aware this shouldnt be a problem aslong as its looked after, which it is and it doesnt affect my day to day life as i have it very much under good control. Does anyone know of any stories of people failing the medical due to having type one diabetes? :)
How do you measure that mate? I’ve never heard of bleep test or done one ever in my life, I saw couple of videos on youtube and wondering which one should I try on?
I am doing cardio training everyday anyway so feeling pretty confident about my fitness but just thinking of taking a practice test just to see what’s what!

Jason95
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Jason95 »

Do you use spotify? Or youtube could do it, if you just search 15 metre bleep test on one of them and then set out 2 cones 15 metres apart, and you just have to run inbetween the cones before the bleep! The first few rounds are very slow but it speeds up. You have to get to level 5.4 to pass at the fitness test :) You should be fine!