Fitness test

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
PolaR
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Fitness test

Post by PolaR »

Oh yeah, thanks, I shall use a back garden as my bleep trail then and see how I’ll get on on the weekend! 💪🏻
Do you do anything for a grip test? I started to squeeze a stress ball but not sure if it does anything 😂

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

Good idea! And i havent thought about that really but that could work, ive heard squeezing a tennis ball helps too apparently!

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

Fitness test booked for end of April in Bristol, it was the earliest date available and having to travel a few hours but itll be worth it! A few weeks to get prepared!

Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

PolaR wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm Oh yeah, thanks, I shall use a back garden as my bleep trail then and see how I’ll get on on the weekend! 💪🏻
Do you do anything for a grip test? I started to squeeze a stress ball but not sure if it does anything 😂
I just did my fitness and medical today.
The grip test is nothing to worry about it’s very easy. I over thought it and when I did it I was punching over50 kg I’m female and not the strongest of people.. the shield test is very easy wouldn’t need much to prepare for it..

The bleep test I have worried myself sick with feeling like I wouldn’t pass it I was running on my own as the other person failed medical so I had to do it alone and I found it to be easier definitely practice it’s the turns
2 bananas and orange juice and stretches good luck

PolaR
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PolaR »

Fuzzy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:14 pm
PolaR wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 pm Oh yeah, thanks, I shall use a back garden as my bleep trail then and see how I’ll get on on the weekend! 💪🏻
I just did my fitness and medical today.
The grip test is nothing to worry about it’s very easy. I over thought it and when I did it I was punching over50 kg I’m female and not the strongest of people.. the shield test is very easy wouldn’t need much to prepare for it..

The bleep test I have worried myself sick with feeling like I wouldn’t pass it I was running on my own as the other person failed medical so I had to do it alone and I found it to be easier definitely practice it’s the turns
2 bananas and orange juice and stretches good luck
Aww thank you so much for this post! You have really helped my nerves, I am freaking out about this grip test 😂 not that worried about bleep test, but I am going to pratice this over the weekend to see how I keep up. Congratulations for doing so well on yours!

Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Pixie'

Post by Francesca98 »

Jason95 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 am Fitness test booked for end of April in Bristol, it was the earliest date available and having to travel a few hours but itll be worth it! A few weeks to get prepared!
Hey I am going there next week! Any tips or advice, I’m
Only going for 50 minutes and I’m nervous as hell! No clue what to expect... I am anxious for the grip test and run

Rugby Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Rugby Man »

Hi Francesa98,

Don’t worry about the others tests. The most difficult is the bleep test.
The first will be the grip test, you only have to press a little hand machine. The 2nd test is the shield, which you have to hold the shield in a 45 degrees position for 1 minute. Then you will do the bleep test and after pass, finally you will do the agility, which is very easy and you have a plenty of time to run around the cones.
Don’t worry, you will smash it!
21/12/2020 - Applied
19/02/2021 - Virtual ARC
22/02/2021 - Passed VARC
22/03/2021 - Conditional Offer accepted
29/03/2021 - Vetting started
29/04/2021 - Medical/Fitness passed
03/06/2021 - Vetting passed
09/06/2021 - The call
06/09/2021 - Start date

Spikey11 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Spikey11  »

Hi I have my fitness retake next month after tripping over 2m from the end of the bleep test 😢 if I am successful next time 🤞 I was wondering once you become a prison officer how often are you required to take the fitness and medical and what would be the implications if you did not pass thanks xx

Taff86 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

Fitness test once a year, fail 2 times then your put on a plan to pass the next. Fail the 3rd time it gets taken further.

Spikey11 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Spikey11  »

Thanks Taff86 so could you potentially be dismissed if you fail x

Taff86 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

Potentially I guess, I think they would push you to osg or a non operational role before sacking, all depends on the establishment. They will try their best to make you pass and give you every opportunity.

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Chat Room

Post by TheRealMe »

Anyone done theirs in Leeds? Sounds like a gym/leisure centre by the name. Just wondering what it’s like for parking?

KIT85
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by KIT85 »

I did mine in Leeds, parking directly outside, which I didn’t realise at the time so parked in a side street. The actual place isn’t very well sign posted. But it’s up a set of stone stairs. Good luck

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Chat Room

Post by TheRealMe »

Cheers kit, I’ve still got a few weeks to go but just want to be best prepared as possible as the information I’ve had so far is very little. What do you need to take with you in terms of documentation/I.D?

KIT85
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by KIT85 »

I was told to take all the doc I’d supplied for my application, proof of address, drivers licence , passport etc. I took it all but wasn’t asked for it. Another guy was asked for his id tho? I was really nervous but if you have a level of fitness you will be fine. The instructors there were great at explaining.

Previous topicNext topic